Author Topic: Some Photos from the Schiffahrtsmuseum, Regensburg, Germany  (Read 921 times)

Offline Adam G

Some Photos from the Schiffahrtsmuseum, Regensburg, Germany
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »
Hi all,

I made these photos for J.L. in particular, but I am sure others might like to see some photos of the marine steam engine in the paddle tug that houses the Schiffahrtsmuseum in Regensburg, Germany.

The tug “Ruthof” was launched on the Danube in Regensburg in 1923, hit a mine and sank in Hungary in 1944, was salvaged in 1957 and renamed “Ersekcsanad” in 1958, had a service life which lasted into the 1970s, and was “christened” as a floating museum in 1983.

The boilers and engine can be seen below, and there are some fine models of paddle steamers and the craft that preceded and succeeded them on display in addition to a couple of impressive dioramas depicting early boat construction and salt transport. (I will eventually upload photos of the models and dioramas to the German paper-modeling site I am a member of and will provide a link here later.)

Kind regards,

Adam

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Some Photos from the Schiffahrtsmuseum, Regensburg, Germany
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
The 'Old Girl' looks to be in remarkable condition and well presented. A fitting tribute to a bygone age

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »
Hello Adam,

So wonderful that such a piece of history was able to be saved. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:05:32 PM »
Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for taking these wonderful pictures. You shot in low light and yet got stunning results.  :ThumbsUp:

This was very kind of you to share them. I see so many similaritiies between such things as the ring of studs and bolts around the cylinder head and the shot looking down to con rod. The big end is exactly the shape of the one machined for the Bolton No. 7!

A significant collection of historical photographs Adam. The curator in care of the vessel should definitely see them.

Thank you for thinking of my build and intererst in detail as they were taken.

Your friend,

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
Wonderful pictures Adam, thanks for sharing them!!

Bill

Offline Adam G

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Mike, Thomas and Bill.

John, we visited the steamer with you in mind. I wasn't sure how much of the engine we would get to see, but there weren't many places which were chained off and we had the whole boat to ourselves to explore at our leisure.

It was quite a coincidence that the connecting rod is so similar to the one on your current engine, and I really enjoyed seeing the life-size eccentrics up close and personal.

By the way, the cylinder in the photo is 1.3 metres in diameter and its smaller, unseen counterpart is 70 centimetres.

Cheers,

Adam
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:23:08 PM by Adam G »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal