Author Topic: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.  (Read 24137 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
Hi Jason.

From my experience the higher up the tube the " hot spot " is, the more retarded is the timing. But as you pointed out and from the video, I can see that the tube was barely hot enough. I like to see a bright Red towards Orange colour.

I can't remember if I sealed the valve stem but it shouldn't leak heavily if you have the supply side on the head of the valve.

It's nice to see the fourth engine in the line running so well but I do think the ignition is slightly retarded. Like you I have a single HP gas feed but did the same as my Gardner and Robinson and put a fine hole restrictor over the inlet pipe to the gas control ( throttle ) valve.

I'm looking forward to seeing her painted.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2019, 03:58:32 PM »
Nice job Jason. Looks like a very small amount of tweaking will get it running really smoothly. Looking forward to seeing video of it when it is all painted up. Satin black finish would look good, perhaps with some gold lining to set it off.
Ray

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
Looks fantastic to me. Lovely result!!

Bill

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
That's a great result Jason, I have watched the video several times. Your skill has resulted in an attractive engine that
 inspires me to blow the dust off my own IF Allman castings and get started. I hope you will add further videos of the engine when it has been fine tuned and bedded in.

Andy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
Thanks for all the comment, I will certainly post finished photos and a Video.

I'll also start doing a more detailed account of making the engine in the next few days as well as getting out some further drawings.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2019, 05:40:15 PM »
Rather than get teh build thread out of sequence here are a few shots taken last weekend, there are a few more detailed ones which will go at the end of that thread. Hoped to also post a video but found the reason my hot tube was only getting luke warm was an empty propane bottle so you will have to wait a few more days for that.

I went with a simple satin black finish and no over polishing of the remaining bare metal which is either off the tool or 150g emery.

Think I like this one the most

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2019, 07:23:31 PM »
Hi Jason, that is superb. Like you I particularly like the black and white picture, how about sepia?

Andy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2019, 07:27:19 PM »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2019, 07:38:52 PM »
Or this

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2019, 08:05:21 PM »
Nice....

There might be a few older viewers that may remember some of my very early advertising material?   ;)

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »
I must be too young for that ;)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »
Time to  :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :whoohoo: :cheers:

With a new cylinder of propane it took a while to find the sweet spot. First of all it had a tendency to fire too soon which I put down to too high compression. Now I may only have a green dragon machine that some say won't turn concentrically and only have a cheap brake cylinder hone not a smelly proper machine yet with just one vitron ring fitted I was getting very good compression infact almost too much which resulted on it firing every 3 or 4 cycles and petering out usually ending in a backfire that sent it violently into reverse before stopping.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zza76-BFc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zza76-BFc</a>

Then I had a  :noidea: moment and remembered that when building the engine I had found that there was less compression when the primary exhaust was open as  the piston does not cover it until part way towards the head so took out the plug and gave it a try. Certainly ran with a loud pop and threw out a few large flames at crotch height. However it still did not fire on every stroke and seemed weak and would again slowly die but at least there was no backfire.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMGemD1H-yQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMGemD1H-yQ</a>

Finally found the sweet spot with the primary exhaust plug left slightly loose which acted a bit like a decompression valve and away it went. Looks like I got my hole in the right place and look forward to making some of the easier Alyn Foundry offerings :LittleDevil: It's always nice when you can choose when to stop an engine rather than snip the video short just before it comes to a halt by itself and just show that its not what you have in the workshop that matters but what you do with it and subsequently comes out the door ;).

Another big thank you to Graham for making the patterns available again and for the help and encouragement along the way.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmyksPR3Kr4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmyksPR3Kr4</a>

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
Well Jason....

The third video says it all, doesn't it?

Truly spectacular!! Well done.

If I'm correct that's number 4 runner. I built the first closely followed by Mike Rodgers of Nantwich and the third was built by Jim Cheshire. Jim was an avid fan of Alyn Foundry products and had built just about everything we had offered.

Your engine will take time to bed in properly and become much easier to start. I noticed you weren't overdoing the lubrication, it's a wise idea. Being an inverted vertical the cylinder head can fill with unburnt oil and change the compression pressure over time. The Robinson " X " type has the same problem as oil seems to pool just at the end of the cylinder liner.

For me the only downside was the quality of the castings, but that's another story.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
What do you mean easier to start? I went into the workshop first thing today, turned on the gas and let it warm up to a nice red glow which took abut 60secs and it was off and running on the second pull of the flywheel :)

Castings were beyond your usual control but did add a bit of "interest" to the build process.

There is another one that is being progressed, I've seen the photos ;)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2019, 05:10:11 PM »
Oh good, does that mean we have a completed set of updated drawings then  :???:

... and just show that its not what you have in the workshop that matters but what you do with it and subsequently comes out the door ;).

We all have to start some where but it is nice to be in the financial position to be able to own quality tools  :ThumbsUp: I feel sorry for the youngsters who have no prospect of buying their own home so can't look forward to having their own workshop that they can make model engines  :'( . I know that there are many who have no choice but to live with their parents in their parent's house :toilet_claw: at least they have the possibility of having a workshop   :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal