Author Topic: Monitor by Julius  (Read 1677 times)

Offline flopearedmule

Monitor by Julius
« on: September 21, 2018, 01:41:39 AM »
Well after pondering for a couple months now on what engine I will build for my winter project.  I think I finally set on the Monitor (Imperial dimensions)
I'm wondering if any of you guys know of any errors to look for before I start??
I have the side plates ready to cut and start milling.
I'm going to scale it up 25%

The L shaped link that pushes the d valve in and out is missing the x dimension between the center hole to the center of slot, and center hole to center of hole on bottom. 
In the 2X drawings this link is not a L shape but straight.  Maybe i should just scale that one down.

Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:52:14 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Monitor by Julius
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:57:16 AM »
Excellent - we have not had a Monitor engine build here in a while. This will make number 5? 6?

I did one scaled down, dont recall any errors in the plans from that build.
 :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 02:04:21 AM »
Went and looked at mine, and scaling it back up to the original dimension, it comes out to 1/2" in the X direction to the center of the slot. The dimension has some tolerance, since you can adjust the length of the connecting rods.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:39:27 AM »
Excellent - we have not had a Monitor engine build here in a while. This will make number 5? 6?

I did one scaled down, dont recall any errors in the plans from that build.
 :popcorn:

Thanks crueby, I did a quick measurement with a scale and it looked like .5 was probably the number.

My hat goes off to you for the very small size.
I would rather go a little bigger.  I don't like using that small of screws, my eyes are already having a tough time.  I thought about 50% bigger, but I think it would be a little heavy. (28" long)

Do you have some pictures of yours? video?

I bought the two volumes "Historic Engines Worth Modelling"  I was going to build the Simpson & Shipton, but then I showed the wife a video of the Monitor and video of the Simpson & Shipton.(maybe the S&S for next year)  She liked the Monitor better.  Said it looked like a grasshopper  :Lol:
I showed her what we call a grasshopper type engine and she didn't get it.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 02:59:18 AM »
Here is my build

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5685.0.html

If you search for threads with Monitor in the title you should get several others builds too.

:cheers:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 04:37:10 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Simpson & Shipton short stroke what Stan was working on?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »
Hi flopearedmule

I built one with the metric plans and it was fun. 

I have attached below some dimension omissions/corrections than Julius and Bruce noticed.  These are all for the metric plans but could be helpful to you. There could have been more but not sure about it.  If there were I would have mentioned them in my build.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6070.0.html

Vince

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Simpson & Shipton short stroke what Stan was working on?
Art

yes, that's right.  Anthony Mount has another design also.  I can only find a couple engines with the Mount design online.  There are no build threads that I can find of the Anthony Mount design.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
Hi flopearedmule

I built one with the metric plans and it was fun. 

I have attached below some dimension omissions/corrections than Julius and Bruce noticed.  These are all for the metric plans but could be helpful to you. There could have been more but not sure about it.  If there were I would have mentioned them in my build.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6070.0.html

Vince

Thanks Vince,  That 13 mm number is what I was looking for. Where did you find that on Julius's prints??

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 01:29:52 PM »
That dimension was not on the plans but Bruce (another Monitor builder) figured it out.

Vince

Offline kvom

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »
I sketched the outline of the part in Solidworks using only the given dimensions.  There are no constraints on the separation of either then end hole or slot using only these dimensions.  If I make the assumption that the top arm is 1/2" wide and that the edge of the 3/8" circle is 1/16" away from the edge of the arm, then the center of the slot to the center of the 3/8 bush is 1/2".  The lateral distance between the holes is the same using the same assumptions for the lower arm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal