Author Topic: Hello from Finland  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Moxis

Hello from Finland
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »
I would like to introduce me. I have retired a few years ago, and have since been busy with my best hobby,  model building. My latest builds are scratch built models of a French cutter Le Cerf of 1795 in scale 1/48, and a Finnish lake steamer Maaninka in scale 1/25.
My next build is also a steam powered sloop, which I am planning to equip with self made steam engine. For this I have thought to build a two cylinder slide valve engine Marcher, for which I have bought plans and castings from a UK company Reeves.
This is my first steam engine, and I am not sure if I can fabricate all parts correctly, so this is why I am asking if some of you has made this engine earlier, or know if there exist somewhere instructions or articles of building the Marcher?

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hello from Finland
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
Hi Moxis,

Welcome to the forum.

That is quite an ambitious project.  I have had my eye on that engine for quite a while.  It was fully described by the designer in the Model Engineer magazine.  I can't easily access my copies at the moment, but I am sure one of the other forum members will be able to find it in the index, and let you know how to order back copies.

Please do a build thread as you go.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
Welcome Moxis!

Lots of people here who can help, post up some pictures of the parts you want to machine, and I'm sure someone can give you some advise.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Moxis!!  Glad to have you join us.

Bill

Offline Baner

• Cowaramup, Western Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
Hi Moxis and welcome.

The magazines MJM460 mentioned are: 3897,3899,3901,3903,3905,3907 (from the Model Engineer index). You can find back issues here: https://www.dd-design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15_4_99 though they are missing issue 3897.
Starting a build log and asking questions here will be more useful than the magazines though. ;D
Dave.

Offline Moxis

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:11:10 PM »
Thank you all for your nice words. It seems that there are very nice and helpful people also in this forum.

It may be, as Dave suggested, that it is better to start building the engine and at the same time also a build log of it, and in case of problems just ask people for help;  than order those back issues of ME magazine. So I will do that in a few days and start the log. We will see then how it goes.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:37:18 AM »
Hi Moxis,
Welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to seeing your build!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Moxis

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »
Thanks a lot guys for welcoming me into the forum! As promised earlier, I was trying to start a build log about my engine, but couldn`t upload any pictures. So I am wondering what might be the reason for that, are my pictures too large or what? Normally they are at the range of 250...300 kb.

Offline Baner

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
How are you trying to upload photos Moxis, and what is happening when you do?

Dave.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:22:56 PM »
Welcome Moxis,

On one thread I read that you must have at least 5 post before you can upload any photos. Maybe Bill can tell you something.

Again welcome to the Forum.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Moxis

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
Under the text area there is a text Attach. When I press that, there appears a box: Select files. When I select a picture from my tablet memory, it's size appears in the box, but I cannot attach the selected picture into the text.
It may be that I have to make 5 postings before I can attach pictures into my text. We will see, soon I have made those 5 postings. This is already fourth.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
Using the attachment feature only adds the photo/document after all text. If you attach 3 pictures...they will all appear one after another after all text.

As for just seeing the size...I've noticed after attaching a photo that it is sometimes several minutes before the picture actually attaches and view-able.
Keep in mind too, there is a limit to the size of the attachment. If it's too big...it may not take.

To have pictures etc. within text, I believe you have to use a hosting site. I think there's a thread somewhere that talks about this.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 07:42:01 PM »
Hello again Moxis,

This is what I do to add a photo. First off I have created a folder titled "Forum" in my main Pictures Folder. This is where I store all photos that I will upload to this Forum.

I enter the text that I want,
then
I click on the Attachments and other options,
then I click on Browse, which opens the folder "Forum",
then
I pick the photo and click on Open, this sends the photo. If you have more than one, click on (more attachments) to add one more.

I am adding a photo of a flywheel.

Hope this will help.
Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

Offline Moxis

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 06:05:45 AM »
Thanks for instructions, Zeeprogrammer and Thomas. It seems that adding photos in this forum is a little more difficult than somewhere else. I really have to practize first adding photos into my text, before starting a build log here.

So this is my fifth posting, now everything should be easier after this one.

Edit: I did exactly what Thomas adviced, the size of my photo which I tried to add is 223 kb, max allowable being 1024 kb, but still the program does not allow me to add photos.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:24:40 AM by Moxis »

Offline Baner

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
I use Flickr and embed my photos so I'm not familiar with attaching photos directly. I don't think you get preview images on this forum when you attach photos, as you would on other forums. As Zee said the  photos can only go after the text. You cannot attach a photo and then write something after it. Not sure if that's what's going on. Can you try a test image in this thread? I'll try it myself too.

Dave.

(Edit) There's no preview images but they show up when you post. Here's a screen shot of what you see for photo attachments on the draft page:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:57:30 PM by Baner »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 06:45:24 PM »
What bothers me is that Moxis said he was able to see the size of the attachment.
That makes me think 'something' worked.
I've seen after posting that my image doesn't immediately show up...but the little text (that gives the size and number of times viewed) under the image does.
If I wait a bit, or leave and come back, then the image is there.

Where did you notice the size of the attachment?

BTW Moxis, clicking on that little text should cause a download of the image.

I use Chrome and the download tab shows at the bottom.
When I click on that, another window with the image shows up.

I did that with Thomas' 1st image and noticed it took a while to display.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Moxis

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »
Thanks again guys for your help. I try to add a photo or two, let`s see if it works. It may be that it takes a while before it shows here, so I try to be patient.

Edit: Aa it worked when I hit the Post button. So now I think I can add photos, hurraa :cheers:

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
Hello again Moxis,

OK, your photo shows now, you are good to go.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal