Author Topic: Elmer's 36 Reversing Wobbler - 2x - Imperial - Mike's 2nd engine  (Read 15627 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Re: Elmer's 36 Reversing Wobbler - 2x - Imperial - Mike's 2nd engine
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 03:00:18 PM »
Mike, what kinds of problems are you having with Fusion? I also like to draw up steam engines, I'm currently working on the C.W. Woodson vertical with reverse, from Popular Science in 1947. I have completed the Harry Wedge oscillator from Harris' book, "Model Stationary and Marine Steam Engines". I, also have issues with joints and animation, and had to get help with the Wedge.
I started learning Fusion to design things to 3d print, and have had great fun with that. I've been using Fusion for about 6 months.
I'm also drawing up a flyball governor based on the Pickering style governors, and hope to scale it for my engines.
Have you joined the Facebook groups for Fusion Users? Lots of help to be had there. You know you can share your design by right clicking the saved design in the data panel and choosing 'Share ublic Link. You have the option of allowing download or not, and password protecting the access to it. The option generates a url you can send to whoever.
For example, here's the flyball part of my governor: https://a360.co/2L1AC8D
Good luck with your design.
Chuck

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »
Chuck, I'll check out the Facebook group.  I've also found lots of good tips on the Autodesk Fusion 360 community forum. 

With respect to Fusion, I've figured out how to do things like insert screws or bolts into threaded holes and I've figured out how to do single joints to check alignment.  In fact, that's what i did to check the air/steam port alignment between the cylinder and the column.  That worked well and it wasn't too complicated once I understood the principal.  The problem I'm having is in trying to animate the entire engine, meaning that I want to rotate the crankshaft and have rest of the engine components follow that driving motion.  I suspect it's in the type of joint(s) i'm using in various places and/or that i don't understand something basic regarding animation.  I may at some point post my model to the Fusion 360 forum and ask for help there if I can't get it working in a few days or so.

Thanks.

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 04:32:54 PM »
Are you shure you're selecting the correct joint for the crankshaft? If you created a rigid joint  just before the crank joint, the default joint type will be rigid. You will have to select rotative. You can also animate the joint or animate the model from the right click menu on the joint. Also, if there is any interference between the parts in the joint,or the rest of the model, the joint will animate, but the model won't, and there is no indication as to why given...

toolznthings

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 01:05:48 AM »
Hi,
I've had good luck with this eBay seller, 6061dude. Most items are free shipping and the brass prices are resonable
IMO. No shipping charges saves the day.

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 02:16:14 AM »
Brian, I'll check that eBay supplier out.  So far all the brass I've found is expensive.

Thanks for the tip!

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »
Are you shure you're selecting the correct joint for the crankshaft? If you created a rigid joint  just before the crank joint, the default joint type will be rigid. You will have to select rotative. You can also animate the joint or animate the model from the right click menu on the joint. Also, if there is any interference between the parts in the joint,or the rest of the model, the joint will animate, but the model won't, and there is no indication as to why given...

I worked on the animation a bit last night.  My conclusion is that i need to study joint tutorials a lot more!  For instance, I THOUGHT I had created a 'Rigid Group' that included the piston, piston rod, and crosshead.  But when i tried to create a sliding joint of the piston within the cylinder, the 3 elements of the Rigid Group didn't move together.  Sooooo, more learning is required on my part!

Thanks.

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
Here's yesterday's work plus a couple of more drawings, those being the cylinder and related pivot rod and the flywheel and related crankshaft and crank pin. 

Cylinder and cylinder pivot rod drawing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ADo8L-8ppzZrZSessxlhYAwicIlTRQ9A/view?usp=sharing

Flywheel, crankshaft, crankshaft pivot pin drawing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NpFo80EgrRyXARk73xj3FAgKEpBh6SmN/view?usp=sharing

Fly cutting column to required thickness and to get a good finish.  Using the Tormach SuperFly cutter with AL specific insert:

Setting up the cylinder block in the vise and setting 0,0 and using the stop to be able to flip the stock over to cut the other side.  Note my very exact layout on the block!

Cylinder milled to exact size and ready to drill, tap, and bore:

And finally, the most used tool in my shop:

I'm working on the drawing for the column and it's taking me some time as there are a LOT of holes that have to intersect so I want to make sure the drawing is clear enough.  The model is correct (at least as far as i can tell) but creating a clear drawing is a bit of a trick. 

Hopefully this entry is now correct.  If someone could please now check if you can see all 4 of the pix i've embedded in this post and can access the 2 PDF drawings, i' most appreciate it!

Thanks.  Mike.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:33:10 AM by mikehinz »
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »
The first link requires me to request permission. I didn't try that.
The second link though showed me the drawing.
Odd.

Your embedded photo looks fine.

Do you know if you can do videos from there?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
I am getting the same thing Mike. The photos look fine though.

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 01:37:48 AM »
Hi,
Reply # 21 is missing three Photos or drawings ? Picture that show are fine.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 01:54:41 AM »
Did you modify your post?
I still see the first photo...but like 'toolznthings' says...I can't see see the other 3.
All I see is the symbol (similar to the European 'no parking' sign).
"To work. To work."

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 02:03:33 AM »
Did you modify your post?
I still see the first photo...but like 'toolznthings' says...I can't see see the other 3.
All I see is the symbol (similar to the European 'no parking' sign).

Could I ask you to check that post again?  I think I've fixed it.  There should be 2 links to drawing hosted on my Google Drive account.  Then there should be 4 pix that should directly display. 

Between getting the correct url copied/pasted and getting the permissions correct on the Google Photo Album for this build, it's been a real problem! 

I've started checking my posts from my wife's computer with no log-in to this site and it seems to render there correctly now.

Sorry for all the issues from me on this!

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 02:22:33 AM »
I see all now.  ;D

Sorry for all the issues from me on this!

No worries. We've all been there. And I've returned a few times.
"To work. To work."

toolznthings

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 02:25:12 AM »

"Fly cutting column to required thickness and to get a good finish."
After this I still have a " minus " sign. Everthing esle shows. 

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 02:41:41 AM »
Ok, I've redone that URL again and I've check that post from 2 different computers using 2 different accounts.  It works for me now. 

If possible, could you please try it one more time?

Sorry for this mess!

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal