Author Topic: governors  (Read 40818 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: governors
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 01:40:45 AM »
Jo, I had posted earlier on this thread, but it seemed to have disappeared. I wanted to thank you for your very informative thread. I enjoyed you class room and have learned plenty. You thread is always here for us to reference to. I do hope as Jason has said, whenever you have time to show us how to build the bevel gears associated with the governors.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »
Cutting bevel gears is "easy" ;), making the right shaped cutter to do the cutting is where the challenge is.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
 :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

I have just rescaled from my photo's the bevel dimensions and the gear for the 1/6th scale engine needs to be slightly larger than I thought, the one I need has a 17.5mm OPD so I can get way with a No 4 32 DP cutter.

Whilst I have it set up I may as well cut the ones for the Armstrong as they are the same size ;D. I think I already have the required cutter in my collection :whoohoo:

Jo
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:59:02 PM by Jo »

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
It is always good when you already have the correct tool.

I am looking forward to the bevel gear cutting write up. :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2012, 11:36:17 PM »
I am glued here to Jo. I find it very interesting.

Don

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2012, 01:25:55 AM »
As do I Jo. Let it rip we have popcorn and seats
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2012, 04:34:49 PM »
Bevels. The only difficult thing about bevels is the maths :ShakeHead:  in the end I found what I needed to cut the bevels for the 1/6th S&T. (I suggest you put the equations in a spreadsheet and let that do the calculations for you. :naughty:) These are 45 degree straight cut bevels, also known as mitre bevels which simplifies the maths for us. I need 16 tooth bevels, of 32 DP.

Face angle = pitch angle = cutting angle = 45 deg.

Inner pitch diameter  = no teeth / DP of the cutter = 12.7
Outer pitch diameter = 1.4* inner pitch diameter = 17.8
Inner cone length = Inner PD * (2 * Sin Pitch angle) = 8.9
Face length = 0.35 * inner cone length = 3.144
Blank diameter = Outer PD + (2 cos pitch angle / DP of cutter)

Cutter number for pinion = (no teeth in pinion * 1.25) / COS pitch angle = 28 teeth

Did you notice the number of teeth we have calculated is different than the number of teeth we will have in the gear! 28 teeth means a number 4 cutter profile, which I have.

Cutter offset = 3.142 / (4 * DP of cutter) = 0.623

Next job we need to think about the dividing head we are going to use, the one I used for this has a 40:1 ratio worm. What I need is to be able to divide by 16 teeth * 4 = 64, so looking through the dividing plates I found one with 16 holes that will give me a division of 640. So divide by 64 = 10 holes, divide by 16 = 40 holes. The sector arms were set for 10 holes.

We are ready, so first job cut two lengths of bar that will fit in the dividing head and cut the profile

Ok off to the mill, I have set the dividing head up at 45 degrees, lined up the centre of the correct cutter with the blank and we are ready to take our first cut:

First job setting the tooth depth, this is easy take the cutter up to the blank until it just touches, zero the DRO and wind in the depth of the tooth. It is now a simple job of winding the y axis in and out, moving the dividing head around 40 holes and making the next cut? What you end up with is this:

Now comes the important bit, we are now going to move the dividing head back 10 holes which is a quarter of a tooth width and we are going to change the height of the cutting head by our calculated cutter offset 8).

The offset must be applied in the same direction that the bevel has just rotated. And we take a second cut all around.

We then reverse the offset so that we are taking a third series of cuts but on the other face of the tooth to that which we just did. For this I rotated the dividing head by 20 teeth and offset the head the 0.63mm in the other direction. To avoid getting confused with my counting I have taken to marking up the holes that the pin should end up on on the dividing head with marker:

An aching arm later and I have cut the first pair of bevels:

So now back to the lathe to cut the rear 45 degrees and to part off:

So two bevels, you may note I have a third cut, this shows the problem with straight cut bevels you are limited to how much you can cut towards the centre before you start cutting into the adjacent tooth:

So a pair of Bevels as promised:

My arm is telling me no more today ;).

Jo
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:53:27 PM by Jo »

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
Jo,
Very nice write up on the bevel gears. :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:

The only thing I would like to add is the method that was used is known as the parallel depth method also sometimes known as the uniform height tooth method.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »
Jo! Thanks for the gear class,  :NotWorthy: but I think I am still confused.  :headscratch: I will have to reread Ivan Laws book on Bevel gears. :happyreader:  Last week I ordered the book Gear Design Simplified just to cover all my bases. I would say that the cutting angle is what I just can"t get a hold of. If you cut the Bevel at 45 degress and aligned your cutter for 45 degrees would not the slot in the gear be the same depth along its length, looking at your gear they don't seem to be? Mybe its the photo angle. :headscratch:

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
You are right Don these are parallel cut bevels so they are the same depth for their entire length ;).

I had been working from Ivan's book but got confused trying to find the tooth depth and the offset distance. So ended up finding an article in ME that gave these measurements.

Jo

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
Don,
It is an optical illusion. The photo of the gear in the lathe is cutting the back cone which is usually 900 to the face of the gear.

The small end of the gear is not cut 900 to the face of the gear so that throws off the eye.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jo, and thanks Dan I had thought it might have been. I am still trying to grasp this. I read read Ivan Laws book on Bevel gears but that part is a little vague and does not cover very much formula wish. Just angles and layout. I need formulas to do a spread sheet with.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
If someone can explain how to attach an excel spread sheet to the forum I would happily make my noddy one available ;).

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »
If you cut the Bevel at 45 degress and aligned your cutter for 45 degrees would not the slot in the gear be the same depth along its length, looking at your gear they don't seem to be? Mybe its the photo angle. :headscratch:

Don

Don the slot cut by the cutter will indeed be the same depth and width along the whole face of the gear BUT the bit left between the cuts will get wider the further it is from the centre so won't fit in the matching slot in the other gear that is why the slot needs to be made wider the further it is fron ctr. If taht doe snot make sense I'll sketch it out.

J

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
Jason I understand that the tooth width gets bigger from center. Is the slot cut bigger from the center or is it the same width as the spur gear cut?
Jo, you should be able to attached by the attachment be low the reply.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal