Author Topic: My shed  (Read 28036 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
My shed
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
My shed...  I actually now have three places that I make models. I have my library which houses the ?house lathe?, the back half of my garage that holds the main workshop and of late I have started moving into another of the outbuildings with my engravers.

The main place that I make swarf is the garage, it houses my old Myford, which is the first lathe that I ever owned:

In the corner is my Myford S7B she is two year older than me and following extensive restoration I hope she will out last me, most of my model making up to 2009 was done on her. Whilst very flexible, especially with that quick change gearbox for screw cutting she now rarely gets used as in 2009 having failed over six months to convince Myfords to sell me a brand new Connoisseur I gave in and brought this "new" Prazimat lathe :whoohoo::

She was purchased along with my BCA to mark the completion of my University studies and being allowed to return to the love of my life: making things in my workshop :Love:!

Moving clockwise around this is my hobbymat lathe. She is a lovely mid sized lathe and until I purchased my Cowells was used for all my fiddly stuff. I should admit that like the Prazimat she came to me in as new condition and at a time when everyone was selling up all their Hobbymat accessories so she is fully equipped with everything you could buy for her. ;)

In the far side of the Hobbymat is my assembly bench and then my Prazimat Mill, which was purchased brand new for an arm and a leg back in the early 1990s. For many years she was used as a very expensive drilling machine until last year when my Company generously funded the DROs for both this machine and the Harrison you will see in a second. Boy what a difference ;D!

This is my biggest lathe the Colchester Master, rarely used but wonderful to have if it is needed, this is my only lathe with a taper turning attachment and I also have a useful set of Bernard multi-sized collets for her.

Hiding behind the small piece of white board is a Union cutter grinder, which is getting increasing use.

Next set of tools is my Harrison mill which I have also fitted with DROs on the right hand side is a Alexander cutter grinders and then my beloved BCA :Love:, which you will see often in my posts.

Moving inside I have the house lathe, my Cowells :Love: , which is now responsible for the small fiddly stuff:

And then there is the Portakabin. I had promised that this 20ft by 10ft ?shed would be for the fella in my life but after so many years of it not being used I have started to move into it as well, with this Taylor Hobson:

And the other smaller pantograph:

The final items which I do not currently have photo?s of is my Alba 10A shaper (the little Alba 1a hand shaper), the 4? mechanical hacksaw and the full height drilling machine which reside in the main garage with the 20 ton press. (There is also a Meddings drill and larger bench on the fourth wall of the workshop.)

That is my workshop to date but as I always say you can?t have too many tools (or castings) so it is likley to increase.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

Re: My shed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »
What a wonderfully laid out and well organised empire you have there Jo, so much space to move around in, definite drools from me.

You're going to have to be very careful, there are some unscrupulous model engineers that would court you just to get hold of that great workshop. :Lol:

John

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
You're going to have to be very careful, there are some unscrupulous model engineers that would court you just to get hold of that great workshop. :Lol:

John

No worries there: after all these years no one has caught me 'cause I am normally hiding in the workshop  :LittleDevil:

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
No worries there: after all these years no one has caught me 'cause I am normally hiding in the workshop 

But now you're exposed  :Love:

It's a wonderful looking shop.
I'm in the basement. And aside from better equipment and tooling...I want windows.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
Nice Jo!   Would love to see pictures of the Alba.....I love shapers!....but the Aciera came up so the 7" AAMCO had to go.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
Wow............just wow :NotWorthy:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
Nice Jo!   Would love to see pictures of the Alba.....I love shapers!....but the Aciera came up so the 7" AAMCO had to go.

Dave

.....and no you can't have the Aciera.....she's mine!  alllllll mine!  (insert sinister laugh here...) ;D
Damned ijjit!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
What a fantastic shop Jo. You have some great stuff in there

Steve

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
Bogs got it right Jo....definitely drooling here as well. Not to mention tool envy, space envy, etc., etc.   Looks to be nicely organized and laid out...I can only hope to have that much space someday.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
Bill,

I am lucky I brought a run down hovel of a house set in 1/2 acre of land. The house has been rebuilt to my specifications including this little workshop/garage:

For some reason whilst it was being built I was grassed up to the local authorities planning department because they thought I was building a bungalow in the garden  :disappointed: anyone can see it is only a small  workshop shed  ;D. You may have noticed that behind the garage is sufficient space to build another "shed" :pinkelephant:.

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »
Jo, so the shed shown...is that the one you noted above as 20' x 10' in size ?  How nice that you have more space to expand as well !!!  Now I can add land envy to the list...lol.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
Jo, so the shed shown...is that the one you noted above as 20' x 10' in size ?  Bill

No that one is hidden behind. The garage is a mear 35ft by 21ft 8), up to the end of the double window is the main workshop.

Jo

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Jo,
That is a very nicely equipped shed. What is the swing of the Colchester Master?

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
The master can swin 11 inches over the saddle and nearly 22 inches into the gap. The best bit is the 1 3/4" hole up the nose  ;D

Jo

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Awesome setup Jo, looks like you are covered for almost every eventuality! Have you ever thought about a surface grinder? I used one a few times at University and it made life so much easier for some jobs - not to mention the great finish you could get on things making them look very professional.

I have been on the lookout for a Harrison milling machine just like yours ever since I got my L5 lathe. The L5 is good but unfortunately mine has a small bore (MT3) and no gap so not as versatile as it could be. Should still do most things I need though. My Chinese mill has been a disappointment but thinking about it, it's probably still got a purposes as a posh drilling machine - I guess the Harrison mill isn't much good for drilling as there's no quill feed? but not sure I have room for both!

The prazimat lathe looks similar to Ceriani? The mill looks similar to some of the sieg ones, as do Wabeco - I always wonder what Wabeco do to them to justify the x10 price?! Can you still buy Prazimat? How do you find it?

Nick

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
drooling that much over the laptop I nearly shorted it out!
did you wait until they made squatting illegal before posting?
otherwise you could have ended up with a bunch of model engineers claiming squatters rights!

now there's a question - what is the collective noun for a group of model engine makers? ...an intelligence? ...a precision?

yours in envy

peter

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 05:05:32 PM »
Jo, can I claim you as my long lost sister, that way you can put me in your will. Drulling on this end also with envy.  :NotWorthy: looks like you just about have everything you need in there, but if you are like me you never hav enough tools.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »
I guess the Harrison mill isn't much good for drilling as there's no quill feed? but not sure I have room for both!

The prazimat lathe looks similar to Ceriani? The mill looks similar to some of the sieg ones, as do Wabeco - I always wonder what Wabeco do to them to justify the x10 price?! Can you still buy Prazimat? How do you find it?

Nick

Yes, the Harrison mill is poor for drilling. The Prazimat was almost a clone of an old Emco lathe, the Prazimat mill has just become available gain for a very reasonable price, so I would not be surprised to see the lathe appear again.   Second hand Prazimat's turn up but make sure it is fully kitted because it has a DIN tapered nose. It is magic :pinkelephant: a professional lathe in miniature,it is more like the Colchester rather than the Myford C which was more of a hobby lathe).

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
Jo, can I claim you as my long lost sister, that way you can put me in your will.

Don

There's a sore point, my sister if she inherited my stuff would probably have the entire workshop and models ditched :'(. We have different interests at best she will take notice of the note that says they are worth money and put them on Fleabay and convert them into cash. But I am as yet young (I keep telling myself this), and trust I will yet find something better to do with them, before the time comes.

Maybe being adopted would be an option ::) but they would have to be a  :LittleAngel: to put up with me, I am normally in my workshop.

Jo

Bogstandard

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »
By the time all the model engineers have read this post Jo, you will be the most eligible bachelorette in the UK.

So beware of smooth talkers and ones wanting to take you out for a meal, the type who bring you a casting set instead of flowers and chocolates.

You then know they are only after one thing, your machinery, the metal ones that is, not the flesh. >:D

John

Offline old phart

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it. >:D

Say's it all I think!!

Kind regards,

Ron.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »
Doesn't seem as though Jo is short of casting sets though John. So .... what sort of flowers and chocolates do you like?!  :Love:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
Doesn't seem as though Jo is short of casting sets though John. So .... what sort of flowers and chocolates do you like?!  :Love:

Not short of casting sets :hellno:, next you will be trying to tell me that I don't need any more tools  :ShakeHead:.

Jo

Offline metalmudler

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
Great to see your setup Jo.Mindblowing!!  :o

the type who bring you a casting set instead of flowers and chocolates.

Hahahahahahaa...That is so darn funny :lolb:

It's not done, until it's DONE... Even then there is something else to do to it !..

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
But Paul, that is just the Mk 1 Shed, as you can see I am planning Mk 2  ;D http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1198.0.html

Jo
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:02:11 PM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »
I have had a request for further details about my modified tool holder on my Deckel SO cutter grinder:

the original tool holder took Deckel collets that you can see in the lower part of this picture, with one of the deckel collets. I have taken this out and replaced it with a simple sleeve of 3/4" O/D which has a grub screw in the end that I used to mount different sized collets:

The grub screw also clamps what ever is in the collet. With a simple click mounted in the hole on the tool slide:

you end up with a simple conversion that lets you mount end cutters and slot drills in the grinder for sharpening ;).

Jo

Offline Russell

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 07:22:20 AM »
When I was at school, I worked holidays in a small engineering works owned by our neighbour. For a pittance, I separated the product from the swarf and filled my fingers with splinters. I remember the day when the chief toolmaker had his old Harrison lathe turned over for a Colchester (Master I think). The whole works came to a stop to see the first cut taken off a steel bar. Oh what class it was. The works still exists run by the grandson of our neighbour and the Colchester is still there. The last Brit lathe they bought. It was Pakistani and Chinese from then on. The old Traub automatics are still running 50 years on. I see Colchester students coming up from time to time and am tempted through sentiment. I have just bought a 30 year old Chinese lathe (to accompany the ML7 and the Lantaine (Taiwanese). It is very big and I am looking forward to installing it.
Where was I? Oh yes. Old British lathes were so classy. Love your workshop. Long may you have fun in it.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
 :hi: Russell,

Pleased you like my workshop. :embarassed:

Any chance of putting a quick introduction about yourself in the introduction section, thanks,

Jo

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
That grinder is very similar to my Gorton 265...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
 ;) I know and I have the instruction for mine.

Jo

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
Hi Jo,
          can you tell me the make of that anglepoisy bendy magnifyng thingy hanging over the Hobby lathe...I need one for the sherline, getting  :old: and my eyes start pointing in different directions  when looking at that shop of yours...will have to stop doing that.
                    All the best for now,
                                                 John.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
Sorry John that is an ancient magnifier that I acquired from work that we used to use for PCD assembly: it is great :ThumbsUp: . I tried buying one of these http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=lamp&PN=Optical_Aids_and_Workshop_Lighting%2ehtml#a8609L but the magnification is not right and the two lumps on either side obscure your view.  (and the electronics gave in after 6 months that started the fluorescent :wallbang:)

The only magnifier that I have purchased recently has been from craftlight who visit our shows which is this one:  http://www.craftlights.co.uk/acatalog/Low_Vision_Magnifying_Lamps.html#a56 it is nice in that it is correctly focused but again it has that nasty wide boarder around the lamp. (They are normally £50 at the shows). They also do a nice bendy arm magnifier without the border that I was thinking I might pick one up of.

Jo

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
Thanks Jo, and good luck at the show and do not falter...John.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
Somebody is sure proud of that one Jo. I noticed it has two sizes of flourescent bulbs in it too, at least it appears that way...twice the number of spare bulbs to keep on hand.

For now I'll be sticking to the $9.95 Ikea lamps and the trusty magna-visor :)

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
She has three daylight bulbs in her: you notice if one goes down.
I must say she is my favourite magnifier and having seen that price I am still pleased I recovered her from being thrown out  ;D.

Jo

Offline kellswaterri

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:15:06 PM by kellswaterri »

Offline swood1

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:14 PM »
Hi Jo I am curious,

How did you get the big lathe in your shop? Also I have a BCA jig borer too, I have the mach3 model. Why do you like it so much?  I have made most my own tools for it, do you have a small dividing head for yours?

Steve

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 07:09:48 AM »
Hi Steve,

How to move the big Colchester? On 1" dia metal rollers, then using a pry bar to bump it into place. The same technique will be used for the additions I am hoping to add shortly  ;D

The BCA is a lovely machine, not as wonderful as Sexy you understand  :embarassed: but so much nicer than my Prazimat mill with its round column. Plenty of feel when I make things.

The dividing head I use on the BCA is a GHT dividing head. This is the second of my GHT dividing heads on Sexy:

I tried using a Cowells dividing head on the BCA but it was not a patch on the GHT head  :ShakeHead:.

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »
Jo,

Do you not find the swarf sticks to the curtains :LittleDevil:

I also think Sexy looks forlorn sat there without any Bling on her.  I'm sure I can here her whispering DRO DRO DRO DRO all the way up here in the Midlands.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 05:44:28 PM »
I also think Sexy looks forlorn sat there without any Bling on her.  I'm sure I can here her whispering DRO DRO DRO DRO all the way up here in the Midlands.

:facepalm: Someone who can't tell the sex of a Milling machine by looking at him.

Maybe you just aren't attracted to the same features as I am  :embarassed:

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »
Oops

Offline swood1

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »
Hi Jo,

Excuse my ignorance but is a GHT dividing head one you make from castings?

Steve

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 11:39:35 AM »
 ;) Yes. If you go to Sexy's thread http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=2775.msg76875#msg76875 you will find I detailed its construction.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 03:57:05 PM »
 ::) My how time flies did I really start this thread in October 12  :o As things have changed in my little shed I thought I would provide a few new photos:

Last year I had Mr Silky move in with me  :embarassed: :

He pinched the slot where the Prazimat had been sitting by the window and has been relegated to the end of the bench while I decide if I am going to scrap it or not (the chucks and the DRO for spares are worth more to me than I would get for the lathe  :disappointed:). The assembly bench has lost the Hobbymat who is now a tax exile in Switerland  :) The Prazimat Mill again like the lathe has more value as a co-odinate drill and spare DRO head for the Harrison than I could get if I sold it  :-\

The Colchester and Union cutter grinder are still here but there is a nice  :headscratch: new Workshop gnome mansion gone up in the real estate behind the cutter grinder which also acts as the distribution box for the output of the three phase rotor converter that is hiding behind  ;)

The Harrison has kept its home in the corner but the middle of the workshop has sprouted this island bench for keeping my spare castings on  ;D

The BCA is still here but Tgs has move in where the Myford S7B used to be.

And he kicked the bench down to give him a bit more space  ::)

Out of the main workshop hides the smelly Delapena hone. On its right is an old mechanical hacksaw and further on a very sad looking shaper who has donated its box to Tgs for now.

Inside Sexy is at home in the corner.

He is custodian of my casting collection as is doing his best to hoard as many as I can acquire  8)

And his friend the house lathe  ;D

Jo
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:03:10 PM by Jo »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »
Very nice Jo  :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for the tour of your shed and the shed annex (the house :)).
You do have a lot of nice equipment!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »
Jo you have put together a very nice and capable shop; I don't need machines in the house as I consider my attached garage/shop just another room of the house. :lolb:
I would love to have the island work bench; it is so nice to be able to walk all the way around sometimes when working on a project. I don't have the room so when needed it is saw horses and a board.

I do have plans to make a welding table the will roll under my large work bench; I will be able to use it as a portable island bench when completed.

Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your work shop/s

Dave

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
After seeing some tiny square footage in other UK sheds here and on YouTube, it appears that you have the Downton Abbey of sheds.
The Hardinge is one of two lathes that I lust over. The other a 10EE.
Scott Nelson (Cheepo45) has a beautiful HLV-H in the Engineering Dept at Univ of Delaware that looks like it was just built. It has a full set of collets: Number, letter and fractional. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I must have missed the heat treat oven.. Where is it?
Best,
Stan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Thanks Kim and Dave  ;D

After seeing some tiny square footage in other UK sheds here and on YouTube, it appears that you have the Downton Abbey of sheds.

Stan, you have to understand normally there is his and hers space: This is his and hers space combined into my shed  :mischief:

I must have missed the heat treat oven.. Where is it?

I have two friends just up the road from me who have them. So it gives me an excuse to take a packet of Jaffa cakes to visit them  ;)

Jo

P.S. There is space for another bigger shed but I decided no one had a use for it so I chose to spend the money on more machines and more casting sets  >:D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:01:28 PM by Jo »

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
Hi Jo, many thanks for the interesting photo tour of the revised workshop and annexe: - you have got a superb workshop full of glorious machines!, not to mention all the intriguing bits and pieces...
  When I refurbished my largish living room a couple of years ago, and had it completely empty, concrete floor and so forth, I did spend a bit of a mad morning working out what workshop equipment could go into it!, and got quite excited, but then reality more or less had to take over.  Good job that I hadn't seen your set of photos back then....perhaps...!   

Cheers, Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
Hi Jo, many thanks for the interesting photo tour of the revised workshop and annexe: - you have got a superb workshop full of glorious machines!, not to mention all the intriguing bits and pieces...

There is many years of acquisitions and hoarding there  :embarassed:.

There was one chap had a old mansion with more reception rooms than you could shake a stick at.  I heard that he turned the Ballroom into his workshop, with the larger tools like the Bridgeport bolted through the Parquet floor  >:D

Jo

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
Hi Steve,

How to move the big Colchester? On 1" dia metal rollers, then using a pry bar to bump it into place. The same technique will be used for the additions I am hoping to add shortly  ;D

Hi Jo, I have found it easier to control moving heavy machinery by using the rollers lengthways and sliding the lathes along them .....as the point of contact between the round rod and flat lathe bottom is quite small there is very little resistance......in metric as well as imperial !!
Willbert

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »

There is many years of acquisitions and hoarding there  :embarassed:.

There was one chap had a old mansion with more reception rooms than you could shake a stick at.  I heard that he turned the Ballroom into his workshop, with the larger tools like the Bridgeport bolted through the Parquet floor  >:D

Jo
Used to know a fellow named Hayden Shepley from Boston. He was the scion of the Shepley Bullfinch architects, oldest in the US. He had a full size Steam Calliope and Stationary engine in his entrance hall, in addition to many vintage Lancia and other make cars lying around.
Mosey

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »
Thanks for the tour Jo,   You have a lovely light and airy workshop to play with all that equipment......Great stuff!        Terry

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
Jo

When I joined MEM you wrote:  " Hi: Mike, Don't forgot to mention your Ploughing Engine  :Love: , your engine cylinder sat on your desk at work when I was a lass is one of the reasons I now make models myself      Jo."

Did that Fowler cylinder really start you off into model making? Now you have a workshop to be proud of and a fine collection of castings patiently waiting to be turned into fine model engines. Well done.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:59:37 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Not entirely but your cylinder did start me thinking and then…I explained it on that other place:

Quote from: Jo
Quote from: Steamer
Quote from: G_N_R
Hi Jo
What a wonderful workshop you have.   

Usually modellers start very young in a workshop of a relative or a friend and develop from there.

So Jo where did your interest in model engineering originate?

Yes I think curiosity is rampant in this regard....   ;D

Dave

Where did my interest start?

Well as a toddler I showed more interest in "diggers" than dolls. I Finally convinced my parents to buy me mechanio at 14 (just what a teenage girl should want for Xmas!). At 16 I started an electrical engineering apprenticeship which for the first year included two weeks machine shop studies, which was the first time I had ever used a lathe: It did not inspire me.....

At 23 I was invited to a friend's house where his father had a workshop which included a lathe and he was making a 7 1/4" locomotive. It had never dawned on me that one could own a lathe at home. (My friend was clearly not impressed that I was showing more interest in his father's workshop than I was in him, so I was never invited back).

Within a week I have spotted an advert for my Myford lathe which I immediately purchased and subsequently found that one of the other engineers at work had the cylinder off of a 2" traction engine on his desk and enquired further, that led to finding my first model engineering club. I picked up a Stuart 10V at the White Elephant sale and that was the first thing I built.

Over the years I have slowly began to learn how to use the lathe and various machine tools and make more and more swarf. And sometimes even bits of the odd engine!

Jo
- - - -
(I had not mentioned the Clayton or any of my part built Locomotives as they are not actually model "Engines".)

You can probably guess who my friend was :embarassed:

Jo

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »
Phew!!! That's a relief to know I am not entirely to blame.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal