Author Topic: Experimenting with a pulse generator for ignition coil  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Experimenting with a pulse generator for ignition coil
« on: August 13, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
Experimenting with a pulse generator for ignition coil says it all. I purchased it off Ebay some time back for $2.00 to play with. It was a hot very humid day so I played with it to see if I could get it t work as an ignition coil. It will throw a nasty spark at 1.5v "D" battery to 12v lantern battery.
Any way here is a video of the experimenting I did with it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1xMXwxL24" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1xMXwxL24</a>

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Experimenting with a pulse generator for ignition coil
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 01:16:13 AM »
That's got some umpf behind it doesn't it!.....

I wonder how well small spark plugs will survive with that before they bypass...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
I would be interested to see how long these hold up when used for model I.C. engine ignition.
They are a bargain compared to other ignition sources!
 Scott

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
   Well so far I've ran my 6 cycle engine about a total of 1.5 hours with it on a 4.5 rechargeable battery and seems to be working ok. So now I'm going to take the base the motor sets on and machine a pocket in it to wire it in. I plan on wiring it in with a plug to recharge battery and switch and LED indicator light. I did mis-speak in the video I am planning on building 2 more IC engines before going back to steam. I have worked on my version of a hoglet with a fully enclosed lower end and have it all modeled up plus I have the knuckle Head modeled up. So I plan on working on them before going back to team I have a couple steam engines I want to get built. I will start the Hoglet this fall after weather turns. Anyway I'll keep you posted if this little unit will hold up or not.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »
Looking good Doc, keep us up to date.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »
  Ran the engine on and off a few time the pulse generator still preforming as it should. I added one to a TM-6 unit that I put together and preforms nicely at 4 volts.

I did get the other style of HV generator that I was going to give a try. It will not work as an ignition coil as it is to slow it has a pause to charge up and voltage isn't near as high as the one I'm using on the engine.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 01:52:12 PM »
  Just an update the unit on the 6cycle slowly died. I'm hoping it was heat that killed it as I had it in a small compartment in the bottom of the base. It just slowly got weaker until it wasn't strong enough to work correctly. So now I'm going to create a pocket in the top of the base and attach a heat sink plate to it and see if that will work. It did last quite awhile before giving in. Plus I'm going t decrease the voltage to 3 volts I was at 4.5 volts so that may help also. I will keep you posted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal