Author Topic: governors  (Read 40892 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: governors
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
My drawings are copyright Hemingway 1993 but I believe that almost identical drawings are available from all over.

---------------

Last night I realised I had made a mistake :cussing: the two holes on each link need to be on the same side so first thing this morning I set about correcting them. First I turned four steel plugs the size of the offending holes:

I then silver soldered them in:

They clean up quiet well:

I then proceeded to mill the slots in the larger link. Before taking it to my Hobbymat lathe and milling parallel sections where the tapers will be on both links:

One of my complaints about the hobbymat is that the tool post and cross slide gets in the way when I want to support anything from the tailstock. So I proceeded inside to use the Cowell?s to turn the tapers on the smaller link:

The taper has been hand formed I simply cut the two end diameters, then manually made a number of steps and merged them using a needle file.

I then returned to the hobbymat and set over the top slide and turned the tapers on the larger pair of links:

Next job turn the centres of the two links the correct diameter to fit in the weights:

Now for a bit of filing. I thought you might find my ?fiddly bit vice? interesting. I made this up out of a locking ball join clamp with a toolmakers vice mounted in the socket. The result is a vice that can hold small bits in any orientation you may ever need.

The links are very fragile once the ends are broken so it is important to put a packing piece between the arms when you file or nasty things will happen:

Before filing the larger link it was necessary to bring the 6.35mm square down to a 4.7mm by 6.35 section on the end balls, 4.0 by 6.35 on the arms and 4.7 by 4.7 where the central pivots are:

So tonight two links still together:

And just to check they fit.

I still need to make the pivots, drill the weights and make the last two pairs of links.

-------------

That is it for today, this evening I am off to my Model Engineering Society to see if they are going to run a Rally next year.

Jo
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:31:12 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
If you're in the USA it may be simpler to just buy carbon steel balls from Enco.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=804&PMITEM=240-2435

Sizes from 1/8 to one inch.  As you can see, they have them in stainless as well.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
 :disappointed: Not much to report today??I had to go  :paranoia: shopping.

I did manage a few minutes so I mounted the weights to the end of the drop links. The drilling was achieved by means of making a drilling guide that fitted over the weight?s collar. This was then used to align the weight for drilling by sticking the drill in the guide and making sure it was vertical. The weights were protected from damage by the vice using some off cuts of a soft drink can ;).

The links were then split and the tangs shortened as required. Finally the balls have been attached with some very strong loctite.

Jo
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:09:53 PM by Jo »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »
Awesome Jo, I like the way you make it all look so easy. I guess once you have done it some, it becomes second nature. I have an IC project that will require governor control and this is my class room till I get around to build it.  :praise2:

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
Thanks Don: I am pleased someone is still following along and finding it useful.

Next job is those thin links. I have been having a little rethink and am going to try a different way than normal ;)

Jo

fcheslop

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
Sorry for not speaking up I'm kinda shy Definitely watching and learning :ThumbsUp:

Online Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
Thanks Don: I am pleased someone is still following along and finding it useful.

Jo

You are doing good work, Jo.  Lots of people watching.  I was watching to see how you were going to get the barrel shaped pivot at the mid point on those arms. Oh, like that! Note taken. 

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:25 AM »
Oh I'm writing it down as it comes Jo.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 03:13:25 AM »
I'm another someone!
I've been reading every post.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 03:36:28 AM »
and me too  :D Learning quite a lot from this.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »
Yep, I'm reading every one! Keep going, Jo!

Simon

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »
You've got my attention  :ThumbsUp: ................(difficult to write when your reading :Jester: )

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline ProdEng

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
I am watching and learning :)  Looking at the end product I would have tried an improbable method but now know better :ThumbsUp:
Jan in Perth

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
The spindly links ;D, I started off this thread by mentioning that we were going to do them enblock, this is how. These are our links:

We start with two blocks their top surface must be larger than the size of the link and we co-coordinate drill for the link holes:

We now mill the two flats on either side of our block for the shaft of the link:

Which gives us these:

Now using a slitting saw we cut slices the thickness of our link ;):

Giving us lots of links, these are then rubbed on emery to get rid of the cutting marks.

We now knock up some filing buttons. For the larger links I files the ends in pairs, for the thin ones I did all four at once:

This gives us these ;D:

Next job is the pivots, then I will show you what they look like once they are put together. Then the job takes a turn for the worse.. painting :paranoia:

Jo

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:06:28 PM by Jo »

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
I too am following along.  Originally I pulled up a chair, but had to get up for a minute.  When I got back Zee was sitting there.  I will just sit on the floor taking notes :)

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal