Author Topic: Another air powered (maybe) Radial engine  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Hagar

Re: Another air powered (maybe) Radial engine
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:50 PM »
Very clean design. I love this tiny star 9. :Love:
It seems to reach high RPM and no vibration. Pretty sound too.

Any device in the crankshaft to rout the air towards the right cylinder or every connecting tube always hold pressure ?
What's hiden inside the heads ? Ball valves ?

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 06:31:27 PM »
Hello Gary,

Wow, love that video.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 07:29:19 PM »
Absolutely awesome Gary. You should have a booth at OshGosh for the EAA crowd  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:

Eric

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 05:46:18 AM »
Great little runner, Gary!  Thanks for the video  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline galland

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
I had sent Hagar a message last night kind of trying to explain how the engine functioned. I am not sure if I am that good at explaining things. If you see this Hagar it is a sketch of how the rear case or chamber works. Nothing on it is to scale. You had asked if there were any type of seals in it to keep air from leaking. Other than my O-rings used to get the air from the base to in the rear chamber there are none. With a rotary valve or cam you just try for the best fit you can get in the bore of the chamber. I did lap the two and feel I got a perfect fit. On the engine I somewhat copied, the air valve from (Rudy K's  Radial 5) His valve or cam has one groove and one flat and the exhaust is sent through a hole into the hollow shaft and out the rear of the engine. On mine I used 2 grooves and each has its corresponding flat so one is intake air and one is exhaust air. The intake flat shoots air into each of the 9 ports as it passes them and the exhaust flat sends the air out 4 ports I put on the bottom side of the chamber (one each in the #4 thru 7 position. The flats are not spaced as shown in the sketch. It was drawn that way to see them better. Hope I didn't bore anyone to death.

Gary

Offline Hagar

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »
Hi Gary,

Thank you for the sketch. The crankshaft is also a rotative valve and is machined very close to the bore + lapping. Skill instead of seals. ^-^

I note this somewhere deep inside my head. Maybe one day, something like this will appear on a future mechanical creature of mine. :naughty:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »
Hagar, Village Press offers one of their spiral bound books that contains Rudy's radial 5 cylinder. The books are 12-15 dollars IIRC and would give you something to study and look at. Not as difficult as you may think

.https://secure.villagepress.com/store/items/detail/page/2/item/1216

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal