Author Topic: My shed  (Read 28029 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: My shed
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »
Very nice Jo  :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for the tour of your shed and the shed annex (the house :)).
You do have a lot of nice equipment!
Kim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »
Jo you have put together a very nice and capable shop; I don't need machines in the house as I consider my attached garage/shop just another room of the house. :lolb:
I would love to have the island work bench; it is so nice to be able to walk all the way around sometimes when working on a project. I don't have the room so when needed it is saw horses and a board.

I do have plans to make a welding table the will roll under my large work bench; I will be able to use it as a portable island bench when completed.

Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your work shop/s

Dave

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
After seeing some tiny square footage in other UK sheds here and on YouTube, it appears that you have the Downton Abbey of sheds.
The Hardinge is one of two lathes that I lust over. The other a 10EE.
Scott Nelson (Cheepo45) has a beautiful HLV-H in the Engineering Dept at Univ of Delaware that looks like it was just built. It has a full set of collets: Number, letter and fractional. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I must have missed the heat treat oven.. Where is it?
Best,
Stan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Thanks Kim and Dave  ;D

After seeing some tiny square footage in other UK sheds here and on YouTube, it appears that you have the Downton Abbey of sheds.

Stan, you have to understand normally there is his and hers space: This is his and hers space combined into my shed  :mischief:

I must have missed the heat treat oven.. Where is it?

I have two friends just up the road from me who have them. So it gives me an excuse to take a packet of Jaffa cakes to visit them  ;)

Jo

P.S. There is space for another bigger shed but I decided no one had a use for it so I chose to spend the money on more machines and more casting sets  >:D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:01:28 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
Hi Jo, many thanks for the interesting photo tour of the revised workshop and annexe: - you have got a superb workshop full of glorious machines!, not to mention all the intriguing bits and pieces...
  When I refurbished my largish living room a couple of years ago, and had it completely empty, concrete floor and so forth, I did spend a bit of a mad morning working out what workshop equipment could go into it!, and got quite excited, but then reality more or less had to take over.  Good job that I hadn't seen your set of photos back then....perhaps...!   

Cheers, Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
Hi Jo, many thanks for the interesting photo tour of the revised workshop and annexe: - you have got a superb workshop full of glorious machines!, not to mention all the intriguing bits and pieces...

There is many years of acquisitions and hoarding there  :embarassed:.

There was one chap had a old mansion with more reception rooms than you could shake a stick at.  I heard that he turned the Ballroom into his workshop, with the larger tools like the Bridgeport bolted through the Parquet floor  >:D

Jo

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
Hi Steve,

How to move the big Colchester? On 1" dia metal rollers, then using a pry bar to bump it into place. The same technique will be used for the additions I am hoping to add shortly  ;D

Hi Jo, I have found it easier to control moving heavy machinery by using the rollers lengthways and sliding the lathes along them .....as the point of contact between the round rod and flat lathe bottom is quite small there is very little resistance......in metric as well as imperial !!
Willbert

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »

There is many years of acquisitions and hoarding there  :embarassed:.

There was one chap had a old mansion with more reception rooms than you could shake a stick at.  I heard that he turned the Ballroom into his workshop, with the larger tools like the Bridgeport bolted through the Parquet floor  >:D

Jo
Used to know a fellow named Hayden Shepley from Boston. He was the scion of the Shepley Bullfinch architects, oldest in the US. He had a full size Steam Calliope and Stationary engine in his entrance hall, in addition to many vintage Lancia and other make cars lying around.
Mosey

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »
Thanks for the tour Jo,   You have a lovely light and airy workshop to play with all that equipment......Great stuff!        Terry

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
Jo

When I joined MEM you wrote:  " Hi: Mike, Don't forgot to mention your Ploughing Engine  :Love: , your engine cylinder sat on your desk at work when I was a lass is one of the reasons I now make models myself      Jo."

Did that Fowler cylinder really start you off into model making? Now you have a workshop to be proud of and a fine collection of castings patiently waiting to be turned into fine model engines. Well done.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:59:37 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Not entirely but your cylinder did start me thinking and then…I explained it on that other place:

Quote from: Jo
Quote from: Steamer
Quote from: G_N_R
Hi Jo
What a wonderful workshop you have.   

Usually modellers start very young in a workshop of a relative or a friend and develop from there.

So Jo where did your interest in model engineering originate?

Yes I think curiosity is rampant in this regard....   ;D

Dave

Where did my interest start?

Well as a toddler I showed more interest in "diggers" than dolls. I Finally convinced my parents to buy me mechanio at 14 (just what a teenage girl should want for Xmas!). At 16 I started an electrical engineering apprenticeship which for the first year included two weeks machine shop studies, which was the first time I had ever used a lathe: It did not inspire me.....

At 23 I was invited to a friend's house where his father had a workshop which included a lathe and he was making a 7 1/4" locomotive. It had never dawned on me that one could own a lathe at home. (My friend was clearly not impressed that I was showing more interest in his father's workshop than I was in him, so I was never invited back).

Within a week I have spotted an advert for my Myford lathe which I immediately purchased and subsequently found that one of the other engineers at work had the cylinder off of a 2" traction engine on his desk and enquired further, that led to finding my first model engineering club. I picked up a Stuart 10V at the White Elephant sale and that was the first thing I built.

Over the years I have slowly began to learn how to use the lathe and various machine tools and make more and more swarf. And sometimes even bits of the odd engine!

Jo
- - - -
(I had not mentioned the Clayton or any of my part built Locomotives as they are not actually model "Engines".)

You can probably guess who my friend was :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »
Phew!!! That's a relief to know I am not entirely to blame.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal