Author Topic: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.  (Read 10573 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
Hi Jason.

From my experience the higher up the tube the " hot spot " is, the more retarded is the timing. But as you pointed out and from the video, I can see that the tube was barely hot enough. I like to see a bright Red towards Orange colour.

I can't remember if I sealed the valve stem but it shouldn't leak heavily if you have the supply side on the head of the valve.

It's nice to see the fourth engine in the line running so well but I do think the ignition is slightly retarded. Like you I have a single HP gas feed but did the same as my Gardner and Robinson and put a fine hole restrictor over the inlet pipe to the gas control ( throttle ) valve.

I'm looking forward to seeing her painted.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2019, 03:58:32 PM »
Nice job Jason. Looks like a very small amount of tweaking will get it running really smoothly. Looking forward to seeing video of it when it is all painted up. Satin black finish would look good, perhaps with some gold lining to set it off.
Ray

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
Looks fantastic to me. Lovely result!!

Bill

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
That's a great result Jason, I have watched the video several times. Your skill has resulted in an attractive engine that
 inspires me to blow the dust off my own IF Allman castings and get started. I hope you will add further videos of the engine when it has been fine tuned and bedded in.

Andy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
Thanks for all the comment, I will certainly post finished photos and a Video.

I'll also start doing a more detailed account of making the engine in the next few days as well as getting out some further drawings.