Author Topic: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.  (Read 24104 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: The Alyn Foundry IF Allman engine.
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2019, 10:36:34 AM »
Thanks for the interest Dave. The actual part that does the burning is the ting that I showed in the previous post but a small Sievert 8842 burner is used for it's jet and air mixing, Graham looks to have pressed the stainless steel end into a larger diameter piece of tube on his engine but I wanted to keep mine a a bit slimmer and neater.

The part I was threading above replaces the Stainless one and screws onto the mid section of the Sievert burner with a M10 x 0.75 thread which is what I was cutting, the other end of that part has a 1/8" BSP similar to your NPT male thread on the other end to go into an elbow which you can see below.

On the Robinson that just had the unaltered Sievert burner aimed straight at the hot tube I had problems getting it hot enough, don't think that will be the case this time :) Though I am having to block off most of the air holes with my finger to stop the flame blowing off the ring burner.

I have just cured the air issue by turning down the mid section and pressing on a sleeve that just has two 1/32" holes and that seems to work well. Next job is to make an adaptor so I can get from my new valve to the back of the Sievert burner, more 0.75mm pitch threads

J

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2019, 10:55:13 AM »
I like that burner for the hot tube  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will need something similar for the Saurer Phaeton engine  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2019, 06:52:05 PM »
Needles and hand wheels made together with a D pit to cut the tapered seats

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »
Despite other distractions I did manage a bit more on this one over the weelend.

First the insides of the two valves were machined and then all the bits could be silver soldered together before finally drilling the connecting passages. I also opted to add a small boss to the base, a spot faced surface may do for others but the surface of my casting was not ideal in this area.

With the valve in place pipework could be finalised and the nipples soldered on for a trial fit.

Another job that needed doing was making and locating a bracket for the drip feed oiler and making up a small run of pipework.

Hopefully there should not be anymore work to the base and A frame castings needed now so those working drawings can be completed.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »
I spent most of the weekend workshop time on this engine as I wanted to get it finished ready for taking out next weekend. The jobs included

Plug for the primary exhaust as the engine makes better compression and has a longer power stroke with it blanked off.

Guide bracket for the governor rod, there looks to be something similar on the patent drawing.

Finish off the governor weights and some pins for the spring

Also made the last few studs and some oil cups and shaft keys to complete the engine. Doubt it will get test run for a week or two but fingers crossed it will go, compression is quite good even without rings or gaskets.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2019, 05:16:55 PM »
Looks great Jason!

Dave

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2019, 07:23:33 PM »
Bravo !   :ThumbsUp:

Andy
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:29:13 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »
Looks great, can't wait to see it running  :)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2019, 10:40:58 PM »
Looks great Jason. I’ll bet a pint it’ll run as well as it looks

Cletus

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2019, 11:19:33 PM »
'Bloody Hell' Jason I really don't know how I've missed this one - well done indeed on yet another 'Jason Masterpiece' - I really don't know how you keep the pace up.

Looking forwards to seeing in it all it's coloured glory - nice red maybe?? ;)  no, a joke I assure you  :D

Great, great work as usual  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Excuse the opening 'expletive' but they're only words I can find suitable

My best - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2019, 05:37:10 AM »
Hi Jason, very impressive. This engine has so much interesting details. Waiting for the first pops.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2019, 07:11:16 AM »
Thanks for the comments, it's been an interesting one to do particularly as there were no drawings and some of the castings had their own challenges.

I don't think red would suit this one, quite tempted to go with satin black as that looks good on the early engines but a dark satin grey could also be on the cards.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »
After a no go yesterday which was abandoned while I still had some eyebrows first job this morning was to rectify a couple of gas leaks and fiddle with the running gas valve which was not quite shutting off I had another go today. Got some promising pops and quite a few backfires but things are looking promising and I think it is just finding the sweet spot with the gas valve that is stopping me getting more than 4 or 5 fires in a row.

Will try again tomorrow morning before the shed gets too hot for flicking over flywheels.

J

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
Jason.

Near the top of this page you posted some photographs of the gas ring in action.

It looks to me like the hot spot might be a little too high up the ignition tube. Retarding slightly.

You have two options, reduce the gas pressure to get the hot spot lower or open up the internal diameter of the ignition tube by 1/64" . You could check this by using a small hand held burner to find the " sweet " spot.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »
Thanks Graham, I have played with the height of the burner a bit as I made it so it can slide up and down the tube. I know you mentioned it somewhere in the Robinson thread but which way does the hot area need to go to retard the ignition so that it won't backfire quiet so often?

Now it is on the engine the tube does not get so hot, could be that I was testing it on my torch handle which has a 4bar regulator but have been running with a 2bar regulator. I wonder if another option would be a split supply from the gas bottle with a 2bar reg to the burner and a low 37mb one for the actual engines fuel supply?

On other question, on the gas regulator valve did you have an form of seal on the small plunger at the bottom as I was getting a small gas leak from there? I have disabled the governor for now as it got a bit hairy with flames coming out of the valve whenever the engine came to a standstill :smokin2:

I had a bit more of a fiddle this morning and am certainly getting closer, it does not fire on every cycle and runs more like it has a built in hit & miss governor but the tendency for it to backfire as it comes to a standstill seems to have gone. I think this is close enough for me to now strip and paint it and then any small tweaks to the gas supply and burner can be done after it goes back together. Should be OK for Andy to start cutting metal now as I don't think any of the major items will change from what is on the drawings already sent out.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX3lqiK_kV8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX3lqiK_kV8</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal