Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65739 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:07 PM »
Thomas, Several of the horseless carriage people are at our show this weekend from as far away as FL, and Louisiana. I will try and take some pictures of their "rides" tomorrow and post them here.

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2018, 12:58:09 AM »
Thomas, Several of the horseless carriage people are at our show this weekend from as far away as FL, and Louisiana. I will try and take some pictures of their "rides" tomorrow and post them here.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I sure would appreciate that. My brother was at the Cruising The Coast event this past weekend but none of the horseless carriage folks showed up this time. Normally there are quite a few in attendance.

Thank you and have a great weekend,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »
Thomas here are a few pictures from today. The first is the curved front Olds built by a local friend who sadly passed a few years ago. The club still shows his Olds at these events. I don't have much info on the second one unfortunately. The balance of the pictures are of a build by a gentleman I talked to at some length. He started with one of the available plans but modified it a lot. He said the current engine is from a Honda motorcycle he bought second hand and then fit the engine to the chassis. Other mods include a stow away rumble seat. Hope these may be of some interest.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2018, 12:37:32 AM »
Found one more...the final drive on the Olds car.

Bill

« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2018, 01:00:10 AM »
Thomas here are a few pictures from today. The first is the curved front Olds built by a local friend who sadly passed a few years ago. The club still shows his Olds at these events. I don't have much info on the second one unfortunately. The balance of the pictures are of a build by a gentleman I talked to at some length. He started with one of the available plans but modified it a lot. He said the current engine is from a Honda motorcycle he bought second hand and then fit the engine to the chassis. Other mods include a stow away rumble seat. Hope these may be of some interest.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much, love all the old pictures that I can get. The first Olds was called the REO, which were Mr. Olds initials. I have some photos of the REO and will look them up. I know that I cannot, but it sure would be fun for me to attend your show sometime. I have copied and saved these to my folder.

Thanks again,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2018, 01:04:18 AM »
Found one more...the final drive on the Olds car.

Bill

Hey again,

Beautiful rear end, closed axle and note the grease cups for lubrication. That is some pretty sophisticated engineering for that time period. Some of those old dudes were pretty smart.

I appreciate your time taking theses photos.
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2018, 01:30:29 AM »
 Thomas, this gentleman aslso somehow attached a Harley Davidson clutch and transmission to the engine. This was the third engine he tried as the first two weren't powerful enough apparently, especially on an incline. Sorry, I keep recalling some of his comments.

Bill

« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2018, 02:13:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have started on making the Rear Axle and the two Axle Hubs. The Axle Hubs will mount on to the Rear Axle and bolt up to the Wheel, this will secure the two rear Wheels to the Rear axle. I am modifying two chain sprockets to make the Axle Hubs. The sprockets have a 1-inch bore and a 1/4" keyway. I will machine a 1/4" keyway on both ends of the Axle after turning down and threading.

First I will remove the teeth and turn the OD down to a designed size. Then will turn the raised portion of the Hub down to 2.2898 inches od which will allow clearance for the bolt heads which secure the Hub to the Wheel. The next step will be to drill the five (5) holes for the 5/16" bolts.

Attached are two photos of the Sprocket and two pdf drawings of the work to be completed.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
Hello everyone,

Well I finally completed the two Axle Hub Adapters that connect the rear driven axle to the two rear wheels. This turned out to be a whole lot more work than I had anticipated, but I am very pleased with the way they turned out.

I have decided to make some short videos of the work that has been completed to date on the Buggy and have uploaded them to my YouTube channel. I am attaching one link which is to Part - 4 of the set.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Mv7LxalOw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Mv7LxalOw</a>
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:03:21 PM by Ye-Ole Steam Dude »
Thomas

« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »
Hello everyone,

The last couple of days I have been working on the two front Spindles. Now have them almost completed and have attached some photos showing some of the assembly and a video. Pretty basic the way I designed them but a lot of parts requiring close attention so that each Spindle turns out correct. To make sure that nothing warped or became distorted, I made small welds and then let it cool down to ambient temperature before more welding. Hope to have them in primer and then final assembly within several more days.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv3-arv0oAs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv3-arv0oAs</a>
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2018, 10:39:55 PM »
Excellent work Thomas! Great video to show how it all came together. Are the plans for that mechanism your own design?
Chris
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2018, 10:53:14 PM »
Excellent work Thomas! Great video to show how it all came together. Are the plans for that mechanism your own design?
Chris
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the nice comment and yes, the Buggy design is an original that I started to work on back in 2015 and completed it this year.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2018, 11:20:13 PM »
Nice progress Thomas. I have missed a day or so but caught up again now. It's looking great!!

Bill

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »
Nice progress Thomas. I have missed a day or so but caught up again now. It's looking great!!

Bill

Hello Bill and thank you.

Hope you are staying busy getting your shop ready so you can get back to working on a project.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
Indeed I have Thomas with the shop and house both. I should get back to some real engine work in a week or so.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal