Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65483 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
Real nice start! Love that gantry crane also, that's got to be real handy.

I love those old articles that show home built tractors, engines, & machines. You would think everyone had a home machine shop back then. (Probably built out of scrap) thanks for posting those Roger.  :ThumbsUp:

Looking good Thomas!

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
Your welder knocked out the neighborhood? Gotta stop using that terrawatt laser to weld with!
 :popcorn:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2018, 09:21:47 PM »
Your welder knocked out the neighborhood? Gotta stop using that terrawatt laser to weld with!

Come on Chris give me a break.....he he, my welder wasn't even turned on. I drove down the main road coming in and it was an old rotten pine tree that fell across the power line, just got power back on.

I will try and get more welding done tomorrow. Once I get it all squared up and clamped down, it should not take more than a couple of hours to completed welding the rectangular tubing and the gussets.

Have a great day,
Thomas

I'm going to fix a pizza and a "special" drink....or two.
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »

Come on Chris give me a break.....he he, my welder wasn't even turned on. I drove down the main road coming in and it was an old rotten pine tree that fell across the power line, just got power back on.

I will try and get more welding done tomorrow. Once I get it all squared up and clamped down, it should not take more than a couple of hours to completed welding the rectangular tubing and the gussets.

Have a great day,
Thomas

I'm going to fix a pizza and a "special" drink....or two.
There used to be a big old willow tree down the road from my street that knocked out the power a lot, was glad when they finally took the whole thing out!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
Good start Thomas. Too bad the power interruption stopped things temporarily.

Bill

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
Real nice start! Love that gantry crane also, that's got to be real handy.

I love those old articles that show home built tractors, engines, & machines. You would think everyone had a home machine shop back then. (Probably built out of scrap) thanks for posting those Roger.  :ThumbsUp:

Looking good Thomas!

John

Hi John,

I could not live without my electric crane, it is my third hand, helper and more. I used it to lift the Mill and Lathe up on their stands without any help. I have a 115v outlet under my carport and I use the crane out there a lot. It sure will come in handy on this Buggy project, lifting the engine back and forth in place many times and lifting the body on and off the chassis.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
Hello everyone,

Long delay this morning because I had to wait for the stores to open so I could buy more clamps. Took a lot more clamps to hold everything in place after squaring the Chassis. Holding the Gussets in each corner required a lot more clamps, but it is worth the extra effort. The Chassis is within 1/16-inch from opposite corner to opposite corner. Not to bad for a beginner.

Photo 1 and 2 showing some of the clamps. Photo 3 showing a gusset in one corner. I used 1-1/2x1-1/2x1/8 angle to make the gussets. Photo 4 showing a welded corner on the top. And the last photo is not a rain cloud in my shop....even with a fan pointed out one window the welding smoke build up pretty fast.

Next I will turn the Chassis over and if all goes well this afternoon I should be able to complete the required welding in this phase of construction.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Bummer. Welding is beyond me.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
Nice!   :popcorn:

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
Thanks guys,

Ok, the main Chassis is now completely welded. Need to do a little clean up work and it will be ready to add all the various brackets. I have the brackets drawn to scale and need to find a shop close by that can waterjet them out of plate. I have a shop that can plasma cut them if I cannot find a waterjet shop.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 10:00:50 PM »
A good day's work there Thomas. Glad the power stayed on today too  :)

Bill

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
A good day's work there Thomas. Glad the power stayed on today too  :)

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes me too about the power but I was really late getting to start welding and just finished up a few minutes ago. Got my clamps and started welding and ran out of wire, no biggie had a spare roll. In the process of installing the new spool, somehow I hit the Spool Gun switch inside the cabinet and was not aware that I had done this. Got the new wire installed and turned the welder on to feed the wire into the gun, and NOTHING! What? I opened the cabinet again and hit the gun trigger and the rollers did not move??? What the hey :shrug: I un-did the latch on the rollers and re-fastened it and still nothing. I am getting a bit frustrated now. Looked inside the cabinet again and noticed the switch in the wrong position, boy that was a relief. Anyway had a good day.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 11:25:09 PM »
Making good progress there, Thomas!

So, what's the trade-offs between plasma vs. water-jet cutting? Why might one prefer one over the other?  I know nothing about these things.

Kim

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2018, 06:58:21 AM »
Making good progress there, Thomas!

So, what's the trade-offs between plasma vs. water-jet cutting? Why might one prefer one over the other?  I know nothing about these things.

Kim

Hello Kim,

Waterjet cutting leaves an almost perfect edge and is more accurate than Plasma. Waterjet also induces very little heat into the material being cut. To be truthful in my case it really doesn’t matter that much. The brackets that I need will be cut out of 3/16" thick mild steel so Plasma will do just fine.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 06:51:48 PM »
There's a shop next door to where I work that does laser cutting...but they are about 2000 miles from you, so that's no help.  I assume the brackets are either (a) too fancy or (b) too numerous to just bang them out on the mini mill?

Smoke in the shop...one of the reasons I bought a Tig welder.  But your Mig welds make some of my work look like it was done by an amateur...oh wait it was.  :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal