Author Topic: Some of the Boys at Play  (Read 2310 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Some of the Boys at Play
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »
Some of the boys were let out to play today

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnfhx0m0os" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnfhx0m0os</a>

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Some of the Boys at Play
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
Hello Stew,

That is fantastic, never get tired of watching and hearing Steam Loco's running. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
Thanks Stew. Always fun to watch and a nice track they have there too.

Bill

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:43:30 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Very cool Stew! Great vid!
 Noobie question..what do these burn for fuel?

John

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 12:47:22 AM »
That is very cool!
I've got another newbie question; how come all the smoke and steam is coming out a hole very close to the cab, and NOT coming out the smoke stack?   I thought that steam engines had a blast pipe under the smoke stack where the steam exits, and this helped provide draft to keep the smoke and heat coming that way through the boiler?  Inquiring (and under educated minds) want to know!  :thinking:
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 02:26:43 AM »
I always enjoy these kind of video. Thanks!
Touches on a dream of mine.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 02:53:39 AM »
That is very cool!
I've got another newbie question; how come all the smoke and steam is coming out a hole very close to the cab, and NOT coming out the smoke stack?   I thought that steam engines had a blast pipe under the smoke stack where the steam exits, and this helped provide draft to keep the smoke and heat coming that way through the boiler?  Inquiring (and under educated minds) want to know!  :thinking:
Kim
Looks like thats the safety valve blowing.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 07:10:33 AM »
Thanks for your comments chaps

I'll try an answer your ?.

?: What fuel do they use

A: Good old Welsh steam coal

?: I've got another newbie question; how come all the smoke and steam is coming out a hole very close to the cab, and NOT coming out the smoke stack?

A: What you are seeing there is the safety valve blowing off.

?:  I thought that steam engines had a blast pipe under the smoke stack where the steam exits, and this helped provide draft to keep the smoke and heat coming that way through the boiler?  Inquiring (and under educated minds) want to know!  :thinking:

A: Yes you are quite correct about the blast pipe these model have blast pipes and blowers just like full size locos. The only time you see smoke coming out of the funnel is after you've stoked some coal on and it not got going properly (black Smoke) or if the coal is wet (white Smoke) the atmosphere and air temperature also effects this, once the coal starts to burn efficiently you don't get much smoke at all, the fire is really white hot. One of the jobs of the fireman was to monitor the smoke coming out of the chimney, he tried to manipulate his rate of feeding the coal and control of the blower that feeds a jet of steam up the chimney increasing the draft to get an efficient burn.

If you look at the second light green engine you can see white steam coming from under the cylinder, whats happened her is that John the driver has forgotten to close the drain cox as he pulled away and they are leaking steam. When the loco is stationary you get a small amount of steam leaking past the regulator into the cylinders this steam condenses and you get a build up of water in the cylinders this water can build up to such an extent that it will push the cylinder covers off, damaging the engine, so before you open the regulator  to pull away you open the drain cox and you get a jet of water coming out of the cox as you start to move once you are under way you close the cox.

Stew
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:14:58 AM by sbwhart »

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »
Nice photos and videos Stew, some nice big engines there - are they compound or 3 cylinders or something?
Sounded like a lot of exhaust beats. I took my bought Ajax to club for steam test on Tuesday night, it didn’t pass, I have a few things to sort: locking device on safety valve spring retainers, a couple of pipes on back head have soft solder rather than silver, blower is too aggressive - I am going to restrict the amount the valve opens as it draws the fire too much, the safety valves have no chance of keeping up! And I had a leak from stream dome. Think I damaged the gasket.  On the plus side I had a couple of laps around track and it pulls excellently ! Very happy!

How is yours going ?

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
Thanks for the great explanations Stew!

John

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »
Nice photos and videos Stew, some nice big engines there - are they compound or 3 cylinders or something?
Sounded like a lot of exhaust beats. I took my bought Ajax to club for steam test on Tuesday night, it didn’t pass, I have a few things to sort: locking device on safety valve spring retainers, a couple of pipes on back head have soft solder rather than silver, blower is too aggressive - I am going to restrict the amount the valve opens as it draws the fire too much, the safety valves have no chance of keeping up! And I had a leak from stream dome. Think I damaged the gasket.  On the plus side I had a couple of laps around track and it pulls excellently ! Very happy!

How is yours going ?

Nick

Hi Nick:- Sorry for the late reply bin away on a short holiday. Sorry to her your Ajax is having steam test problems but it doesn't sound too serious all things that can be sorted out. How's you job building proper trains going, UK railways need new trains especially in the north the buggers seem to send the new trains too the south and transfer the old ones up north, the SE get far too much spent on them what about the northern power house ?.

My Simplex is going well I'm due the four year hydraulic test this November so I'll probably take the opportunity to touch the paint work up a bit, the Crab build is slowly coming on I've nearly finished fitting the valve motion I'll post some pictures in a couple of weeks.

As for the locos in the video they are all two cylinders piston valved.

Take care
Stew

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
Sorry Stew I only just saw this, should have got a notification but it didn’t work for some reason.

Nothing too serious on Ajax, I’ve done most of the mods, it’s just finding time to do it.

Train building is getting better, you might have seen the new class 385s starting to enter service in scotland, that is the train our team has been working on for the last 3-4 years. Between 5 of us we designed / project engineered over half of the interior.

Agreed about trains in the north, we will be seeing new ones on the east coast mainline soon then there is Transpennine express and a few for hull. Believe another company is making new trains for northern and there is a bid in for Newcastle metro so things are looking up!

Good to hear the simplex is still going well, can’t wait to get mine going before Xmas is the aim now.

Cheers

Nick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal