Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 66033 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2018, 01:49:57 AM »
What a project! Something I dream about but beyond my skill.
Sure...I can develop those skills but other things in life are in the way.

I'll live through you.

Hello Zee,

Thank you for the kind words but I would like to think of this more like old fashion blacksmithing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

Got both inside Hanger Brackets welded in place this morning. Next thing will be to buy some 2-1/2" wide flat bar and make some gussets to weld between the outside and inside Hanger Brackets on both sides of the Chassis. Then the Chassis will be ready to turn right-side up and start to work on all the other components. There will be a lot of work to do on the top side before installing the Rear Axle assembly.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
So that inside rectangle at the one end is hinged for the rear axle? One big trailing arm assembly?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2018, 08:03:28 PM »
So that inside rectangle at the one end is hinged for the rear axle? One big trailing arm assembly?

Hi Chris,

That is correct, the rear axle, both Axle Housings, the engine, the jackshaft and the FNR transmission will all be mounted on the Engine Frame via the Engine Plate. This design will eliminate all slack and popping of the drive chain to the axle, everything moves “as one”. The Down Legs align the movement on a level plain with the Axle Housing and the fixed point on the Springs. This will show up when the Chassis is turned right side up and the Engine Plate is installed.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
Ah, ok, now I see why the frame is hinged.  Looking pretty good so far, Thomas!  :popcorn:

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »
Ah, ok, now I see why the frame is hinged.  Looking pretty good so far, Thomas!  :popcorn:

Hello Bent,

My design will make more sense when all this comes together with the Chassis sitting on the axles and wheels.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
Hello everyone,

Did not get a lot of work done on the Buggy today because it took almost a half day to install a new Quick Change Tool Post on the lathe.

However, I did finished welding on the Engine Frame Brackets and was able to turn the Chassis right-side-up. Did a little clean up grinding on the top side welds and then re-installed the Engine Frame. Just sat the Engine Plate on to the Engine Frame to have a look and could not resist setting the Jackshaft and couple of the Sprockets on the Plate. Now that got me anxious to go for a ride...oh well that might be a while yet.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2018, 09:41:38 PM »
Looking great Thomas. What is the next step?

Bill

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Looking great Thomas. What is the next step?

Bill

Hello Bill,

Now that my lathe is ready to work again, the next thing is to make both brass bushings that hold the Engine Frame in close tolerance to the Chassis. I cannot get an exact center and align the Engine Plate until the bushing are in place. With this completed, I can get the Engine Plate tack welded to the Engine Frame, confirm it is dead center, and then start on installing the two enclosed Rear Axle housings. Not sure but I am guessing this will take several days. I cannot actually weld the Housings to the Frame until I receive the water jetted Axle Flanges.  I might run out of things to do on the Buggy waiting on the flanges.

Not to worry, I have designed a new smaller press break so I can work on it.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
Hello everyone,

Got an early start this morning (1:am) and things went smoothly so was able to accomplish a lot. Built a small wood guide to find and mark the dead center of the front of the Chassis.  Put a screw in the center to establish the center placement for the Engine Plate. Then I clamped the Plate in place and clamped metal holders at all four corners. Removed the Plate and spray painted the area on the Engine Frame where the Plate will cover and the same on the Plate. I know a little will burn off during the welding but wanted the “covered” area to have some paint on it after all the welding is completed.

After the paint had dried I replaced the Plate and securely clamped it down and completed all the required welding. I doubled checked to make sure that the Plate had remained dead center and it was. This was another one of those critical steps that I had been worried about because the alignment of the Engine, FNR Transmission, and the Jackshaft depended on the correct placement of the Plate.

One more critical major component to build and that will be the two enclosed Axle Housings and the mounting parts that will be welded below the Engine Frame. Cannot get started on that until I receive the water jetted Axle Flanges.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
Yer havin' way too much fun, Thomas!  :D

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »

Ditto.

It's getting more and more interesting.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2018, 11:13:14 PM »

Hello Bent,

Yes I am and cannot get enough. This has turned out to be a really fun break from the steam engines and I love building them. I am most pleased at this point with the progress. :cartwheel:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:31 PM »

Ditto.

Hello Zee,

I feel the same and getting anxious to get it on four wheels. The Engine Plate has made a big difference in the looks and looking forward to mounting the engine temporarily. It is after 5:pm and I have been in the shop since 1:am this morning and not tired, but hunger has forced me to shut down for the day.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2018, 12:13:33 AM »

Ditto.

Hello Zee,

I feel the same and getting anxious to get it on four wheels. The Engine Plate has made a big difference in the looks and looking forward to mounting the engine temporarily. It is after 5:pm and I have been in the shop since 1:am this morning and not tired, but hunger has forced me to shut down for the day.

Have a great day,
Thomas
And you guys claim I spend a lot of time in the shop!   :o
Hopefully this was one of those days where you just got so engrossed in the work, having fun, that time just flew by!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal