Author Topic: It's as simple as ABC or XYZ  (Read 4198 times)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: It's as simple as ABC or XYZ
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
Mike

I had a look at Linux CNC but at the time I could not find a way to get all the io that I needed , go on tell me it would have been possible ( no don’t  go enough cash in the project )

But what I have runs fine now I have removed all the phone home , cortina , auto updates and gave it insomnia it runs ok , and removed the WiFi  :zap:

OK, Stuart,  I won't tell you that the basic LinuxCNC configuration has one 25 pin paraport, therefore 12 output pins and 5 input pins. LinuxCNC is very flexible and you can add a second (perhaps a third) 25 pin paraport to further extend the I/O.

LinuxCNC and Mach are very configurable and very similar in many ways, despite their different operating systems. Mach has a much wider user base and help may be more readily available. The important thing is to cut out all the crap, so they do what YOU want, all day and everyday.

Let's go and make some chips

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »
thanks mike
make chips  :stir: yesterday emptied the shop about a 5 gallon drum full so I must have done some

or to corrupt a Scottish saying "lang may yer Lum reek and the chip pan be full "
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
Mike,

A steep learning curve is what I expected  ::) I use 2D CAD (DraftSight) already but have not looked at CAM systems. While I am experimenting with single cylinder engines and fuel injection I don't feel that CNC would bring many benefits but moving on to multi cylinder engines I can see the advantages (like all the parts for your radial engine  :) )
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »
Hello Roger,

If you are already a strong 2D CAD user you are halfway there. You export parts of you 2D drawing as a DXF file into CamBam and it creates the g-code that moves the mill table around.

CNC can be used in both automatic mode and manual mode. The automatic mode follows a predefined toolpath. The manual mode is very useful for prototyping and for one offs. You have infinitely variable power feed rates on all axes, you can make precise and repeatable movements, in any axis, to a repeatable precision of 1/4 thou (6 micron) or better. You can also create precise tapers at any angle. I use the manual mode frequently.

If you made the bold step with the Proxxon, it would become a perfect, high precision, machine to help you with your fuel injection adventures.

Cheers :cheers:

Mike

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
OK, I can buy and fit one of these which seems to connect to a parallel port (which I don't have on my netbook) and has Linux CNC software.

https://gocnc.de/shop/en/cnc-router/385/proxxon-mf-70-cnc-custom-kit

I can add another magic box which gives me USB connectivity and some form of control software.

https://gocnc.de/shop/en/cnc-acessories/cnc-software/272/cnc-studio?number=SW10014

And then start playing/learning?
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »
Hello Roger

The Gocnc looks to be a nice neat conversation for the Proxxon mini mill. I notice they do not replace the lead screws with ball screw, so you will have more backlash than a purpose built CNC machine.

The LinuxCNC is a free download which runs under Linux (Unix) not Windoze. Beware!!! The LinuxCNC download will erase and overwrite any existing operating system.

Rather than buy the Gocnc usb interface adapter with it's unknown software. it would be better (and cheaper) to buy an old, second hand, PC or laptop with a parallel port and load the LinuxCNC onto that. You would then have an unmolested netbook and a dedicated LinuxCNC machine.

I can lead you through the process if you decide to go CNC  :zap: :zap:

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal