Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65633 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »
Hello Chris and Bent,

Thanks fellows, I feel like I have completed a major milestone on this build. Now if I can hook up the Engine without any complications I really will be happy.

Y'all have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I machined a Hold-down Bushing to secure the Driver Pulley onto the PTO (crankshaft) of the Engine and got it installed. Then temporarily sat the Engine on the Engine Frame to align the Belt with both Pulleys. I will go into town and get the necessary items to plumb an Oil Drain Valve into the base of the Engine. Then I can permanently mount the Engine in place. I am attaching several photos showing the Engine in place.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
Nice!!
Your shop elves are practicing...

« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »
Nice!!
Your shop elves are practicing...

Hello Chris,

With a 8.4 to 1 ratio to the rear axle and that 14hp engine I am hoping NO wheelies :hellno:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #409 on: June 04, 2019, 06:02:58 PM »
Obviously you are waiting for the tornadoes to die down...but soon we'll see this thing motoring around? 8)

Seriously, good progress Thomas.

« Reply #410 on: June 04, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »
Obviously you are waiting for the tornadoes to die down...but soon we'll see this thing motoring around? 8)

Seriously, good progress Thomas.

Hello Bent,

Well another unexpected delay, the oil drain plug on the Kohler engine turns out to be a #$&% metric straight thread 12mm x 1.5. In other words a Jimmy Carter #&%^$ BOLT. (Sorry guys and gals for the following RANT) I wish Jimmy Carter had every metric fitting that has ever been brought into the US JABBED up his keister sideways:Mad: :cussing: :censored:

I had planned on extending the outlet to clear the Engine Frame plate so no mess when changing the oil. Normally the drain on small engines are 1/8, 1/4 or 3/8NPT and all you need is a appropriate size pipe nipple and a cap. I have ordered an adapter to get the Engine tested but do not like having an adapter in this location. I have ordered some hex bar and will machine a correct fitting and install it during the first oil change. In the meantime I will have to wait.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #411 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »
 :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:, wonder how many peanuts he sold by the Kg.? BTW, the instrument panel turned out to be just the framework and not the panel itself. Really looking forward to the “maiden voyage”   :ThumbsUp:

Eric

« Reply #412 on: June 04, 2019, 09:37:00 PM »
:lolb: :lolb: :lolb:, wonder how many peanuts he sold by the Kg.? BTW, the instrument panel turned out to be just the framework and not the panel itself. Really looking forward to the “maiden voyage”   :ThumbsUp:

Eric

Hello Eric,

I would be willing to bet not one peanut sold by the kg. What the heck was that guy thinking ( or not ) :noidea:

I was wondering about the panel, thanks for letting me know.

Well I was hoping to at least get some break in time on the Engine this week. I have to solve this oil drain problem before I bolt the Engine down permanently, maybe next week.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #413 on: June 04, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »
Just a minor glitch Thomas. Otherwise things are looking fantastic!!

Bill

« Reply #414 on: June 04, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
Just a minor glitch Thomas. Otherwise things are looking fantastic!!

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thank you and I know you are correct, but it just gets under my skin with this metric stuff. One hundred years from now, I won't even remember this... :ROFL:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2019, 01:44:54 AM »
I heard that the American Revolutionary Fathers had been going to adopt the French Metric System, and had ordered one of five existing standards sets. The Sets were sent over my a ship which got caught in a storm and sank. The French would not send another set over without being paid to make it, and the US refused.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2019, 02:04:50 AM »
I heard that the American Revolutionary Fathers had been going to adopt the French Metric System, and had ordered one of five existing standards sets. The Sets were sent over my a ship which got caught in a storm and sank. The French would not send another set over without being paid to make it, and the US refused.
Gerald.

Hello Gerald,

I have never heard that story before. Life sure has some strange twist and turns.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2019, 01:52:21 PM »
From what I'v read the ship from France was blown off course, and captured by pirates, and the bloke bringing the metric bits a pieces died in captivity on Monserrat.
Ian S C

« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »
From what I'v read the ship from France was blown off course, and captured by pirates, and the bloke bringing the metric bits a pieces died in captivity on Monserrat.
Ian S C

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the information, as I had stated earlier I had not heard this story before.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #419 on: June 10, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

I now have the Engine and all of the drive components secured to the Engine Frame. I have attached a video showing all the completed work to date. Tomorrow I should be able to do the first test run on the Engine. If the Engine test is OK, then I should be able to test all of the remaining drive components.

Thanks for following and have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zcTw3cad4w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zcTw3cad4w</a>
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal