Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65758 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have attached a pdf drawing showing the updated Buggy’s body. This may look like a mess but it is actually two (2) different drawings, one overlaid on top of the other. The gray colored lines represents one drawing which encompasses the entire Chassis, Engine Frame, complete Drive system (less wheels and tires) and an outline of the Body. The second drawing is the revised construction design for all the individual parts that will make up the new Body itself.

Thanks to Chris @crueby for many suggestions, I have completely redesigned the actual construction and materials to build the Body and made a few appearance changes that will aide in the construction. This new design will be much stronger and a whole lot easier to build and will be also easier to apply the finish.

The reason for the overlay of the two drawings is to confirm that “everything” fits as it should. This confirms that the actual final outside and inside shape of the new Body fits on the Chassis and all structure parts / pieces ( cutouts, stays, bracing, brackets, doors, supports, etc. ) will clear as they should.

Now I need to get the Chassis work completed so that I can start to work on the “rails” and “floorboard”.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #346 on: May 10, 2019, 06:37:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

To make it easier for my brother, a friend Paul and everyone else that is following this build I am attaching an updated “To Do List”. This is everything, in order, that needs to be finished before the Body can be started. I have completed items 1 and 2 and currently working on item 3(see attached photo).  I apologize for the slow progress over the last couple of months, but my back has been giving me a bit of trouble.

Have a great day,
Thomas

1898 Buggy TO DO List    05/10/19
Step   Work Description   
1   Remove Engine Frame   
2   Torch cut Engine Plate, grind, clean and primer   
3   Weld Brake Caliper Bracket to plate and ALL OTHER brackets, clean and primer
4   Remove Springs Primer and Paint
5   Primer and Paint complete Engine Frame
6   Install ALL Key Stock and Secure ALL Set Screws and Bolts
7   Remove Rack and Pinion
8   MARK ALL Rods, remove, primer and paint / One Dot right side & Three Dots left side
9   Remove Front End, Springs, Tires, Spindles, clean primer and paint
10   Make Body Brackets (6) drill holes and weld in place
11   Clean, Primer, Paint the entire Chassis
12   Reassemble complete Front End and install on Chassis
13   Install Brake Caliper and Brake Disc and SECURE
14   Install Jackshaft and all Sprockets on the Engine Plate. Pre-Check Chains. SECURE
15   Install Engine Frame to the Chassis
16   Install Transmission & Bearing Support. Install Chain to Sprocket.** CONFIRM ALIGNMENT **
17   Install Engine and CVT Drive System, make all necessary adjustments to Align to the DRIVE
   PULLEY and BELT to the DRIVEN PULLEY. CONFIRM and SECURE.
18   At this point after rechecking everything add Oil to Engine. Temporarily install a Starting Battery
   and Cables to the Engine. CONFIRM that the Transmission is in NEUTRAL and do a test start.
   NOTE: see "Run-in Test Procedure" before starting the Engine.
19   After completing the Test Start Up and Run-in Procedure and making any and all required
   modifications and adjustments that will confirm the "Drive System" is Complete and Ready,
   create a new TO DO LIST for building the Body.
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #347 on: May 10, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »
Item 20 - duct tape milk crate to frame, JBWeld on a stick for steering colum, and go for a spin in the driveway!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

« Reply #348 on: May 10, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »
Item 20 - duct tape milk crate to frame, JBWeld on a stick for steering colum, and go for a spin in the driveway!

Hello Chris,

:ROFL: I guess I must at least try that :lolb: What about brakes????

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #349 on: May 10, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »

Hello Chris,

:ROFL: I guess I must at least try that :lolb: What about brakes????

Have a great day,
Thomas
Highly over-rated. Thats what hay-bales, neighbors gardens, and shrubs are for....   :Jester:

« Reply #350 on: May 10, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »
Hello everyone,

Well this portion of the build is Part-13 and ole-13 showed up for sure. Started the day to remove the Engine Frame from the Chassis and my daddy’s old bottle jack would not work. That jack is at least 67 years old and I have had it and used it for the last 20+ years. Seems the oil has leaked out and I can repair it later. The next unlucky-13 I pulled my back again getting the Engine Frame loose. Next I burned the Gas Shield Cup on the gooseneck gun on my welder. I have been welding for over 50-years and have never done that. I have spent more time fixing, repairing, looking, and wondering than I have actual work, but HEY the day is now over. I did complete Step-3 and Step-4 except for the painting so all in all a good day.

First photo looks like something off Chris’s Steam Shovel but it is the topside of the Engine Frame showing the Transmission and Jackshaft temporarily installed with one of the chains. The Brake Caliper is installed on the underside and this confirms that I do have clearance on all the moving parts.

Second photo is showing the Brake Caliper and Bracket now in place on the underside of the Engine Frame, and again confirming good clearance.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #351 on: May 10, 2019, 11:59:55 PM »
Dont go near anything you dont want to fix for the rest of the day! Find a nice corner with a solid chair, and just sit there till the day passes....   :Lol:

« Reply #352 on: May 12, 2019, 11:43:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

Baby steps, progress going forward. A day and a half of work and only a color change and this is only the Engine Frame with still some touch up work to do on the Bearing Flanges. However this is good news because the main Chassis paint work should be a piece of cake. I will skip Step-6 and do Step-7 next and allow the paint to cure for several days or longer.
Photo-1 underside of Engine Frame
Photo-2 topside of Engine Frame

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #353 on: May 12, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
Great to see some progress Thomas. The list is getting shorter already :)

Bill

« Reply #354 on: May 12, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »
Great to see some progress Thomas. The list is getting shorter already :)

Bill

Good morning Bill,

Yes the list is getting a bit shorter but still many days worth of work. Painting the main Chassis will not be much work, however getting ready for paint is involved and will take several more days. It does feel good to see some paint and think about how close I am to start to work on the Body.

I need your huge shop for this project, if you lived closer you might walk into the shop one morning and see me sleeping on your dogs bed :ROFL:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2019, 01:30:08 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have attached a youtube video showing the work that has been completed on the Buggy up to completion of Step-5 on the To Do List.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXlDLmPOn8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXlDLmPOn8</a>
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #356 on: May 13, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »
Always welcome Thomas...the tractor will soon be moved to the house garage leaving plenty of room for your buggy  ;)

Bill

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #357 on: May 13, 2019, 05:48:28 PM »
Looking good Thomas.  Sorry to hear about your back, I hereby prescribe a couple snorts of good sippin' bourbon and a night's rest. :Lol:

« Reply #358 on: May 13, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »
Looking good Thomas.  Sorry to hear about your back, I hereby prescribe a couple snorts of good sippin' bourbon and a night's rest. :Lol:

Hello Bent and thank you,

The sippin whiskey does relax me at night but not enough to get a full good night of sleep. If I can get four hours I'm doing real good. Using my little roll around adjustable chair today and disassembling the Main Chassis so not so bad. I might even get one coat of paint by this afternoon.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #359 on: May 14, 2019, 09:43:28 PM »
Hello everyone,

Today I fabricated all six (6) Body Brackets and got them welded on to the main Chassis. Cleaned up all the welds and applied two coats of primer. Then I wiped down the entire Chassis with paint thinner and applied the black paint. I am so pleased to see the Chassis at the stage, still a lot of work to be done before reassembly but this should be completed within a week.

This completes Steps 7, 9, 10, and 11, and I will now start to work on Step 8.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal