Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65495 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
There's a shop next door to where I work that does laser cutting...but they are about 2000 miles from you, so that's no help.  I assume the brackets are either (a) too fancy or (b) too numerous to just bang them out on the mini mill?

Smoke in the shop...one of the reasons I bought a Tig welder.  But your Mig welds make some of my work look like it was done by an amateur...oh wait it was.  :Lol:

Hey Bent,

I could mill the brackets because there are only 8 total, but I do not have the steel plate in stock. Most companies that do the waterjeting and plasma cutting have all this material in stock and it is so much cheaper to buy from them and quicker. I will take the AutoCAD drawings on a thumb drive to a shop in Nacogdoches and have them plasma cut for me. I will post some photos of them when I get them back.

Today was spent laying out the Engine Frame and getting about half of the welding completed. Attached is a photo showing the Engine Frame clamped onto the Main Chassis. I am just using the Main Chassis as a "fixture" to hold everything in place to be welded. Should be able to finish this part tomorrow.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
Following along with great interest!
One question: when you are done with the 1:1 scale 'model' car, will you be making a baby brother for it in the model shop?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »
Following along with great interest!
One question: when you are done with the 1:1 scale 'model' car, will you be making a baby brother for it in the model shop?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hello Chris,

Funny thing that you ask that question. One of my friends was over last night and ask the same question. After we talked about it for a while, I am pretty sure that I will do it. I could make it remote control fairly easy, would only need 2 channels. It will not be so small that it will fit on a penny....maybe around 18-inches long.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 08:55:15 PM »
Hey again Chris,

Here is a photo of a R/C Tug that I built out of aluminum and MIG welded it together. Twin screw with a phasing control to tie both engines together.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Sweet tug! Always a favorite type of boat. You are already familiar with RC'ing things so the car should be easy. Won't you need a third channel for brakes though? Maybe a fourth for the ejector seat to get rid of hitchhiking squirrels...

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
Sweet tug! Always a favorite type of boat. You are already familiar with RC'ing things so the car should be easy. Won't you need a third channel for brakes though? Maybe a fourth for the ejector seat to get rid of hitchhiking squirrels...

Hello Chris,

Using a forward / reverse electric motor there would be no need for a brake, I have used this set up before and it works OK. I have built a lot of R/C "things" over the years but boats are my number one favorite. I will have to think on that ejector seat :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 11:02:21 PM »

Hello Chris,

Using a forward / reverse electric motor there would be no need for a brake, I have used this set up before and it works OK. I have built a lot of R/C "things" over the years but boats are my number one favorite. I will have to think on that ejector seat :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Ah - I had figured you would have a gas motor in it like its big brother. With electric, 2 is all it needs.
 :cheers:

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »
Hello everyone,

More welding on the Engine Frame installing two center supports that the Engine Plate will be welded on. Used my Mill to drill out the 1-inch holes in the two down legs that weld to the Engine Frame. I will machine some Brass bushings to go into the 1-inch holes and will be held in place with ½" grade-8 bolts through the side brackets. Last photo shows the Down Legs weld to the Engine Frame. Still a lot of work to do but it is beginning to take shape.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
Great build so far :NotWorthy:
         I started building a one off road legal vehicle that is petrol powered and now is "in the style"  of a 1932 Foden Steam Lorry. I have had to abandon the project due to ill health and am reluctantly selling it.  :'(
         In the UK a one off vehicle has to be inspected and passed by VOSA. They publish a manual of specifications for every part of a vehicles. Us builders called it "VOSA's Bible". The final test is very strict and quite expensive, I was very lucky with my build as the original vehicle was imported from USA and over 10 years old. I just needed a normal car MOT and could then register it. Any alterations after that were just "Customising"    John
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
Great build so far :NotWorthy:
         I started building a one off road legal vehicle that is petrol powered and now is "in the style"  of a 1932 Foden Steam Lorry. I have had to abandon the project due to ill health and am reluctantly selling it.  :'(
         In the UK a one off vehicle has to be inspected and passed by VOSA. They publish a manual of specifications for every part of a vehicles. Us builders called it "VOSA's Bible". The final test is very strict and quite expensive, I was very lucky with my build as the original vehicle was imported from USA and over 10 years old. I just needed a normal car MOT and could then register it. Any alterations after that were just "Customising"    John

Hello John,

Sounds like a interesting project, too bad you are not up to completing. I would like to see a photo if you have one.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline JC54

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
I will try to figure out how to add photos and post a couple tomorrow, Before and after shots  :atcomputer: :noidea:              John

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »
I will try to figure out how to add photos and post a couple tomorrow, Before and after shots  :atcomputer: :noidea:              John

Hello John,

Sounds good, looking forward to see your project.

I did a small amount of welding and cleaning up of welds this morning. Then took my drawings for the Brackets over to Nacogdoches to be plasma cut.

Got side tracked talking with Marcus owner of The Cycle Shop in Lufkin. They will custom build my wheels for the Buggy. I could spend all day at that shop, just a cool ole 50's style of business and really friendly folks.

I did get all the Axle bearings and the Jackshaft bearings in today and a bit more steel, so things are moving along.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2018, 02:27:34 AM »
Funny how that works isn't it? Take the wheel project to a bike shop. That's how the Wright brothers did it. & I think the same "bike mechanic" built the engine for that. (Based on David McColloughs book "the Wright brothers", a fascinating read..)

Great progress Thomas!

John

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
Funny how that works isn't it? Take the wheel project to a bike shop. That's how the Wright brothers did it. & I think the same "bike mechanic" built the engine for that. (Based on David McColloughs book "the Wright brothers", a fascinating read..)

Great progress Thomas!

John

Hi John,

Marcus is an "original" old time biker and his shop is right out of the 50's. All their work is hands on as if it was for their own personal motorcycle. I am still a long ways from adding the wheels but looking forward to that time.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline JC54

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
Hopefully here are the photos that I promised. The first one is vehicle as it arrived off an American aircraft carrier!!! Second pic is in it's first road legal state as a display vehicle at a local steam rally. Third pic is how far I got with rebuild 5 years ago. Not touched since due to the wife and my health problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal