Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65495 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 01:20:44 AM »
Should be plenty of power Thomas, likely much more that the original car had and definitely higher tech!! Thanks for the pictures.

Bill

Some of those old original cars used as small as 2hp engines, again they used whatever they could get their hands on. The race car that Henry Ford built had a 27-hp engine and a flywheel that weighted over 300 pounds. Those folks were quite creative.

I will remove the fuel tank on top and the muffler on top and to one side. This will lower the profile quite a bit.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 01:23:10 AM »
I hope this isn't a tangent...

You're building full scale. That got me interested in finding out what the requirements are for being able to drive it on the streets, if not at least the neighborhood.
Is this something you're allowed to drive to shows, or just cruise around in? What do you have to do to allow that?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 01:35:36 AM »
I hope this isn't a tangent...

You're building full scale. That got me interested in finding out what the requirements are for being able to drive it on the streets, if not at least the neighborhood.
Is this something you're allowed to drive to shows, or just cruise around in? What do you have to do to allow that?

Hello Zee,

I have not checked in with the local law to find out if I could get it accepted for street use. My intent is to use it here around the lake. I am way out in the country, 30 miles from any city, so no problem for me to drive around the back roads to visit friends or go fishing. I do plan to take it to several of the car shows.

The way that I currently have the running gear set up will limit the top speed to 36mph, but I can change that easily.

My drawing that I attached shows it to have a steering wheel, but I also am considering a 'Tiller" steering. The tiller would be plenty safe at 36mph but getting much faster might become a problem.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 01:38:35 AM »
Nice project Thomas, will be watching your design & build of it.

John

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
Nice project Thomas, will be watching your design & build of it.

John

Hello John,

Thanks for following along, hope to have some progress photos early next week.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »
Looks an interesting project  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will be following along  :wine1:

I remember something like this in a reprint of an old '1000 things you can make but shouldn't' book. I will see if I can find it.
Best regards

Roger

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
Looks an interesting project  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will be following along  :wine1:

I remember something like this in a reprint of an old '1000 things you can make but shouldn't' book. I will see if I can find it.

Hello Roger,

That would interesting to read, if you can find let me know.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
Hello Thomas, this is what I was thinking about. It's not quite what you are doing but may be of interest. Both are in 'The Boy Mechanic, Book 3 - 1919' reprinted by Lindsay Publications Inc inc. (Mods, if this is a problem please delete the scans and I will deal with this via PMs).
Best regards

Roger

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 06:01:53 PM »
Hello Roger B,

Both cars are good looking to me, I like the old stuff and how inventive the folks were. Thanks for this information.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
Hook the hand-crank up to a centrifugal switch (like from a typical cap-start/cap-run electric motor) and let it be an alternate starter switch?  :Jester:

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »
Hook the hand-crank up to a centrifugal switch (like from a typical cap-start/cap-run electric motor) and let it be an alternate starter switch?  :Jester:

Hey Bent that is a great idea, I might do that.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

Now the fun begins, I just picked up the first load of steel tubing and angle from my supplier. Next thing is to set up the Welding Fixture with the band saw to make all the 45 degree cuts on the rectangular and square tube. Then all the 90 degree cuts can be completed. Next will be to clean all the cuts and start laying out all the pieces to be clamped into position and start the welding process.

I have worked almost exclusively the past 45 years with aluminum and forgot how heavy and dirty steel is, but the old dudes did not have aluminum back in the 1800's so I will work with it and have fun. I will calculate the weight of the main chassis and the engine frame when it is completed. On my truck is 2-joints 24-foot long and 3-joints 10-foot long.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

First photo shows making the first cuts on one of the 24-foot pieces means that it extends out the door of my shop. However after two long cuts ( the two side rails ) I was able to keep all the A/C in the shop. The 3rd photo shows all the main chassis pieces cut to length and temporarily in place. I will clean all the cut ends with a grinder to prepare for welding and clamp to the welding fixture after squaring everything. The last photo shows all the parts cut to length for the engine frame.

If all goes well I should have the main chassis squared up, all the gussets in place and everything tacked welded by this afternoon.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »
Great start!

Though you need to make a giant penny to put in the photos to make us think its a scale model!   :Lol:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 07:25:15 PM »
Great start!

Though you need to make a giant penny to put in the photos to make us think its a scale model!   :Lol:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

OH yeah like George does..... :ROFL:

I just started to tack weld the first corner and lost power to the whole neighborhood. :slap: I cannot believe this. WE are always at the end of the line so it takes forever to get the repair. Oh well!

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal