Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65793 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #270 on: December 28, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
What?  I thought you were going to make it steam powered!  :Jester:

Looking good Thomas!  I'll be interesting to see how you mount everything there.  This is quite a project!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #271 on: December 28, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #272 on: December 28, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »
I would have tried to aim for one less layshaft (if possible) - other than that the transmission placement looks fine.
Where did you get the transmission from - did it come with the engine ?

Only other slightly annoying thing is the oil plugs (dip + entry ?) - but I'm guessing that you at least has control over what is placed where, in order to not obstruct any further  :thinking:

Best wishes

Per

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #273 on: December 28, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
What?  I thought you were going to make it steam powered!  :Jester:

Looking good Thomas!  I'll be interesting to see how you mount everything there.  This is quite a project!
Kim

Hello Kim,

Look closer and you will see the "New" style of steam engine. Believe it or not I did seriously consider making a steam driven car when I first started, but after all the research I decided to move into the modern age of 1898 and take advantage of the Petrol Driven Engine. All of the components (Engine, tranny etc) are bolted down as you see them now and will only need slight forward / aft adjustment when the chains are added. I appreciate you following along.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #274 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
I would have tried to aim for one less layshaft (if possible) - other than that the transmission placement looks fine.
Where did you get the transmission from - did it come with the engine ?

Only other slightly annoying thing is the oil plugs (dip + entry ?) - but I'm guessing that you at least has control over what is placed where, in order to not obstruct any further  :thinking:

Best wishes
Per

Hello Per,

In order for me to be able to A) control the final top speed and B) keep the final Driven Sprocket small I had to include the Jackshaft assembly. Yes it does involve another chain and sprocket but it keeps the "drive system" as clean and simple as possible.

The Transmission is a Comet by brand and to my knowledge is the last new one in North America. Long story here but to keep it simple, Comet sold out to another company. The new company did not begin or continue production on all of the Comet products and unfortunately  for me the transmission was one of the products that production stopped. The rumor is that in time production will be continued on the transmissions. I of course had completed all my design work and did not want to substitute another brand, but could have if absolutely required. I was lucky enough to find my unit in a dealer's stock that was not known to be on the market.

As for the oil plug location, another reason that I choose this particular engine is because it has two (2) oil plugs. Look at the attached photo to the right, and below the starter, you will see the Yellow Oil Plug Cap and note it's location. There is a second Oil Plug on the same side of the engine but to the rear in a "like" location. Either plug can be reached for service but the front one is unobstructed completely. I will pipe in a drain line with a valve and a pipe cap that will allow the oil to drained below and to the front of the engine that will allow easy service. 

I appreciate you close observation and sharing with me, this could help me with a problem that I could have overlooked.

Thanks again and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »
Coming along nicely  :praise2: It's always good when the parts all end up in the planned positions  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
Coming along nicely  :praise2: It's always good when the parts all end up in the planned positions  :)  :wine1:

Hello Roger,

As you are well aware of, it is such a relief when all the parts do line up and fit where they were designed to be. From the time that I cut the first piece of steel tube, I was looking forward to the time that all the Engine and drive train parts would be installed. Not to get ahead of myself, but now I am looking forward to placing the Body on the Chassis for the first time. That is still months from now.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #277 on: January 02, 2019, 08:34:54 PM »
Looking good Thomas!

« Reply #278 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
Looking good Thomas!

Hello Bent,

Going really slow now, glacier slow, getting small parts designed and built.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #279 on: January 03, 2019, 08:16:43 PM »
Not gonna do a bucket run? (You know, sit on a bucket and ride the chassis around the garage) :)

« Reply #280 on: January 03, 2019, 08:53:20 PM »
Not gonna do a bucket run? (You know, sit on a bucket and ride the chassis around the garage) :)

Hello Bent,

Wye yes I am, have an all white bucket that I will paint some red flames on either side and burn rubber in the shop ::)

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Cajun One

« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2019, 08:02:03 PM »
HI Thomas hope you a great holiday, Your HC is looking great cant wait to see the completed ride.Cheers :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Wade

« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2019, 11:41:39 PM »
HI Thomas hope you a great holiday, Your HC is looking great cant wait to see the completed ride.Cheers :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Wade

Hello Wade,

Thank you and hope you and the family have a great 2019.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2019, 12:40:33 AM »
It really coming together Thomas. Your planning and design has paid off!!

Bill

« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2019, 05:52:47 AM »
It really coming together Thomas. Your planning and design has paid off!!

Bill

Hello Bill,

I am pleased with the way it looks now and looking forward to getting the running gear assembled.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal