Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65673 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »
That's some beautiful fab work on that truck cab! Is that entirely aluminum as well?

& great work on the carriage body!

:popcorn: :ThumbsUp:
 John

Hello John and thank you,

The interior framing is steel tube but all of the exterior is aluminum. That was quite a project.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2019, 09:25:20 PM »
That truck cab is a beaut!  My shop elves are drooling over it, and muttering something about putting a big block in a Lombard frame with that cab...

Hello Chris,

Man wouldn't that make a great looking log hauler. OK, we now know what the next project will be  :stir: Tell your Elves to get ready.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
Wow, that is looking slick, Thomas!  Dunno...I kinda like the bare Aluminum too...maybe do some jeweling down the side and leave it bare?  Either way, it's really coming together, keep up the good work!

Hello Bent,

I also like the natural look of aluminum but in my dreams it is painted Cherry Wine Maroon and tooling down a one lane dirt road terrorizing the local farm animals.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #513 on: July 30, 2019, 09:39:51 PM »
That's some excellent aluminium fabrication  :praise2:  :praise2:

It puts my little buggy (being used by my daughter as an invalid carriage here) to shame  :-\

Hello Roger,

Your little "Jeepster" is really neat looking. There is a company here state side that is producing an all aluminum Jeep body that bolts directly on an original frame.

Thank you and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2019, 02:47:05 AM »
Now I know what the proper name is for Panel Pins, Cleco fasteners.
I had run into them in the boat building industry and the air craft industry, but they were always referred to as Panel Pins or Alignment Pins. The last time I seen them in person was at a tour of an aircraft manufacturer in Malton Ontario.  We were there for interviews for CNC programmer/operators and they gave us the whole nine mile tour, including the wing and body assembly's. One of the wings was brisling like a porcupine with panel pins, one of the other applicants said that he would hate to be the guy that had to grind them all down. The rest of us who knew what the pins were for or who had figured it out didn't enlighten him, just hopping he would ask one of the supervisors giving the tour (there were 20 of us on the tour and only 12 jobs open).
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
Now I know what the proper name is for Panel Pins, Cleco fasteners.
I had run into them in the boat building industry and the air craft industry, but they were always referred to as Panel Pins or Alignment Pins. The last time I seen them in person was at a tour of an aircraft manufacturer in Malton Ontario.  We were there for interviews for CNC programmer/operators and they gave us the whole nine mile tour, including the wing and body assembly's. One of the wings was brisling like a porcupine with panel pins, one of the other applicants said that he would hate to be the guy that had to grind them all down. The rest of us who knew what the pins were for or who had figured it out didn't enlighten him, just hopping he would ask one of the supervisors giving the tour (there were 20 of us on the tour and only 12 jobs open).
Gerald.

Hello Gerald,

Other companies may make this style of clip but I have only known them by Cleco. I cannot remember the full correct name of the original maker but it was something like "Cleveland Manufacturing".

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »

Hello Roger,

Your little "Jeepster" is really neat looking. There is a company here state side that is producing an all aluminum Jeep body that bolts directly on an original frame.

Thank you and have a great day,
Thomas

It's seen some service, I built it when my daughter was about the size of my granddaughter walking alongside so 25+ year ago  :old:
Best regards

Roger

« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2019, 12:25:01 AM »
Hello everyone,

I added another video showing a bit more detail of assembling some of the panels and how to install the Cherrymax Rivets and the equipment used.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsbJpEv6BeQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsbJpEv6BeQ</a>
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2019, 02:07:11 AM »
Wow, that's really coming together great!  Thanks for the details of the rivets, never seen that before.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2019, 03:15:55 AM »
Wow, that's really coming together great!  Thanks for the details of the rivets, never seen that before.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hello Chris,

Those are the same rivets that I used on the Field Truck Cab, they are a bit pricy but super strong.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Marcus09

« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
Great work! It's gonna be a killer :)

« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
Great work! It's gonna be a killer :)

Hello Marcus and thank you,

I am excited about how the Body is turning out and the overall looks so far. The most difficult panels to put together will be the Dash, Hood and the Grill which will be the last pieces to assemble. I am hoping that everything continues going as smoothly as it has been and in a week or so the Body will be completely assembled.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #522 on: August 01, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
Hello everyone,

Got a little more done this morning before my back gave out. Took all the panels apart again and de-burred all the holes, cut the Top Rails to length, cut the Bottom Rails into three parts and Cleco them all back together. Then installed all the Cherrymax rivets.
 Photo-1 Shows the Spacer, Top Rail and Bottom Rail now installed outside view.
 Photo-2 Inside view of the installed Rails
 Photo-3 Shows how the Top Rail extends 1/2-inch above the side to act as a Guide for the Turtleback as it closes and acts as a water barrier when closed.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #523 on: August 02, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
Hello everyone,

Well I got enough work completed this morning on the Body so that I was able to test fit the Turtleback in place. Super pleased that it was almost a perfect fit, all I had to do later was round off the top edge of each side panel and the corners of the interior brace. With that bit of clean up finished the Turtleback fit perfect. Now I have to take all of that apart and do the de-burring and cleaning and it will be ready to do the riveting process.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #524 on: August 02, 2019, 11:31:43 PM »
Wow!  That looks great from here. Keep up the good work.

P.S.  I live less than half an hour from where a lot of the "horsless carrages" were built and sold. If you based yours on something from Detroit I can probably pin point where it was built.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal