Author Topic: Marcher, a twin cylinder marine steam engine  (Read 12071 times)

Offline Moxis

Re: Marcher, a twin cylinder marine steam engine
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »
Thank you Thomas, that was a really fast reply. I hardly had my update finished when I noticed your reply.

Offline Moxis

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »
Next update includes fabrication of eccentric straps with rods and the expansion links.

A common casting strip for all 4 eccentric straps is provided. First it was milled into correct thickness. After that all the straps were separated from each other with a slitting saw. Holes for connecting bolts were drilled, and the straps were divided into upper and lower parts again with slitting saw.

It was very difficult to find a correct datum for boring the holes for eccentric sheaves, and finally I decided to use pieces of self adhering paper where centrum lines were drawn to show this. Straps were attached into 4 jaw chuck and centred as accurately as possible, and boring made.

Eccentric rods were turned conical using 3 mm silver steel rod, M2 threads cut at both ends, and rods installed into straps with threads & epoxy glue.

Expansion links were made using 3 mm mild steel. First I thought to machine them in the milling machine using rotary table, but finally decided to saw them out using jeweler`s saw. Quite slow process and many broken saw blades, but finally also this task was completed.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
It was very difficult to find a correct datum for boring the holes for eccentric sheaves, and finally I decided to use pieces of self adhering paper where centrum lines were drawn to show this.

Yes it is very difficult to line up in the centre of the hole  :Doh: I like your use of the paper to fill it in.

I was trying to remember what I did on the Triple orphans I recalled there was zillions of straps to do  :facepalm: .. then I found a pic of using a stencil to draw on a circle so that I could see if the hole looked right, then checking again after I had got the centre hole round.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Moxis

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
Thanks Jo, that could have been also a very good method to find the right position to bore the hole.

Next a short update. Because I do not own a watchmaker`s lathe to make small screws, I had to find another way to fabricate the eccentric rod pins. First I tried to make them from 3 mm silver steel, but that didn`t work.  The needed thread is M2, and diameter of the cylindrical part is 2,5 mm, and then I should make the hexagonal bolt head, not possible with my skills and relatively big lathe.

After thinking hard to find a solution for this, I finally took a 12 mm long M2 bolt, screwed on it 5 pcs M2 nuts and attached that into 3 jaw lathe chuck. Then I turned the nuts into round 2,5 diameter nuts, and screwed those on another, shorter M2 bolt with hexagonal head. And finally secured those round nuts on the bolt with tiny drop of epoxy. And voila, I had the necessary threaded pins for eccentric rods. I have never seen anybody make the threaded pins like this, so this is why I publish this method. It might help some of you with equal problem.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »
The other option for those pins is to drill and tap the end M2 and screw in a bit of threaded stock, you get a thread all the way upto the shoulder. make the rest from hex stock if you have it or use larger round and hill the hex after turning the 2.5mm dia section.

Other option for the straps is to hot glue or superglue a bit of thin metal sheet to the face then you can scribe and punch the ctr position and use a spring ctr and dti to clock it in which is more accurate then a cross on a bit of paper or tape

Offline Moxis

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »
Thanks Jason for your comments. I agree that there must be several ways to make these pins, and I am sure that you more experienced guys have much better solutions for this. But because I am relatively new to the hobby and do not have long experience about machining, I have to find easy enough ways to do things.

And I am quite sure that your method of scribing and clocking the center for eccentric straps is way better than my humble method. But when making my first steam engine I have to find simple ways to make things and learn and learn again from you more experienced guys.

Offline Moxis

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2018, 06:00:11 AM »
A little bit filing sanding and polishing here and there, and finally the engine rotates and all parts are moving nicely.  I hope anyway that there is not too much slop in all the various joints to prevent easy running of the machine.

Offline Moxis

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »
The only thing that is still missing is the flywheel and plumbing. First I started to work with plumbing. That was rather easy, first I made the screw joints using
 fine metric threads with M5x0,5 tap and die. Those were silver soldered with parts of OD 4 mm copper tube. And very soon both inlet & outlet tubing was made.

The last thing was to turn the flywheel using gm casting provided for this. Nothing special with this too, and finally I had my first steam engine at least mechanically ready.

I inserted graphited yarn into the grooves of pistons & packings of piston and valve rods. This made the engine a bit difficult to rotate manually, but I hope it will still be able to run with compressed air, and later with steam, if we are very lucky.

I adjusted the timing so that valve eccentrics are about 100 degrees ahead of cranks, I really hope that this is enough so that there is no need to adjust them further.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »
It's a beauty  :praise2:

Are you planning on painting it leave it as is ?

Looking forward to see it run.

Offline Moxis

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
Thanks Admiral_dk!  First I thought to paint the unmachined surfaces of castings, but now I have changed my mind. So I will leave it as is.
I am also waiting with interest the first testing, what happens when compressed air is connected....

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2018, 12:11:49 PM »
Some engines need a coat of paint while others like yours are beautiful in natural metal.  Very nice work!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
Hello Moxis,

Boy what a beauty, looking forward to a video of it running.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
This one definitely calls out to be left natural in my opinion Moxis. Beautiful result and looking forward to seeing it run !!

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »
Really nice looking twin, Moxis!  I agree with your assessment - as everyone has been saying, it doesn't need a coat of paint!
Kim

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
Somehow missed or forgot to follow the interim since you introductory post.  Love the hull riveting, and the build of this engine is really nice.  Like others, can't wait to see some video of the engine running!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal