Author Topic: My shed  (Read 28033 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
My shed
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
My shed...  I actually now have three places that I make models. I have my library which houses the ?house lathe?, the back half of my garage that holds the main workshop and of late I have started moving into another of the outbuildings with my engravers.

The main place that I make swarf is the garage, it houses my old Myford, which is the first lathe that I ever owned:

In the corner is my Myford S7B she is two year older than me and following extensive restoration I hope she will out last me, most of my model making up to 2009 was done on her. Whilst very flexible, especially with that quick change gearbox for screw cutting she now rarely gets used as in 2009 having failed over six months to convince Myfords to sell me a brand new Connoisseur I gave in and brought this "new" Prazimat lathe :whoohoo::

She was purchased along with my BCA to mark the completion of my University studies and being allowed to return to the love of my life: making things in my workshop :Love:!

Moving clockwise around this is my hobbymat lathe. She is a lovely mid sized lathe and until I purchased my Cowells was used for all my fiddly stuff. I should admit that like the Prazimat she came to me in as new condition and at a time when everyone was selling up all their Hobbymat accessories so she is fully equipped with everything you could buy for her. ;)

In the far side of the Hobbymat is my assembly bench and then my Prazimat Mill, which was purchased brand new for an arm and a leg back in the early 1990s. For many years she was used as a very expensive drilling machine until last year when my Company generously funded the DROs for both this machine and the Harrison you will see in a second. Boy what a difference ;D!

This is my biggest lathe the Colchester Master, rarely used but wonderful to have if it is needed, this is my only lathe with a taper turning attachment and I also have a useful set of Bernard multi-sized collets for her.

Hiding behind the small piece of white board is a Union cutter grinder, which is getting increasing use.

Next set of tools is my Harrison mill which I have also fitted with DROs on the right hand side is a Alexander cutter grinders and then my beloved BCA :Love:, which you will see often in my posts.

Moving inside I have the house lathe, my Cowells :Love: , which is now responsible for the small fiddly stuff:

And then there is the Portakabin. I had promised that this 20ft by 10ft ?shed would be for the fella in my life but after so many years of it not being used I have started to move into it as well, with this Taylor Hobson:

And the other smaller pantograph:

The final items which I do not currently have photo?s of is my Alba 10A shaper (the little Alba 1a hand shaper), the 4? mechanical hacksaw and the full height drilling machine which reside in the main garage with the 20 ton press. (There is also a Meddings drill and larger bench on the fourth wall of the workshop.)

That is my workshop to date but as I always say you can?t have too many tools (or castings) so it is likley to increase.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

Re: My shed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »
What a wonderfully laid out and well organised empire you have there Jo, so much space to move around in, definite drools from me.

You're going to have to be very careful, there are some unscrupulous model engineers that would court you just to get hold of that great workshop. :Lol:

John

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
You're going to have to be very careful, there are some unscrupulous model engineers that would court you just to get hold of that great workshop. :Lol:

John

No worries there: after all these years no one has caught me 'cause I am normally hiding in the workshop  :LittleDevil:

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
No worries there: after all these years no one has caught me 'cause I am normally hiding in the workshop 

But now you're exposed  :Love:

It's a wonderful looking shop.
I'm in the basement. And aside from better equipment and tooling...I want windows.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
Nice Jo!   Would love to see pictures of the Alba.....I love shapers!....but the Aciera came up so the 7" AAMCO had to go.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
Wow............just wow :NotWorthy:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
Nice Jo!   Would love to see pictures of the Alba.....I love shapers!....but the Aciera came up so the 7" AAMCO had to go.

Dave

.....and no you can't have the Aciera.....she's mine!  alllllll mine!  (insert sinister laugh here...) ;D
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
What a fantastic shop Jo. You have some great stuff in there

Steve

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
Bogs got it right Jo....definitely drooling here as well. Not to mention tool envy, space envy, etc., etc.   Looks to be nicely organized and laid out...I can only hope to have that much space someday.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
Bill,

I am lucky I brought a run down hovel of a house set in 1/2 acre of land. The house has been rebuilt to my specifications including this little workshop/garage:

For some reason whilst it was being built I was grassed up to the local authorities planning department because they thought I was building a bungalow in the garden  :disappointed: anyone can see it is only a small  workshop shed  ;D. You may have noticed that behind the garage is sufficient space to build another "shed" :pinkelephant:.

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »
Jo, so the shed shown...is that the one you noted above as 20' x 10' in size ?  How nice that you have more space to expand as well !!!  Now I can add land envy to the list...lol.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
Jo, so the shed shown...is that the one you noted above as 20' x 10' in size ?  Bill

No that one is hidden behind. The garage is a mear 35ft by 21ft 8), up to the end of the double window is the main workshop.

Jo

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Jo,
That is a very nicely equipped shed. What is the swing of the Colchester Master?

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
The master can swin 11 inches over the saddle and nearly 22 inches into the gap. The best bit is the 1 3/4" hole up the nose  ;D

Jo

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Awesome setup Jo, looks like you are covered for almost every eventuality! Have you ever thought about a surface grinder? I used one a few times at University and it made life so much easier for some jobs - not to mention the great finish you could get on things making them look very professional.

I have been on the lookout for a Harrison milling machine just like yours ever since I got my L5 lathe. The L5 is good but unfortunately mine has a small bore (MT3) and no gap so not as versatile as it could be. Should still do most things I need though. My Chinese mill has been a disappointment but thinking about it, it's probably still got a purposes as a posh drilling machine - I guess the Harrison mill isn't much good for drilling as there's no quill feed? but not sure I have room for both!

The prazimat lathe looks similar to Ceriani? The mill looks similar to some of the sieg ones, as do Wabeco - I always wonder what Wabeco do to them to justify the x10 price?! Can you still buy Prazimat? How do you find it?

Nick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal