Help! > Mistakes, muckups, and dangerous behaviour

Pliers wielding nurse.

(1/2) > >>

Colm:
"Are you squeamish?" says she, "I am" says I, "Pity about that" says she and with a twist of he wrist out came the first pin(stainless?) from the finger.
"Why?" says you, "did they put pins in your finger"
Well remember that sequence is important when you next slip a drill-chuck into the tailstock and press the motor-start button.
As the best murder ballads have it, a warning take by me.
Colm

PS they wouldn't let me keep even one of the pins.

Johnmcc69:
please don't read if "squeamish" or you just finished dinner..

I can feel your pain. Really.
 In my "fledgling" days of becoming a toolmaker, I was hammering a bearing into an aluminum housing, well...hammer/punch slipped severing the tendons clean in a finger. (Yep, should have used an arbor in a press. Won't make that mistake again..) during the surgery, they "wired" my tendons around the bone & tied the wire off at the top of the finger using what looked like a shirt button as a "washer". Was in a cast & splint for quite a while. Time passed & it was healing. Off the shop floor & into drafting...
 One day I caught the wire in a towel pulling it half way around my finger (not through) & freaked out, thinking I will need another surgery...

Visited my hand surgeon in his office & he asked to see the finger, casually holding my arm, he reached into a desk drawer & pulled out a small pair of needle nose pliers. Grabbed the end & it was out. Didn't even feel a thing.

Geez. I coulda' done that...

Seriously, we all think things like this won't happen in the "home" shop, but they do. Wear your safety glasses at ALL times, no loose clothing, jewelry, ETC. You should know the rules. (Read the manual..)

In my case, a lack of judgement & skill. My own fault.

Finger all better & no problems thanks to other craftsmen (in their fields).

John

zeeprogrammer:
 :ThumbsUp: It's good to get these reminders.

Ian S C:
Eighteen months after I broke my hip, I had the plate and screws removed, and was presented with a plastic bag with all the bits, that was 21 years ago, and it's still around the house somewhere. Took a bit more than a pair of pliers to get that out.
Ian S C

crueby:

--- Quote from: Ian S C on August 29, 2018, 01:07:20 PM ---Eighteen months after I broke my hip, I had the plate and screws removed, and was presented with a plastic bag with all the bits, that was 21 years ago, and it's still around the house somewhere. Took a bit more than a pair of pliers to get that out.
Ian S C

--- End quote ---
Must have been odd to hear them working on you with the air impact wrench from the garage...!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version