Author Topic: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.  (Read 24117 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
Are they soft yet?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2018, 08:41:50 AM »
The one I have been allowed to clean up (Eccentric strap) seems to not have any hard spots. But it looks as if I have to go and clear another mole hill while Surus conducts his inspection and decides if he will let me have another to clean up  ::)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
My strap did not have any hard spots, it was hardish right through :-[. managed the hole and sides with carbide, cleaned up the outside with dremel but drilling and tapping was not ideal.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2018, 11:16:23 AM »
Good morning.

It saddens me to read of your exploits to date..

It would appear that the " art " of the " foundryman " is being lost with the newer generation.

Jo, might you be able to produce some rings from the defective cylinder liner that was " blown " ? Regarding the " Brasses " I'm in the throws of getting some replacements, I do however have a pair that were cast some 18 years ago if you need them sooner?

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
Thanks Graham, but between Surus who is rationing his  ::) castings and Jason who is still developing his drawings I won't be starting this engine any time soon  :( Must get back to moving my mole hill  :toilet_claw:

Jo
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:49:23 AM by Jo »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »
Jo
Don’t make a mountain out of it  :stir:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
As I said early on in the thread I am reluctant to start issuing drawings for an engine that is not yet running. Far better to wait until it is complete and then you can make your parts without the possible need to alter or modify them at a later date.

At the worst it will be early new year that I hope to have it complete by and going by previous progress project F should only take a week or two of normal working time, even less as I'll have time off over Xmas/new year so can get on at the rate of a retired person plus I don't have a mole problem to distract me.

You could always lead the way with the Sphinx Jo, but maybe better to get that RLE completed first.

Everything made is drawn and assembled but could need tweaking as other parts are made to fit, more parts are drawn and awaiting making.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
One monster Mole Mountain later and I was allowed two castings  ;D (they were tactfully positioned on Surus' Xmas list that mentioned he is still waiting for the castings for that other model engine Vince designed  ::) ) The cylinder head is soft but the hot tube was still a little tough in places but nothing that the belt sander couldn't sort out.

I am not looking for the drawings but some discussion of the design/dimensions: crankshaft diameter, bore and stroke... And some better photos. For instance the original engine had two piston rings 1/4 and 3/4 way down the piston - did you do this or go for a more conventional piston ring arrangement ?  We have already seen you like moving away from the patent with your marine engine con rod.

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »
Hi Jo.

I've just re read the thread and apologise for not providing those " vital " statistics.

The bore and stroke is 1,1/2" bore and 2" stroke. The crankshaft diameter is 1/2" .

What would you like me to photograph for you? Don't forget that Andy took several photos and a short video a few pages back.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
I said what bore I was using in post 31. I mentioned crankshaft diameter way back in post 19 :facepalm: Though given what the liner castings are like you would be better off seeing what bore you can actually get out of the casting rather than machining the piston first, always best practice to do the hole before the part that fits into it where possible.

If you care to re read one of my posts yesterday you will see I have used 3 rings If the ring were placed as high up as in the patent it would come out the top of the cylinder and you don't really want that.

I did not get a hot tube casting, are you getting mixed up with the Chimney :Doh: hot tube will be machined from solid as it was for the X-Type, chimney casting probably won't get used.

I'm sure you know where I put all my photos and are able to view them, my intention was to write up the construction with the full set of photos once the engine was running so I can cover each part in detail and in order rather than keep jumping back and forth as a bit more is done to each part. This is the way I have written up all my other builds and I find it best suits the ones that are my own design or scratch built versions of older designs.  There are 98 photos to date and all will be placed within the text to make following the build easier and more interesting.

As for deviating from the patent, do I throw away the castings that I have got and remake to more closely follow what is on the patent? and even then do I use the top view or the bottom one as there are quite a few differences between the two. take the base casting, shown flat topped on the patent but Graham has cast in raised platforms as would most likely have been done in real practice, should I machine them all off or just scrap the casting and start with some plate?  I also think the A frame platforms place them too close together when scaling from the patent but have stuck with what is cast and had to carry this through the rest of the construction.

I have also mentioned several items where I have deviated from Grahams model to more closely follow the patent but at the same time would like to make an engine that runs, I know you don't seem bothered about having them run or even finished before moving on to the next, maybe when you have got a 4-stroke that runs you will better understand than just making static display models.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:13:05 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
Thank you Graham  :) for some reason the Broad sheet I have does not have those dimensions on it. The broadsheet Jason has must be a different one  :headscratch:

I can report that all the heat treated castings are file-able and no hard spots were found :ThumbsUp: As a reward I have been allowed to do the same to some Sphinx castings tonight  :cartwheel:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »
I was getting mixed up with the Sphinx broadsheet but have edited my reply noting where I said what bore I was using, think the stroke may be mentioned somewhere too or could just have talked that over with Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
Good evening All.

I have to admit that at the time I rushed things a little with this model. It took me 5 weeks from start to finish. I feel Jason has added some nice touches like the raised pads for the rocker and governor arm rods.
Obviously I had no idea where these were going to be until construction was well underway. Once drawn and fully dimensioned I could add these " little extras " to the master patterns.

Another feature that Jason has added is the provision of " tank " cooling however my engine will run all day with what's around the cylinder.

Jason, I'm not quite with your statement about the hot tube chimney, are you going to try to run without it? It'll probably work indoors but you won't have a " cat in hell's chance " outside.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
Graham, chatting with Andy early on we felt that the casting was a smaller diameter then the one shown on the Alyn website and it also looks smaller than the wired on one when you recently ran the engine. My plan is to make from stainless steel, silver soldering on a bracket to the base to mount it properly and turning the small roll on the top to match the stainless exhaust stack already made. It is also hard :(

Again we can't stick to the patent for the size of the chimney as the one shown is much smaller which is OK as they have the hot tube at what on the model would be  less than 1/16" diameter, I'll leave it to Jo to drill a 2" long hole up the middle of that ;)

I'm hoping I have those additional base mounting points in the right place, that's one reason for not giving out drawings as I may find they need moving.

Given the issues with the castings I wonder if any future editions could do without the cast base, with my drawing it would not be hard to thicken up a 1/2" steel plate with a few bits of 3mm material. I don't think it would be easy to omit the raised pads as there is little clearance under some of the parts such as inlet valve and gas valve given the size of the other casting which dictate their height.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:29:34 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
Hi Jason.

Ok, I now understand what you were getting at. I've just been out and got both the pattern and my chimney from the engine. They're a match.

The temporary fix using wire was done at the Anson due to the 6 BA bolt shearing off from the support pillar.

Regarding foundry " issues " well I'm confident that the new one that ran the batch of Robinson hot air engine castings and their obvious " pedigree " Alyn Foundry's rather presently shaky reputation will be solidly bolstered.

Cheers Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal