Author Topic: Drawing boards, anyone still use them?  (Read 4415 times)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
Re: Drawing boards, anyone still use them?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
Aha... yes - I can definitely see the appeal of using a real drawing board.

Offline RayW

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »
I too was trained on a drawing board and still prefer pencil and paper, although I am trying to teach myself Fusion 360. My father-in law was a professional draughtsman and when he died, I inherited his huge old drawing board. As I had no real use for it, I gradually dismantled it and salvaged the wood for other uses. Somewhere tucked away, I still have the old geared shaft and the big geared quadrants that controlled the tilt angle.
The main thing that I have and still use occasionally is a very large, and beautifully made, T-square. about 57 inches long. The only problem is that it is so big, about the only place to use it is on the floor!
Ray

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 08:22:10 PM »
I was trained on drawing boards and pencil/Indian ink, but there's no way I'd go back. When designing I'll make a lot of quick paper sketches until I'm sure the design I have in my head is feasible. Then I start making parts and assemblies in 3D CAD. Finally I create 2D CAD drawings.

Andrew

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 08:54:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

I started out many years ago (55+) using a drafting table, pencil, straight edge, French curve, etc and of course a box of gum erasers. All the calculations were done with a Slide Rule and on a manual (hand cranked / see photo) calculating machine. As soon as the personal computer and design software was available, I made the change. Today I mainly use AutoCAD for most of my design work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal