Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65651 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

Was able to get some machining completed for the Buggy over the weekend. This brass Idler Bushing Adapter will thread onto the end of the Input Shaft of the Transmission. The IBA will fit into a 1-inch Pillow Block Bearing that will be mounted on a support bracket that is attached to the Engine Frame. This assembly is designed to support the long Input Shaft on the Transmission and carry a part of the stress/load created by the Drive Belt of the CVT coming directly from the Engine. I still have several more parts to make to complete all of this but will add it here soon.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:23 PM »
Nice to see this one moving forward so well - glad you labelled that last photo, made it all make sense as to where things go.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2019, 06:35:32 PM »
Great to see an update Thomas!
I was about to write and ask you if everything was OK - its been weeks since the last update!  Glad to see your buggy is still moving along.  Er, uh, making progress to where it will eventually move along! :Lol:
Kim

« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
Nice to see this one moving forward so well - glad you labelled that last photo, made it all make sense as to where things go.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hello Chris,

It will make more sense when I get the mount completed and all the parts put together.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #304 on: February 25, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
Great to see an update Thomas!
I was about to write and ask you if everything was OK - its been weeks since the last update!  Glad to see your buggy is still moving along.  Er, uh, making progress to where it will eventually move along! :Lol:
Kim

Hello Kim,

All is well here, just too many fun things to do and not enough time in a day. I did not have the right size brass round bar and did not want to turn down a 2" to 1-1/4" so I ordered it. Took almost 2 weeks to get it and it is not 460 machine brass. :shrug: Not sure what the heck it is, but it's as hard a titanium, squealed like a baby pig as I was drilling it out to 3/4". But it sure should hold the threads OK.

I also made a bunch of game calls on my wood lathe, so I was having fun waiting for the brass. :naughty:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #305 on: February 25, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
Thomas, Glad to hear all is well!
Yeah, I understand having other things that demand your time (fun and otherwise! :)).

I've picked up some unknown brass before.  I still have it.  I've labeled it well and try to avoid it.  I've learned it works best for me to only purchase metal that comes identified as to type.  I'm just not good enough to figure out what it is, and I've been burnt by taking pot-luck from sources that don't tell you (or likely don't know) what it is.  Like general Hardware stores and hobby stores.  I've had bad luck getting anything beyond aluminum or hot-rolled steel from them. Plus, I've found I can get things cheaper, even including shipping, from the on line places like On Line Metals or Speedy Metals.

Kim

« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2019, 08:19:23 PM »
Thomas, Glad to hear all is well!
Yeah, I understand having other things that demand your time (fun and otherwise! :)).

I've picked up some unknown brass before.  I still have it.  I've labeled it well and try to avoid it.  I've learned it works best for me to only purchase metal that comes identified as to type.  I'm just not good enough to figure out what it is, and I've been burnt by taking pot-luck from sources that don't tell you (or likely don't know) what it is.  Like general Hardware stores and hobby stores.  I've had bad luck getting anything beyond aluminum or hot-rolled steel from them. Plus, I've found I can get things cheaper, even including shipping, from the on line places like On Line Metals or Speedy Metals.

Kim

Hey again Kim,

I almost always buy from the companies you listed along with several more "true" metal suppliers. However this time I only needed such a short piece and did not have enough material to put a good order together to justify freight cost, so made this purchase on eBay. Oh well, this may turn out to be the strongest thing on my Buggy :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »
Thanks for the update Thomas. Nice progress too.

Bill

« Reply #308 on: April 08, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have completed and installed the bracket that the Transmission Input Shaft Bearing is mounted on. I designed this so that the Bearing and bracket can be removed so that the Driven Pulley can be slipped off the Transmission shaft and without having to un-bolt the Transmission. This design allows replacing the Driver Pulley, the Drive Belt and the Driven Pulley really simple. I have attached a video showing the making and installing of the bracket.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjmjoNLps9g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjmjoNLps9g</a>
Thomas

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #309 on: April 08, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »
Looking good!
 :popcorn:

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #310 on: April 08, 2019, 10:25:43 PM »
Very well done, fascinating to watch this come together. Where's that popcorn.... Ah, here...
 :popcornsmall:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #311 on: April 08, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »
Good to see an update Thomas. Would love to see the whole chassis now.

Bill

« Reply #312 on: April 08, 2019, 11:50:49 PM »
Good to see an update Thomas. Would love to see the whole chassis now.

Bill

Hello and thanks John, Chris and Bill.

Bill here is what the Chassis looks like front and rear view today. I will start removing the Engine, Transmission, Jackshaft Assembly from the Engine Frame tomorrow. I have completed all of the brackets that are to be welded to the underside of the Engine Frame. I will remove the Engine Frame and flip it over so that I can weld up everything on the underside and then apply a coat of black paint. Before I reinstall the Engine Frame I will weld in place all the “body tabs” to the main Chassis. These body tabs will be used to bolt down the wood body and floor and then I will make a mock-up body. I am not a wood person so this will be quite a challenge for me. I have made a preliminary design for the Frame Work (skeleton) for the body and once completed will have to farm that work out to a qualified wood shop.

Thanks for following along and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #313 on: April 09, 2019, 12:29:06 AM »
Looking amazing - you will be taking the shop elves up to the hardware store in it in no time!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #314 on: April 09, 2019, 12:46:16 AM »
Very nice. Thanks for the chassis pics!!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal