Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65732 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #495 on: July 29, 2019, 07:13:35 PM »
Oooh! Body is shaping up great!!

If all the driver slots are filled, the rest of us can get towed in our little red wagons...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #496 on: July 29, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »
That is going together fast Thomas. Looks great too!!

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #497 on: July 29, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »

If all the driver slots are filled, the rest of us can get towed in our little red wagons...

Hello Chris,

I guess a trailer hitch needs to be added :headscratch: 

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #498 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:43 PM »
That is going together fast Thomas. Looks great too!!

Bill

Hello Bill and thank you,

Well looks can be deceiving, those panels have just been drilled and the Cleco fasteners installed. All that needs to come apart and then all the holes need to be deburred and cleaned. The side rails ( 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 angle ) needs to be cut to the correct length and then reassembled. Then the interior panels and braces can be installed and removed, etc, etc....

My back got to hurting pretty good, so I just stopped for the day. Hope to get back after it tomorrow.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #499 on: July 29, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »
Hello everyone,

I made another short video showing some of the assembly procedure.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivy90ZgafA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivy90ZgafA</a>
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #500 on: July 29, 2019, 09:57:45 PM »

Hello Chris,

I guess a trailer hitch needs to be added :headscratch: 

Have a great day,
Thomas
Nah - we'll just tie on some bungie cords!   :o

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2019, 03:11:16 AM »
Thomas, are you going to use solid rivets? Like the spring loaded Clecos, when I was in the industry(aviation), our Clecos were closed with a knurled nut, so not as quick as those ones, but probably no cheaper, just didn't need pliers to set them.
Ian S C

« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
Thomas, are you going to use solid rivets? Like the spring loaded Clecos, when I was in the industry(aviation), our Clecos were closed with a knurled nut, so not as quick as those ones, but probably no cheaper, just didn't need pliers to set them.
Ian S C

Hello Ian,

I plan to use two different styles of rivets. One will be Solid Aluminum Round Head Rivets using a air hammer ( rivet gun ) along with a standard Bucking Bar. The second will be Cherrymax Rivets ( the aerospace rivets ) which require a special air over hydraulic rivet gun that pulls 3,500 pounds of pressure to set that rivet. You being in the aviation industry are most likely familiar with Cherrymax Rivets. I will do a video on the Cherrymax showing how to use and set them.

I don't know how long the "spring loaded" Cleco has been in use, I first used them back in the late 60's. I was rebuilding an Aeronca Chief airplane and a friend loaned me some of his Cleco's and showed me how to use them.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »
I think there is a little box with a few 1/8" Cherrymax rivets out in the workshop, but no way to set them. Most work was on Cessna 100 series aircraft, mainly 180/185, and 188 Agwagon. Gave all my Clicos to the RNZAF* Museum in Christchurch NZ for use in aircraft restoration.
Your doing a great job there, at first I thought the aluminium was a bit thick at 1/8", but then again it's not going to fly, and you don't want it to dent as soon as someone puts something on top of it.*Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Ian S C

« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2019, 03:55:42 PM »
I think there is a little box with a few 1/8" Cherrymax rivets out in the workshop, but no way to set them. Most work was on Cessna 100 series aircraft, mainly 180/185, and 188 Agwagon. Gave all my Clicos to the RNZAF* Museum in Christchurch NZ for use in aircraft restoration.
Your doing a great job there, at first I thought the aluminium was a bit thick at 1/8", but then again it's not going to fly, and you don't want it to dent as soon as someone puts something on top of it.*Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Ian S C

Hello again Ian,

I could have used a lighter gauge material but in this case I am not concerned about additional weight and the extra cost versa 3/32" thick is almost nothing. And you are correct, I do not want any dents so the 1/8" will provide that extra strength. I have build so many boats in the past both pleasure and commercial and learned to error to the thicker material when possible.

Several years ago I designed and built a replica of a 1915 Field (brand name) 1-ton truck cab and used the same material and it worked out really well. (see photos) I also used the Cherrymax rivets which took just shy of 600 of them.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
That truck cab is a beaut!  My shop elves are drooling over it, and muttering something about putting a big block in a Lombard frame with that cab...

« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

Another short day in the shop so I made a video showing the assembly of the two Body Side Panels and uploaded to my youtube channel.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JaQdQi8Rg0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JaQdQi8Rg0</a>
Thomas

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #507 on: July 30, 2019, 07:19:09 PM »
That's some beautiful fab work on that truck cab! Is that entirely aluminum as well?

& great work on the carriage body!

:popcorn: :ThumbsUp:
 John

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #508 on: July 30, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
Wow, that is looking slick, Thomas!  Dunno...I kinda like the bare Aluminum too...maybe do some jeweling down the side and leave it bare?  Either way, it's really coming together, keep up the good work!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #509 on: July 30, 2019, 08:30:12 PM »
That's some excellent aluminium fabrication  :praise2:  :praise2:

It puts my little buggy (being used by my daughter as an invalid carriage here) to shame  :-\
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal