Author Topic: New (to me) Bridgeport Vertical Mill  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Re: New (to me) Bridgeport Vertical Mill
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »
Yogi:

A very nice looking addition. Congratulations.

Last time I moved my Bridgeport copy, some 20 years ago, the process was the same. Did you find the mill tended to swing when lifted with the fortlift? I remember this but it was on rougher ground, slow and easy got it done.

Great job, nice mill and wonderful shop. Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 08:04:06 PM »
Here's how one guy delivered my BP.
Jim Cook has probably moved more machinery than anyone can imagine.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINc3jxAPlM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINc3jxAPlM</a>
Best,
Stan

Offline vascon2196

• "a good craftsman never blames his tools"
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »
Congratulations on your new machine!
Chris from Southeastern Massachusetts

"a good craftsman never blames his tools"

Offline Grant Jones

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:24:06 PM »
Congratulations on your Bridgeport acquisition. I have a bridgeport clone. Had mine a year and sure like it. I am still learning on set-ups but not much a guy cannot do with this. Same old story  though, the tooling is what really puts a dent in your wallet.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 01:43:38 AM »
Just keep trolling eBay. I got a Criterion DBL-202 boring head on an R8 shank. I was the only bidder. $35. Might have been that the listing was "Brudgpirt bored head with r eight"
Best,
Stan

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 01:50:12 AM »
Thanks guys!  :cheers:

Patience is the key to eBay. I have scored some awesome deals before. So, anybody else looking for R8 tooling will have to compete against me for the next few month...  :naughty:

Hugh, I had a first class operator in the loader. The mill didn't even wiggle when we had it on the forks.  8) And of course slow and steady...

Online Twizseven

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 08:25:32 PM »
Stan, Yogi,

Just measured my ceiling height, 91.5" (7ft 71/2"),  So machine would fit but how much is required for the draw bar.  Garage door might be a problem, what is height with head tilted?

Thanks,

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Stan, Yogi,

Just measured my ceiling height, 91.5" (7ft 71/2"),  So machine would fit but how much is required for the draw bar.  Garage door might be a problem, what is height with head tilted?

Thanks,

Colin

Another who is taken by the idea of a flexible friend  :Lol:

Buy something serious like this: http://www.projectmachinery.co.uk/focus.aspx?itemID=13707 No problems with the head height, a serious nose and some tooling to get you going. Ok so no DRO but  :shrug: they will probably deliver it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
Colin, tilting the head over on the machine makes it a lot shorter. It will be in the neighborhood of 64 inches. That's the height of the machine, and then it needs to be lifted or on rollers or something to be moved, but that adds only a little. So unless your door is under 6 feet, you shouldn't have any problems getting it trough. I think you should have enough space to operate the draw bar. All you need to be able to do after loosening it, is to give it a tap to get the tool free from the taper. Maybe someone can enlighten us, who is using a B'port in a shop with a similar height ceiling as yours.

Jo, that's a really nice machine. Well, availability was a big part of the decision to go with a Bridgeport. There are a lot of them around here. Are you looking to trade???  :stickpoke:

Yogi

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:09 AM »
Low ceiling. Just enough height for the power drawbar. Problem solved
Best,
Stan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 03:46:35 AM »
Jo, that's a really nice machine. Well, availability was a big part of the decision to go with a Bridgeport. There are a lot of them around here. Are you looking to trade???  :stickpoke:

:Lol: No I was looking for a universal mill for what seems ages and as normal two come along like just buses. I have Tgs now and am very happy with my  German friend  ;)

As you say Bridgeport (turret) type mills are always available, cheap second hand quality R8 tooling isn't :Doh:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal