Author Topic: #8 spark plug constrution  (Read 633 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
#8 spark plug constrution
« on: September 03, 2018, 02:32:58 AM »
 I made some more spark plugs for my V-8 engines I keep breaking them while moving the engines around. I did have 7 or 8 extra but now down to 1 so I decided to set up and make a dozen or so. I decided to video the steps I used while making my plugs. For a qty of plugs I set up my NC mill to turn the parts as an NC lathe. I have done various lathe jobs on my mill when I have a few to make (call me lazy) it get monotonous so I let the NC mill take care of it. Anyway here is the first video I try and explain how I start.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 03:04:51 AM by Doc »

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: #8 spark plug constrution
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:56:58 PM »
Ok we have made the program and now to set up machine. We dial in the vise then pick up the stationary jaw edge. That will be Y 0.000 on te lathe it would be your tool height on center line of your stock. Then we clamp up the tool and we need to find the edge of the tip of the tool. To do this I move over with the stock and take a cut. We measure the cut diameter and what ever we get we take the number divide it in half that would be your x axis number. The z axis is the top of the tool to end of stock. You now should be ready to go. Hope this is clear I sometime leave thing out. Here is video of setting up the machine.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
    • Ye Ole Steam Dude
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:45 PM »
Very interesting Doc, thanks for showing this procedure.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
Ok final steps getting material positioned in Z axis and running little spark plug insulator program and see what we get.
Hmm what will we get?

Offline Steamer5

• The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
Hi Doc,
 Pity cool!
The mill sounded like a jet winding down once you had cut the part...you must of had it wound up!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »
It was running 6,000rpm

Offline Steamer5

• The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »
Yeah gods! At that speed I hope you’ve got it bolted down!  :lolb:

Thanks Doc. My mill can only do 1/3 of that!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »
Ok here is installment #4 of the spark plug build. Next time we will finish them up. This process can be used on any size plug just adjust the size to your needs. I have used this process a few times with good success and The Corian material holds up surprisingly well. I haven't had any fail due to the material only had them fail due to a klutz that kept breaking them. :Doh:

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
  Well this is the last one spark plug build completed. Thanks to the one that showed interest and followed along. I need to use my NC mill a little more as an NC lathe it worked so well plus the high speed drill lathe attachment worked like a champ other than yes I had to use my power box with it but sure drilled the .0225 dia holes nice. Hope this little build will help give a little insight to how I make my spark plugs.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
Hay Doc

Thanks for taking the time to make those videos of how you manufacture your miniature spark plugs.

I found them both entertaining and informative.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Waiting for your next 'how to' videos.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »
Hi Doc,
Thanks for taking the time to make those videos of how you make your miniature spark plugs. I have a hard time getting anything done now, much less if I video it. So I know how much time it takes, thanks again. I would be interested in seeing the G-code you used for your insulators, if you would be willing to post it or send it to me. I still haven't got the best handle on writing it yet.

Thanks
John

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »
Here is the code a simple straight forward program I did put in comments explaining the lines in hopes that it will help visualize what it going on.

N01 SET_ZERO X-1.3660 Y-2.9082 Z-1.4897  / (SET UP ZERO POSITION FROM MACHINE ZERO)/
N02 / (====================================)/
N03 / (====CREATED BY GEORGE DOCKTER=======)/
N04 / (====8-48 SPARK PLUG INSULATOR=======)/
N05 / (====================================)/
N06 T1 M6               / ( CALLING TOOL 1 TO BE LOADED)==================================/
N07 G0 X.05 Z0           / (RAPID TO A Z0 TO SET STOCK STICK OUT)=========================/
N08 M0                   / (MACHINE STOP PULL MATERIAL OUT AGAINST TOOL AND TIGHTEN STOCK)/
N09 G0 X1                / (RAPID OFF OF TOOL)============================================/
N10 M0                   / (MACHINE STOP RAISE KNEE FO A FACE CUT)========================/
N11 M3 S6000            / (SPINDEL START AT 5000 RPM=====================================/
N12 X.5 Y0 Z0 G0         / (RAPID POSITION AT END OF PART TO FACE OFF)====================/
N13 G1 X-.02 F5          / (FACE OFF END FEEDRATE 5 IPM)==================================/
N14 G0 X.035             / (RAPID POSITION FOR START OF CHAMFER ROUGH CUT)================/
N15 G1 F5 X.05 Z-.055    / (ROUGH CUT CHAMFER ON END FEEDRATE 5 IPM)======================/
N16 Z-.360               / (ROUGH TURN ELECTRODE END)=====================================/
N17 G0 X.075             / (RAPID OUT)====================================================/
N18 Z-.0                 / (RAPID TO END OF PART)=========================================/
N19 G1 X.025 F5          / (POSITION FOR START OF CHAMFER FINISH CUT FEEDRATE 5 IPM)======/
N20 X.0465 Z-.065        / (FINISH CUT CHAMFER)===========================================/
N21 Z-.36                / (FINISH TURN ELECTRODE END)====================================/
N22 X.09                 / (POSITION FOR ROUGH CUT PLUG COLLAR)===========================/
N23 Z-.79                / (ROUGH CUT PLUG COLLAR)========================================/
N24 G0 X.1               / (RAPID MOVE OUT)===============================================/
N25 Z-.360               / (RAPID TO COLLAR START)========================================/
N26 G1 X.0815 F5         / (MOVE TO COLLAR OD FEEDRATE 5 IPM)=============================/
N27 Z-.456               / (TURN COLLAR DIA)==============================================/
N28 X.0725               / (PLUNG INTO PLUG END ROUGH DIA)================================/
N29 Z-.781               / (ROUGH TURN PLUG END)==========================================/
N30 G0 X.08              / (RAPID MOVE OUT)===============================================/
N31 Z-.456               / (RAPID TO START OF PLUG OD)====================================/
N32 G1 X.0625 F5         / ( MOVE TO FINISH PLUG OD FEEDRATE 5 IPM)=======================/
N33 Z-.639               / (FINISH PLUG OD TO FIRST GROOVE)===============================/
N34 X.05                 / (PLUNG IN FIRST GROOVE)========================================/
N35 X.0625               / (PULL BACK TO PLUG FINISH OD)==================================/
N36 Z-.679               / (FINISH PLUG OD TO SECOND GROOVE)==============================/
N37 X.05                 / (PLUNG IN FOR SECOND GROOVE)===================================/
N38 X.0625               / (MOVE BACK TO PLUG FINISH OD)==================================/             
N39 Z-.719               / (FINISH PLUG OD TO THIRD GROOVE)===============================/
N40 X.05                 / (PLUNG THIRD GROOVE)===========================================/
N41 X.0625               / (MOVE BACK TO PLUG FINISH OD)==================================/
N42 Z-.786               / (FINISH PLUG OD TO END)========================================/
N43 X-.02                / (PART OFF PART)================================================/
N44 G0 X1                / (RAPID TO A LOAD POSITION TO LOAD MATERIAL)====================/
N45 Z0 X.5               / (RAPID TO A LOAD POSITION TO LOAD MATERIAL)====================/
N46 M30                  / (PROGRAM END)==================================================/