Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65796 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #555 on: September 06, 2019, 07:49:34 PM »
Thomas, I'm 73 years old. I have spent a very large share of my years building hotrods from cars of the early 1930's and late 1920's. Some of them have been very fast drag racing cars. Some of them have been very classy "daily drivers". If you spend enough time working with old cars to the extent that I did, you get to know the terminology. The yellow pickup truck in the picture was my last hotrod. It represents a soft top pickup truck that was actually produced by Ford from the early 1920's to the mid 1930's.  The big deal here is that there were very few of them made. I wanted one, so I started with a two door steel sedan body. I cut the top off. I shortened the body by over three feet. I designed and built the steel bed from scratch. I boxed the frame. I put in a small block Chev V8 with three speed automatic transmission. I designed and built the tubular frame for the soft top and had it upholstered by a professional . It had a  full custom suspension and 4" dropped I-beam front axle. All welding and painting was done by myself.  This pickup was driven from central Ontario to the East Coast Nationals in Moncton New Brunswick in 2001. About five years ago I realized that my arthritis was getting so bad that I could no longer get down on the floor to do any work on it. I admire what you are doing, and I follow your posts.---Brian
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:05:37 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #556 on: September 06, 2019, 08:34:46 PM »
Really coming together now Thomas. Will be sorry to see this one end. You and you buggy will be the hit of the neighborhood!! Maybe you need some old fashioned attire as well when driving the buggy around  ;)

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #557 on: September 06, 2019, 09:37:44 PM »
Thomas, I'm 73 years old. I have spent a very large share of my years building hotrods from cars of the early 1930's and late 1920's. Some of them have been very fast drag racing cars. Some of them have been very classy "daily drivers". If you spend enough time working with old cars to the extent that I did, you get to know the terminology. The yellow pickup truck in the picture was my last hotrod. It represents a soft top pickup truck that was actually produced by Ford from the early 1920's to the mid 1930's.  The big deal here is that there were very few of them made. I wanted one, so I started with a two door steel sedan body. I cut the top off. I shortened the body by over three feet. I designed and built the steel bed from scratch. I boxed the frame. I put in a small block Chev V8 with three speed automatic transmission. I designed and built the tubular frame for the soft top and had it upholstered by a professional . It had a  full custom suspension and 4" dropped I-beam front axle. All welding and painting was done by myself.  This pickup was driven from central Ontario to the East Coast Nationals in Moncton New Brunswick in 2001. About five years ago I realized that my arthritis was getting so bad that I could no longer get down on the floor to do any work on it. I admire what you are doing, and I follow your posts.---Brian

Hello Brian,

Wow, wow, wow. Love your little yellow truck, lots of very neat details; the front bumper, 32 Grill, Moon hub caps, pin striping, shaved doors, and the list goes on. Looks like you started with a 30 or 31 year model and just did a wonderful job with the sheet metal.

Well I am 78 going on 100  :ROFL:, built my first Hot Rod, a 33 Ford 5-window coupe, when I was 15. Have been in love with cars, motorcycles and all things mechanical ever sense. Unfortunately I am now at the point that I just cannot do what I want to in the shop any longer.

The attached photo is my brothers 1932 Ford Coupe in the foreground and my 1933 in the background. I had just channeled my car and sprayed on some purple primer, wild. My brothers car was original stock and he had removed the fenders and running boards to make it a "highboy". My parents sure put up with a lot of foolishness from us back in those days. There wasn't any car within all the surrounding counties that could out run me in a quarter-mile.....that was until 1957 when Chevy came out with that high-stack fuel injected 283 V8 and the era of the Ford Flathead met it's match :LittleDevil: oh well.

Thanks for sharing your photo and a short trip down memory lane, have a great day.
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #558 on: September 06, 2019, 09:41:35 PM »
Really coming together now Thomas. Will be sorry to see this one end. You and you buggy will be the hit of the neighborhood!! Maybe you need some old fashioned attire as well when driving the buggy around  ;)

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thank you this has been a fun build.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #559 on: September 06, 2019, 10:18:56 PM »
Thomas--Sounds like you and I had a lot in common!!!----Brian

« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »
Hello everyone,

This morning I uploaded Part-25 to my YouTube channel about building the 1898 Horseless Carriage and this will be the last video. Due to health reasons I have decided to stop work on the Buggy and sell it as is. I wish to thank everyone for following along and for all the kind words of encouragement. I am sorry fellows but my back condition just does not allow me to do all the necessary work that is required without too much mental and physical discomfort. Not to worry, I have plenty other projects that will keep me plenty busy and hopefully out of trouble for a long time.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8oFVblO6s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8oFVblO6s</a>
Thomas

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #561 on: September 08, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »
Hi Thomas, I am sorry to hear that your back is causing you to drop the completion of this project, it has been an ambitious build, and most interesting to watch along as you progressed.

I hope you are soon well enough to work on something smaller.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #562 on: September 08, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »
No Thomas,

That's not the way this story should end. Hang on to the buggy for a while. You have already put your heart and soul into building it. Hopefully you will recover well enough to complete this beauty, or perhaps you may find a youngster eager to help you.

Hang in there a while longer.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:08:50 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #563 on: September 08, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
I agree with Mike here. Hang on to it or as Mike said, find someone to help with the heavy lifting and such. Also hoping your back gets better too of course!!

Bill

« Reply #564 on: September 08, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
Hi Thomas, I am sorry to hear that your back is causing you to drop the completion of this project, it has been an ambitious build, and most interesting to watch along as you progressed.

I hope you are soon well enough to work on something smaller.

MJM460

Hello MJM460,

Thank you, and yes I do have plenty more smaller projects that will keep me busy and satisfied for a long time. I appreciate you following along on the build and glad you enjoyed the progress.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #565 on: September 08, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »
Very sorry to hear about this, really hope things do improve!

« Reply #566 on: September 08, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »
No Thomas,

That's not the way this story should end. Hang on to the buggy for a while. You have already put your heart and soul into building it. Hopefully you will recover well enough to complete this beauty, or perhaps you may find a youngster eager to help you.

Hang in there a while longer.

Mike

Hello and thank you to Mike and Bill,

Fellows I truly do appreciate your concern and suggestion, however my decision to sell the Buggy was not easy and has been something that I have considered now for quite a few months. Please understand I am not complaining, but my shop time has always been fun and a source of pure pleasure along with the challenge and reward. Again not complaining, but my back situation has made my shop time a "chore". I had much rather see someone get the Buggy and have fun completing it to their own requirements and then enjoy owning and using it every day, rather than put it into storage. I am OK with this now and looking forward to pursuing another hobby.

Thanks again fellows and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #567 on: September 08, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
Very sorry to hear about this, really hope things do improve!

Hello Chris and thank you so much.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2019, 05:38:55 AM »
Thomas,
I'm very sorry to hear your back troubles are that sever and I hope that they improve.  I'm also sorry not to see you complete this project.  I've been enjoying following along.  And your enthusiasm has made it very enjoyable!  But if its not fun for you anymore, then by all means, do something that's fun.  Life's too short to spend it doing something that no longer brings you enjoyment.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever projects you choose to pursue. I hope some of them will be in the model engineering world, but if not, enjoy yourself, whatever it is!

Kim

« Reply #569 on: September 09, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »
Thomas,
I'm very sorry to hear your back troubles are that sever and I hope that they improve.  I'm also sorry not to see you complete this project.  I've been enjoying following along.  And your enthusiasm has made it very enjoyable!  But if its not fun for you anymore, then by all means, do something that's fun.  Life's too short to spend it doing something that no longer brings you enjoyment.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever projects you choose to pursue. I hope some of them will be in the model engineering world, but if not, enjoy yourself, whatever it is!

Kim

Hello Kim,

I thank you so very much for the kind and understanding words. I have had as much fun following everyone's builds here on the Forum as much as I have working on my own projects.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal