Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65645 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #435 on: June 12, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
Yee haw!  Looks good Thomas!  Time for a tall cold one after seeing that, I'd think!  :DrinkPint:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #436 on: June 12, 2019, 03:53:03 PM »
Yee haw!  Looks good Thomas!  Time for a tall cold one after seeing that, I'd think!  :DrinkPint:

Hello Bent,

Yes sir, I forced myself to have several tall cold drinks before going to bed last night :DrinkPint:. I am working on getting the completed Engine Frame reinstalled on to the Chassis today. I will upload some photos this afternoon showing ( I hope ) a rolling Chassis.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »
Hello everyone,

Today I worked on reinstalling the Engine Frame onto the Chassis. I mounted a scissor jack on a small roll around dolly and placed it under the front of the Engine Frame. I reinstalled both Rear Springs on to the Rear Axle. Then I lowered the front so that I could move the Chassis over the top of the Engine and sit it down on top of the Springs. After getting one bolt in the center of each Spring I installed nuts tight enough to hold all of this in place. I then jacked up the front until I could get the two main ˝" Grade-8 Pivot Bolts through the Hanger Brackets and through the Brass Bushings in each Down Leg on the Engine Frame. Tweaking the alignment just a tad bit I was able to install the Rubber Shock Absorber Washers on the proper bolts on the Rear Springs and tighten everything down securely. This is the final step and the Engine Frame and the complete Drive System is now installed and ready for use.

Next up will be making and installing all of the Linkage required for Brakes, Throttle, Shifting, and Wiring. I will also make a temporary Floorboard to show placement of all the Linkage plus the Steering brackets and hardware.

Thanks for following along and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #438 on: June 12, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »
Fantastic Thomas!! You must be very pleased with that!!

Bill

« Reply #439 on: June 12, 2019, 11:01:19 PM »
Fantastic Thomas!! You must be very pleased with that!!

Bill

Hello Bill,

Yes sir I sure am. I was really surprised and happy how easily everything went back together.

Last night I was looking at some of the pictures that you sent to me from your Old Time Days ( think I messed up that name ) and hope that I can make some of those shows when the Buggy is completed.

Have a great day,
Thomas
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:30:38 AM by Ye-Ole Steam Dude »
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #440 on: June 13, 2019, 12:21:11 AM »
Would love to have you. In years past, we have had a couple of folks travel to NC from Louisiana. Our show is in October. I feel sure there are other shows though that are more focused on these old style vehicles, we very much appreciate them attending out show though. One member of this classic car group was local and a friend and had made a beautiful curved dash olds. Sadly he passed a few years back and is sorely missed. I think he was partly responsible for bringing the group to our show.

Bill

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #441 on: June 13, 2019, 03:31:20 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Great news Thomas!

Sooooooo close.....

John

« Reply #442 on: June 13, 2019, 10:29:32 AM »
 Great news Thomas!

Sooooooo close.....

John

Hello John,

For sure I am "closer",  :lolb: , I think. Surely does feel good to be at this point in the construction of this project.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

« Reply #443 on: June 13, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
Looking more like a buggy every day!  Good work Thomas.

« Reply #444 on: June 13, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »
Looking more like a buggy every day!  Good work Thomas.

Hello Bent,

Yes I agree, looking like a real car Horseless Carriage now. The color and all of the parts and pieces now together makes me smile  ;D

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

toolznthings

« Reply #445 on: June 13, 2019, 11:31:59 PM »
Would even make Henry Ford proud.   :)      Really looking good, Thomas !  Quite a project.   :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:

« Reply #446 on: June 13, 2019, 11:57:02 PM »
Would even make Henry Ford proud.   :)      Really looking good, Thomas !  Quite a project.   :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:

Hello Brian,

Thank you for some mighty kind words.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #447 on: June 14, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »
Hello everyone,

Well it took almost half of a day to re-adjust the Engine position to achieve the correct distance from the center of the Crankshaft to the center of the Transmission shaft. The Transmission’s Manual states it must be 14-3/4" C to C exactly. Just as I was tightening down the last nut I figured out how to make this job really simple.  :thinking:

For anybody that will have two parallel shafts that must be a) parallel and b) a fixed dimension, here is what I came up with. This explanation is for my case but can be adjusted to fit any other need: Take an appropriate size board, ˝" thick by 2-inches high and about 18-inches long. On one end make a mark about 1-1/2 inches from the edge, then measure exactly 14.75-inches from that mark to a second mark. On the first mark drill a 1-inch hole and a 3/4-inch hole at the second mark. The 1-inch hole will slip over the Engines crankshaft and the 3/4-inch hole will slip over the Transmission’s shaft. Even if the two shafts are not on plane horizontally the board spaces them correctly.

Despite my too late “idea” I now have the correct distance set between the Engine and Transmission and the CVT Belt Drive System works perfectly.  :facepalm:

Have a great day,
Thomas  :Doh:
Thomas

« Reply #448 on: June 20, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just uploaded the video Part-18 which is an update on all the work completed to date. This covers the reinstallation of the Engine Frame on to the main Chassis and the testing of the Engine and all the Drive Components. I have a lot of work now to do on building the Shifting Linkage and getting it installed.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKtthpXSlY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKtthpXSlY</a>
Thomas

Offline bent

« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal