Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65845 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #450 on: June 20, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
Fantastic Thomas!!! Great video of where things stand at the moment too.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #451 on: June 20, 2019, 07:43:34 PM »
Wow - it has really taken shape, excellent job!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #452 on: June 20, 2019, 08:44:16 PM »
Thanks guys, Bent, Bill and Chris

Most pleased to get to this point. On this next phase there will be a lot of work but it will not show up very much. The little fiddley items to make for all the linkage parts and pieces. Spent two hours designing a new Transmission Post to replace the factory part. I need the Shift Lever on the transmission to be at a 90 angle from the input shaft, so I have to remake a new post.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #453 on: July 19, 2019, 09:39:12 PM »
Hello everyone,

Well fellows the Buggy Body will not be made out of wood as I so wanted and planned. Chris had offered to build the Body out of wood and as all of you know, it would have been perfect. However as hard as we tried, the freight cost getting the material to him and then shipping down to me was just prohibitive.

So I was forced to redraw all of the Body parts so that I could have it Laser Cut and Computer Bent to shape. Yes I am aware that there were some of the pre-1900's Horseless Carriages that had metal bodies, so this Buggy will still fit the image of the circa 1800's and be true to style.

With that stated, I am so pleased with the cutout work and the bending to shape of all these parts. The attached photos just do not do justice to the quality. The Laser machine that cut the parts only “cuts” a path .002" wide and is a clean and as straight as if it had been sheared. Note the hole in the close-up photo, looks like it had been drilled. In the past this company has done a lot of waterjet cutting and bending for me but they are so busy that it is a bit hard to get a small job like this on their schedule. They really did a huge favor for me on this one.

Not sure when I will be able to get started assembling and riveting the parts together but will add more photos as soon as possible.

Oh yeah to stay in compliance with the building photo code of this Forum, please note that I used a Chris / George penny in one of the photos for scale.... :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas

Photo #1 - all the parts laid out on my living room floor
Photo #2 - each part labled
Photo #3 - penny shown for scale
Photo #4 - close-up showing one hole and a corner bend
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #454 on: July 19, 2019, 10:20:28 PM »
That looks amazing! They sure did a great job on the parts. Never heard of 'computer bending' before, any additional info on that? Looking forward to seeing it all come together and go ripping down the street, better keep the keys hidden from the shop elves!
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

« Reply #455 on: July 19, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »
That looks amazing! They sure did a great job on the parts. Never heard of 'computer bending' before, any additional info on that? Looking forward to seeing it all come together and go ripping down the street, better keep the keys hidden from the shop elves!
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Hello Chris,

Yes on the computer bending. Their big Press is driven by a computer ( I guess CNC ); On a big "touch screen display" they enter the depth of the bend, ( in my case each flange was 1-1/4" wide ), the width of the bend, thickness of material, type of material, the radius of the Punch, etc, etc and of course the angle in degrees of the bend. The Press then sets up all the entered data and the operator slides in the piece to be bent and stands on one switch with his foot and presses another switch with one hand and "Wham-O", you got a bend. If there are say four of these bends the operator completes that set and then the Machine re-configures itself for the next set of pre-programmed bends. They can save all that information under a Job Number ( like my aluminum BBQ pits ) and the next time you need more Pits, just give them a call and they cut out the material and bend it. It is pretty cool to watch this entire process.

Have a great day,
Thomas
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:59:29 PM by Ye-Ole Steam Dude »
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #456 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:29 PM »
Nice to see an update Thomas. Sorry it won't be out of the brown stuff, but can understand the issues involved. Still following along.

Bill

« Reply #457 on: July 20, 2019, 12:16:27 AM »
Nice to see an update Thomas. Sorry it won't be out of the brown stuff, but can understand the issues involved. Still following along.

Bill

Hello Bill,

Not having the equipment or the expertise myself to build the body out of wood, I knew that I would need some outside help. However, this will be a really super strong body and a whole lot lighter than if it was all wood.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #458 on: July 20, 2019, 12:20:12 AM »
That's sure a nice collection of parts, Thomas!
And I'm looking forward to seeing how the body comes out, wood or metal or whatever.
Kim

« Reply #459 on: July 20, 2019, 01:35:42 AM »
That's sure a nice collection of parts, Thomas!
And I'm looking forward to seeing how the body comes out, wood or metal or whatever.
Kim

Hello Kim,

Thank you, once it has been painted you will not be able to see that much difference. Obviously an up close inspection will be a different story. I have set and admired the parts for the last couple of hours and really looking forward to getting this thing assembled. I think it will turn out pretty cool looking.

You have to remember that the early "automobile" in the late 1800's was in it's infant stage and experimentation  was the normal.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #460 on: July 22, 2019, 05:29:24 PM »
Looks pretty slick, Thomas.  That's 50xx series aluminum?

« Reply #461 on: July 22, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »
Looks pretty slick, Thomas.  That's 50xx series aluminum?

Hello Bent,

Yes you are correct, it is 5052 marine grade aluminum. Strong as can be but will take a full bend unlike some other grades.

I'm in the process of getting "stuff" rearranged and out of the shop so I will have enough room to assembly all the parts. I hope to have a few of the parts temporarily held in place with some Cleco fasteners by the end of this week. If all goes really smooth, should be able to start some rivets by next week.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #462 on: July 22, 2019, 06:30:11 PM »
5052 marine grade aluminium is a good choice. It bends and welds beautifully and is also fairly weather resistant even without paint and primer.

If you are using Cleco fasteners, does that mean you are going to bolt or rivet the panels?

When should I book my air ticket for the test ride?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

« Reply #463 on: July 22, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
5052 marine grade aluminium is a good choice. It bends and welds beautifully and is also fairly weather resistant even without paint and primer.

If you are using Cleco fasteners, does that mean you are going to bolt or rivet the panels?

When should I book my air ticket for the test ride?

Mike

Hello Mike,

I wish you were already here to help me clean out my shop, it looks more like a storage shed than a shop :ROFL:

Yes on the riveting the panels together. Example of my method: take the Side Panel and one of the interior braces. The "flange" on the interior brace already has the holes Laser cut, so after aligning that panel in position on the Side Panel and clamping it in place, I will drill "through" that existing hole and create a new hole in the Side Panel. Then I will insert a Cleco Fastener in that hole to hold both panels together and move to the next laser cut hole. This will be just like what they do when skinning an airplane. All the panels then will be taken apart and each hole will then be de-burred and cleaned. I will take some photos of this process and post them here on the forum.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #464 on: July 22, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »
Sounds great, looking forward to seeing the in-process assembly.

And I assume your shop elves have ordered their goggles and scarves?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal