Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65649 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2018, 12:30:04 AM »

[/quote]
And you guys claim I spend a lot of time in the shop!   :o
Hopefully this was one of those days where you just got so engrossed in the work, having fun, that time just flew by!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
[/quote]

Hello Chris,

You are part right, I did get so involved that time just slipped by me, however my normal day starts around 2:am and I head to the shop as soon as I can. When all things are going so good the day passes so fast.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2018, 12:54:08 AM »
That was a long day Thomas!! Glad it was a fun one though  ;)

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2018, 02:51:48 AM »
a.m. is no longer in my vocabulary.  ;D
'early' might be. 'late morning' or 'mid morning' might be.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »
Hello everyone,

Short day in the shop today, only 12-1/2 hours but it was fun. Turned the Chassis upside down to be able to work on the Axle Housings and try to get them in alignment to centerline and 90 degrees to the centerline. Boy what a great feeling when it all worked out to be dead on. See attached photo, from the center of the front of the Chassis to the out back edge on both Axle Housings it was exactly 80-1/8". As soon as the Axle Flanges come in, I can install them and add the Bearings and the Rear Axle. Now when the Front Axle is installed I can square it up with the Rear Axles and know that everything will be square. Time to sit back and enjoy a mixed drink.  :DrinkPint:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2018, 09:36:37 PM »
12.5 hours!  Does the missus ever wonder if you're ok, or do you continue to make enough noise that she doesn't worry?  And after that much shop time, you are justified in more than one mixed drink. :cheers:

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »
12.5 hours!  Does the missus ever wonder if you're ok, or do you continue to make enough noise that she doesn't worry?  And after that much shop time, you are justified in more than one mixed drink. :cheers:

Hello Bent,

Well I had one of those years ago but she got tired of all my craziness  :slap:  :hammerbash:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2018, 02:46:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I bought a 1" hot rolled steel round bar and cut it to length to temporarily serve as the Rear Axle. I put it in the lathe and turned the OD down to just under 1" to allow it to slide through all the Bearings (four) real easy. It will be used to set and hold the alignment of the Bearing Flanges while the Axle Housings and Supports are being welded in place.

As a side note, I have lots of hours at the lathe since installing the new LED overhead lights and the improvement in the visibility is unbelievable. It is so much better than a gooseneck light that was limited in the area that it lit up.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
Hello everyone,

Took some 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/4 steel angle iron and band saw cut to a slightly long length and then milled them down to an exact length. Set my DRO on the mill for all three holes to be drilled and then beveled the face of each hole. These will be the Spring Perch brackets welded to the Chassis and will support the Springs both front and rear. Another productive day in the shop even though I had to shut down for about an hour due to a thunderstorm and lighting.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »
You are putting those new machines to good use Thomas. Still following your progress daily.

Bill

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2018, 11:11:30 PM »
You are putting those new machines to good use Thomas. Still following your progress daily.

Bill

Hello Bill,

Sure am enjoying the machines and the new layout in my shop. UPS just delivered the four Axle Flanges and that shop in Houston did a GREAT job. Cuts as straight as an arrow and exact to my drawing. Now the trick to weld a Flange on each end of the Housing and get them square and 90 degrees to the Housing. I have all night to think on that :noidea:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2018, 11:20:09 PM »
Only half a night if your day begins at 1 am Thomas  :Jester:

Bill

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2018, 12:05:21 AM »
Only half a night if your day begins at 1 am Thomas  :Jester:

Bill

Hey again Bill,

Well I will be able to sleep to 2:am because I have been out in the shop experimenting with a "jig" to hold everything in place. I have some 5-inch aluminum channel that will hold in "X" and "Y" and figured out how to hold "Z". I will take photos as I weld up the Housings and post them here. If all of this works I will be able to order the Axle as soon as my Wheels come in. :cartwheel:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

Got an early start this morning and cleaned up with a flapper-disc all the Axle Flanges and then beveled each hole front and back. Took the next 45 minutes experimenting with various welds on some test pieces of the square tube and some flat plate. Those of you that weld, know that welding an inside 90 on 1/8" wall tube onto ½" thick solid plate requires a bit of practice. These are not my best looking welds but they cleaned up OK and I know they are plenty strong.

I used a piece of extra heavy 5" aluminum channel to clamp all the pieces down on. Squared “x”, “Y” and “Z” and then clamped them in place. I just tack welded and staggered the tacks to prevent any heat build up. Even with this caution, having to use a high heat setting on the welder, the tube stilled crawled a bit. Cross diagonal measurement showed about a 1/16" out of square but this is well within the alignment properties of the Flanges.

Got the first Axle Housing completed and temporarily set on the Engine Frame for a reference. Learned a bit on the first one and the second one went together much easier and is almost square.
Mounted both along with the temp axle and the Bearings just to see how it will align. Now I need to make a run into town for some bolts and nuts to bolt everything together before it can all be welded in place.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
Looking good Thomas. It looks like your rear end assembly is going to look and perform a lot like a Club Car utility cart I once had.

Whiskey

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
That's some nice welding Thomas!
And glad you were happy with the parts this time around!  :ThumbsUp:
Second time's a charm, in this case (contrary to Zee's other thread  :naughty:).
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal