Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65854 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »
I would have just thought that machining that gap for the end of the threads pushed up a little lip on the edge of the rod.  And that's what you would have had to file down.  This is something I've experienced quite often.

How wide was that over sized portion?   If it was very wide at all, then my theory probably isn't right.  I can't say as I've ever experienced a piece of 1018 changing in any significant way from a little machining like that.

Kim

Hello Kim,

The "fat" area is over 1/4" wide. It just beats the heck out of me???? :hammerbash: :shrug:

I did run a file over the threads and that edge of the gap (the sharp edge) with the lathe running before removing the spindle. It is the same on the other spindle??? Had it not been at the same spot on both spindles then I would suspect a "flaw" on the raw stock.

Puzzled Thomas :shrug:
Thomas

« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »
Hello every one,

After a lot of hand file work on both of the Axles I was able to get the tires and wheels mounted temporarily. Not satisfied with the finish where I had to file so more finish work will be needed.

If anyone can figure out why the axles expanded in OD please let me know.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
Hi Thomas

I have been following along quietly in the background and enjoying your build very much  :ThumbsUp:

One observation on your recent photos if I may.

The tyres are directional, (showing my motor trade training now). It looks like one is fitted correctly and the other is turning in the wrong direction. There should be a marking on the sidewall to tell you which is the correct way

Cheers

Rich

« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »
Hi Thomas

I have been following along quietly in the background and enjoying your build very much  :ThumbsUp:

One observation on your recent photos if I may.

The tyres are directional, (showing my motor trade training now). It looks like one is fitted correctly and the other is turning in the wrong direction. There should be a marking on the sidewall to tell you which is the correct way

Cheers

Rich

Hello Rich,

You have a sharp eye, actually two of the tires were installed incorrectly. I had asked them to mount two right-side and two left-side but they gave me all four right-side. They mounted all of them to match the brake flange.

I have been so busy fussing with the front end that I have not re-mounted two of them.

Thank you and have a great day,
Thomas

PS, bye the way do you think this is enough toe-end?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:42:02 PM by Ye-Ole Steam Dude »
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »

That much should make it easier to get up on two wheels!   :ROFL:

« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »

That much should make it easier to get up on two wheels!   :ROFL:

:lolb: :ROFL: :Lol: :agree:

Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
Thomas,

First, great progress, like how this is coming together!

On the o/s axle - is it possible that during threading the chuck squeezed the part slightly into a triangular shape (tri-lobe)?  This can be hard to detect with a typical 2-point measuring device like calipers or micrometers, but can be seen if checked with a 90-degree v-block and height gage, rolling around to measure several points along the circumference.  We occasionally get some of our 304 ss valve stems that come in tri-lobed and can't get them to stuff through the bushings, and the mike/caliper readings come out spot-on or even slightly undersized.  I've also gotten some raw bar stock with the same condition; it sounds like your bearings were checked on the raw stock and fitted ok though?

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2018, 07:10:59 PM »
Slight tri lobbing by the chuck could be a problem. I have had problems with silver steel (drill rod) due to that. Still following along  :wine1:  :wine1: but it may be a long way to come for a trial drive  ::)
Best regards

Roger

« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »
Thomas,

First, great progress, like how this is coming together!

On the o/s axle - is it possible that during threading the chuck squeezed the part slightly into a triangular shape (tri-lobe)?  This can be hard to detect with a typical 2-point measuring device like calipers or micrometers, but can be seen if checked with a 90-degree v-block and height gage, rolling around to measure several points along the circumference.  We occasionally get some of our 304 ss valve stems that come in tri-lobed and can't get them to stuff through the bushings, and the mike/caliper readings come out spot-on or even slightly undersized.  I've also gotten some raw bar stock with the same condition; it sounds like your bearings were checked on the raw stock and fitted ok though?

Hello Bent,

Well your thinking is the best answer so far. Now that I am thinking back, that area is about where I had it in the chuck, however the "swollen" is smaller than the length of each chuck jaw. I did check the OD with my digital micrometers but I did not check all around. And yes, I did check the bearings on the original bar stock.

This just beats the heck out of me. Until someone comes up with a better explanation, I am accepting your answer so that I can sleep at night..... :insane:

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
Slight tri lobbing by the chuck could be a problem. I have had problems with silver steel (drill rod) due to that. Still following along  :wine1:  :wine1: but it may be a long way to come for a trial drive  ::)

Hello Roger,

I have visited your beautiful country and it should not be much of a trip for you to come and take a test drive with me. I might be getting the Buggy before the horse (pun intended), I still have a lot of work to complete and not sure this darn thing will even run...stay tuned and I will keep you updated. :noidea:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
Maybe it could be planned together with a  visit to Eric's (Tennessee Whiskey's) invitation exhibition. I would need to look at a map (or perhaps a globe) I'm not so sure of US geography. If I drive for four hours in any direction here I run out of Switzerland. The US is rather larger  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2018, 09:35:32 PM »
Maybe it could be planned together with a  visit to Eric's (Tennessee Whiskey's) invitation exhibition. I would need to look at a map (or perhaps a globe) I'm not so sure of US geography. If I drive for four hours in any direction here I run out of Switzerland. The US is rather larger  ::)
Here it can take longer than that to get out of one state, though your scenery is hard to match!

« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2018, 10:11:23 PM »

Hey again Roger,

Yeah, 4-hours drive in Texas might get you out of one of our counties  :ROFL:

If I am feeling up to it, I sure would like to attend Tennessee Whiskey's invitation exhibition and of course bring the Buggy and a few of my engines. Where he is located is near the center of the state so it would be a full days drive for me. Sure would be nice to meet some of the Forum Folks face to face.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »
Here it can take longer than that to get out of one state, though your scenery is hard to match!

Hello Chris,

Where I live over here on Sam Rayburn Lake, it is closer to Chicago than El Paso, Texas?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2018, 10:47:50 PM »

Hello Chris,

Where I live over here on Sam Rayburn Lake, it is closer to Chicago than El Paso, Texas?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Dang, thats a big state!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal