Supporting > My Workshop

Down the CNC rabbit hole

(1/3) > >>

Myrickman:
Always wanted to get into CNC and this past fall a friend offered up in trade an Isel three axis gantry...so I bit. The unit had old windows 98 controls and had been in storage for a while. So after watching many YouTube videos I figured out what I needed. It has 600 oz steppers and a Gecko G540 stepper drive. The spindle is a 2 hp water cooled Chinesium unit off eBay. While at last year's Cabin fever, I purchased a Mach4 hobby license and I was off. I made the stand from 1-1/2" square tubing. Communication from the computer to the stepper driver is via a UC100 adapter over a USB cable which is Mach supported. My first trials were using some bit maps converted to SVF and then to gcode using Inkscape. Current hole I'm down is learning Fusion 360. Mach also has a neat engraving wizard I'm playing with to get my feet wet with homing and setups.

Myrickman:
So after some practice and running an indicator on the spindle mount to get the work surface not shown flat, I was able to make this tag for one of my engines at a depth of 0.004" on the cutter. Needless to say I was pleased with the end result for a rookie.

Dave Otto:
Looks great Paul, you are going to have a lot of fun with your new toy!

Dave

b.lindsey:
Nice crisp engraving!! Looks great to me too Paul.

Bill

Johnmcc69:
 :ThumbsUp:
 You should be pleased! That's very cool!
 You're going to be having a lot of fun with that.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version