Author Topic: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage  (Read 65725 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 1898 Automobile A.K.A. horseless carriage
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
Impressive progress!
Couple things though: will Julian be drawing plans for this vehicle, and where is the giant ruler in some of the shots for scale of this 'model'?   :ROFL:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »
Impressive progress!
Couple things though: will Julian be drawing plans for this vehicle, and where is the giant ruler in some of the shots for scale of this 'model'?   :ROFL:

Hello Chris,

rrr uuummm  uhaaa  :Doh:

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2018, 10:27:13 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Where there is a will there is a way...the Rear Axle is too wide for my small shop to slip into the Closed Axle Housings so I moved the Chassis back even with the door that goes into my house. Opened the door and was able to slip the Axle in with very little effort. I applied a good coat of Cop-Graf all over the Axle as I slid it into the Housing. There is still a lot of work to do, installing key stock, tightening all the set screws, alignment of the Driven Sprocket and the Brake Disc and some miscellaneous items, but we now have a stage-three rolling Chassis. This turned out to be one heck of a job but I am so pleased with the results.  :whoohoo: :cartwheel:

Next up will be to build and install all of the Steering system.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
Nice! Handy place for a door, good planning when building the house....

Never heard of CopGraf before, had to go look that one up (anti-sieze compound). Does that have lubrication properties, would it be useful on the models for bearings and such? Or is it just to keep parts from siezing?

« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2018, 12:58:54 AM »
Nice! Handy place for a door, good planning when building the house....

Never heard of CopGraf before, had to go look that one up (anti-sieze compound). Does that have lubrication properties, would it be useful on the models for bearings and such? Or is it just to keep parts from siezing?

Hello Chris,

Yes it has graphite and is SUPER slick, heat resistant, water proof, etc... This is really good stuff. You get it on your hands and it takes a lot of washing to get it off. Another brand (?spelling) Kopper-Kote I have used for many years in the marine industry.

Here is a link  https://www.antiseize.com/cop-graf-copper-and-graphite-based-anti-seize

Had to go look this one up: Kopr-Kote
https://www.jetlube.com/pages/kopr-koteIND.html

Have a great day,
Thomas
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:48:23 AM by Ye-Ole Steam Dude »
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
Ah, got it, did not realize all 4 wheels had roller bearings as-purchased.  You are just about ready for a test drive, just steering gear and motor mounting, then sit on a bucket and take it for a spin!  :D

« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »
Ah, got it, did not realize all 4 wheels had roller bearings as-purchased.  You are just about ready for a test drive, just steering gear and motor mounting, then sit on a bucket and take it for a spin!  :D

Hello Bent,

The bucket sounds like a good idea. Spent most of this morning ordering parts to build the steering system, so now I have to wait for delivery. I am hoping that installing the motor, CVT, FRN transmission and misc parts will not be a big deal.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2018, 08:25:20 PM »
Hello everybody,

I have put together another video, this is Part - 8 about building the Buggy.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKu2YbZc4yE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKu2YbZc4yE</a>
Thomas

Offline Cajun One

« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2018, 06:10:07 AM »
Great job Thomas your work is outstanding.. I have read through your build and pictures and have a question about the spring perches the ones on the frame are made out of angle iron and the ones on top of the axles or flat plate correct, are you going to put a arch of some type in them to match the curve of the springs are just tighten the bolts and just have a flat spot in the springs???  I'm planing on building one as well hope I have good luck as you are, I'm just in the planing stages now to cold in IL now.. Thanks again and great job :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
Great job Thomas your work is outstanding.. I have read through your build and pictures and have a question about the spring perches the ones on the frame are made out of angle iron and the ones on top of the axles or flat plate correct, are you going to put a arch of some type in them to match the curve of the springs are just tighten the bolts and just have a flat spot in the springs???  I'm planing on building one as well hope I have good luck as you are, I'm just in the planing stages now to cold in IL now.. Thanks again and great job :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Hello Wade,

First off welcome to the MEM forum.

Yes you are correct about the bottom Spring Perch being made from flat plate. I have some heavy duty rubber washers that will fit between the Perch and the Spring on just the front and rear bolts and act as a "spacer" on both the top and the bottom of each Spring. This allows me to make some fine adjustments to the position of the Axle relative to the Chassis. The Center bolt will always be tightened down "snug", but the bolts in front and in the rear can be adjusted causing the Spring to "roll" forward or backward a bit. Of course all the bolts will have aircraft grade self locking nuts on the final assembly. Good luck with your build and hope you share with us.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have started on the steering system and have made a big change in my design. Originally I had a Rack & Pinion and changed that to a steering box, but did not like the finished look. So now I have gone back to the Rack & Pinion design and have to make several changes. The steering Linkage will be made out of ½" black iron pipe which has a .840" od. This will be very strong and be the right size in scale for the overall looks. I machined each end so that I can weld a 3/8" fine thread Coupling Nut which will accept the Tie Rod Ends. The second photo shows the Tie Rod Ends that will be used and one of the U-joints and the Rack & Pinion. Once I get the Tie Rods assembled and the Rack & Pinion temporarily mounted I will post more photos.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »
Did you make the rack and pinion yourself?

« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:42 PM »
Did you make the rack and pinion yourself?

Hello Chris,

No, I surely do not have that capability. It was designed for off road racing and is extra strong and precession built.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Got both Drag Links built today. I cut the ½" Sch40 black pipe to length and inserted the 3/8" Coupling Nuts and then welded them in place. Put them in the lathe and turned down around the weld to a final shape. Next I will make the Chassis Hanger Brackets that one end of the Drag Links will bolt on to. I have to mount the Rack and Pinion before making the Axle Hanger Brackets.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2018, 01:10:56 AM »
More good progress Thomas. I am really looking forward to the bodywork as well.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal