Author Topic: governors  (Read 40980 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: governors
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 04:33:41 PM »
Nice way to make the links Jo. :ThumbsUp:

I see that you made enough stock to make extras.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
Thanks Dan,

I try to make extras of these little pieces as they are so easy to drop on the floor. Once there often the workshop gnome gets there first and hides them  from me :-\.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
Jo, I just never though of cutting the links out of solid stock like you did.   :slap: I would of found thin metal and cut them from that. Your way is better in that if you mess up just slice another one all shaped up and holes drilled. Great stuff to follow here. By the way this might be second nature to most of you, but hey when you don't know you don't know.  :happyreader:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
I would of found thin metal and cut them from that.

That is the way I have always seen it done before but when it came to my Lady S I knew that if I was going to stay  sane keep my patience I needed to find a different way ;) and it worked ;D.

By the way this might be second nature to most of you, but hey when you don't know you don't know.  :happyreader:

Hey I have no formal training (I do not count 2 days lathe & milling training during my apprenticeship), I make it up as I go along using the tools to hand. Not knowing how you should do something means that the possibilities, for success  :D as well as failure >:(, are endless.

Thanks for staying with us.

Jo

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: Very instructive Jo - I've also been sitting glued to the seat following along.

A quick question - do you also use the slitting saw to slit off the pieces to _just_ before they are fully separated from the parent stock and then just break them off at the burr ?

Paint...  I knew there was something I forgot to get from the shops today  :facepalm2:

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »
A quick question - do you also use the slitting saw to slit off the pieces to _just_ before they are fully separated from the parent stock and then just break them off at the burr ?

The slitting saw's action is fairly slow so you can wait for the piece to gently rise from the parent metal and know when it is about to part. At which point I stop, lift of the piece and and give the burr, which you will get either way, it a little rub with a needle file.

Jo

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
Great stuff Jo, and thanks for the info on the ball turners - seems more versatile than the other sort I'd seen then.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 05:25:43 AM »
Jason had said that he would post a picture of his butterfly valve here but it hasn't showed up yet so I hope this is a gentle reminder.  I think that a butterfly valve is a good choice for a throttle valve controlled by a governor because it is balanced in the air stream and has much less friction than the barrel type and this is very important if you hope to get any real control with a small scale governor.  I have heard people avoid them because most designs require you to fit the plate to the shaft while it is inside the valve body and the difficulty of access and the insecurity of the resulting assembly is a concern.  I have been thinking about the problem and it seems to me that an easy way to build a butterfly valve is to make the valve body a two piece assembly, split at the shaft location.  The shaft and plate can be assembled in the light of day, with good access for adhesive or solder and the installed between the body halves which can the be bolted together.

Here is a sketch of my idea that should be easier to understand than my description.  It is only a concept sketch and the style can be altered in lots of different ways to suit your design.  Is this original or have I just forgotten where it came from?

The attachment is a 3D PDF which you can rotate.  You have to click on the "Activate" button in the upper right to do this.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
OK, I can take the hint ;)

Its been a few years since this part saw the light of day and the duster for that matter.

This is a general view of the regulator casting that bolts onto the valve chest and the steam entry flange.

As Jerry's drawing shows the has a slot down its length, the angled slice off the rod fits into the slot and is held in place with a 1/32" rivit in this case though a small screw may also work.

Closed

Open

Sorry I can't take the butterfly out as its rivited but Jerrys sketch shows whats going on.

J

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »
Thanks for posting, Jason! It's useful to finally see inside of of these. I have a feeling we might need a new thread on valves soon.

Simon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »
Last part for the governors: the pivots. These are simple male and female pins which press together. For the larger engine the females have a 2.4mm shank, with a 1.6mm hole drilled part way through it, the smaller engine has 1.6mm shanks with 1.0mm hole drilled part way through it. Normal rules apply drill the hole then turn the shank to avoid the shank becoming over sized when you drill it. Be careful when you finish the heads because the smaller pins only have 0.2mm thick walls and can be easily crushed. 

The pins should be a press fit but there is nothing wrong with some insurance some superglue or loctite just be careful where it goes. So finally assembled we have two governors:

Mounting on the larger engine?s base it I would say the governor looks ok.

For information:I will be doing one of the longer links that goes to the throttle valve on my Double Tandem Compound thread  8) so I did not intend on repeating it here.

Hope there was something of use in this thread. ;)

Jo

chuck foster

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
Hope there was something of use in this thread. ;)

Jo

jo you are one person who NEVER has to hope about their thread being of use !!!! every thing i have read from you is always a great read and to that i say THANK YOU  :cheers:

chuck

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2012, 05:55:19 PM »
Very nice thread Jo. Now if you could just add the Bevel Gear cutting your job here will be complete ;)

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
Sadly I have to go back to work tomorrow :ShakeHead: . So it may be a while :-\

Jo

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
Thank you Jo  :praise2:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal