Author Topic: New Member San Antonio, Texas USA  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Ozzietx

New Member San Antonio, Texas USA
« on: August 19, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »
Hello,
I just joined and am hopeful, and happy to be here.
I have long had a desire to build operating IC model engines.
I have been flying RC airplanes, and helicopters for over 40 years. Most of the airplanes I have flown have been scratch built.
My long term goal will be to build a 1/4 scale Anzani 3 cylinder to power a 1/4 scale Bleriot.

I am starting with very little knowledge, and minimal skills, and plan on a journey of learning.

I have a basic understanding of IC engines, and have a background in the automotive industry. I have worked on hot rods for pleasure,
and some for work since the 1980s.

I am currently working on building a full sized Pietenpol airplane from scratch. I will be assembling a flight engine from a Corvair.

My current tools are a little limited.  I  have a Prazi miniature lathe with a milling attachment, and a few jaws. I have a 17" drill press, a metal cutting band saw, a shear, and a brake as well as various belt grinders.

I hope to start with a simple single cylinder 2 stroke engine, and build my tools, and skills from there.
I have looked at the Westbury Atom Minor Mk3.

I feel like I really need to gain an understanding of work holding, and process steps. I have done very limited machining.

I would love recommendations from the collective as where to start. I am sure I could really use some tutorials if there are recommended books, or videos.

Bryan

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: New Member San Antonio, Texas USA
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
Welcome Bryan,

You have found the right place. Everyone here will be more than willing to offer any help you might need. I am your neighbor to the East near the Texas and Louisiana border.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Ozzietx

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:36:50 PM »
Thomas,

Thanks for the welcome.
I used to fish Sam Rayburn with my father many years ago.
It was a beautiful lake with very nice bass if I remember correctly. Its' been about 30 years since I've been there.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »
Hi Bryan,
Welcome to the forum!
There's some good ideas in a section called "Outside Links and Suggestions."

There was also a thread somewhere (I thought it was in this sub-form) about various YouTube channels people watch for ideas and to learn, but I can't find that thread.  Many people think highly of "Clickspring" and his videos.  There are quite a few others that people have recommended, though I can come up with them off the top of my head.  I'm sure others will jump in with their ideas.

I found a set of intro videos from MIT which were very helpful to me - gave a good overview of various machines and how to use them safely.  They were quite basic, but it was a great intro for me into this big world of machining. Helped give me some confidence on how to start working with these machines.

Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:19:21 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Bryan. Plenty of help and advice here free for the asking so jump right in.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 01:45:02 AM »
Hi Bryan and welcome to the forum!

Don :hi:

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 06:54:13 AM »
Glad to meet you Bryan.  Welcome to the forum.

Regards,
Rudy

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I also use a Prazi (Hobbymat) combined lathe and mill.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal