Author Topic: Educating the "Youngin's"  (Read 5692 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Educating the "Youngin's"
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »
In an attempt to put some cheer into this thread, I used to be an Imagineering Tutor - after school for 10-11 year olds. It was always oversubscribed because the children learned to build model aeroplanes, Morse code buzzers, single transistor radios (with earbuds!). Have a look at their website :-

https://imagineering.org.uk/clubs/information

The story I have to tell was told by an amazed father at one parent's evening. His little girl was" helping" him with some DIY project and he asked her to hand him a screwdriver. She replied "Do you want it for a crosshead or a slotted screw?"

It is real surprising how much information young minds can absorb but you have to spend the time with them.

Ian

It's amazing isn't it?    A mind is like a parachute.   It only works when it's open!   I'm happy to state, that this youngin is coming around.   He likes the nuts and bolts, and asks why a lot.    Good for him!....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
 Great Dave!!! You got through to him. I had an email from a former advisee this morning ( the school email is still active) wondering why he has a hold and can't register for classes which begin next monday :ShakeHead:. As I recall he never finalized a plan for my approval last spring. He also missed/ignored the email back in May noting my retirement and assigning him a new advisor.  :ShakeHead: :ShakeHead:.

Some you get through to, some just never get it. If I had had one I would have emailed him back an application for Mc Donald's.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:20:04 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
Great Dave!!! You got through to him. I had an email from a former advisee this morning ( the school email is still active) wondering why he has a hold and can't register for classes which begin next monday :ShakeHead:. As I recall he never finalized a plan for my approval last spring. He also missed/ignored the email back in May noting my retirement and assigning him a new advisor.  :ShakeHead: :ShakeHead:.

Some you get through to, some just never get it. If I had had one I would have emailed him back an application for Mc Donald's.

Bill

:lolb:
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
Kind of reminds me of this oldie but goodie

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ</a>

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
Now that's funny. Never heard of the guy but I shore doo like 'im!

:lolb: :lolb:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »
Nice one Bill!

Dave, glad you got it all sorted out.

John

Offline Shadow

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 12:08:37 AM »
A resident doctor came up to me and asked if I could help him with his microscope. I followed him to the end of the room and he pointed to it. I asked what the problem was and he said "there is no light." I reached over and turned the switch on. He asked if that was all that was the matter with it. In the middle of a group was not the time to go any further. Possibly he needed to do something not involving any equipment.

A favorite of mine.

I overheard two nurses in scrubs walking down the hall when one said "My husband called and asked if I had seen his stink bait bucket".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2018, 12:15:41 AM »
I overheard two nurses in scrubs walking down the hall when one said "My husband called and asked if I had seen his stink bait bucket".

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb: Ah man...that brought back some memories.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »
Dave  first impression is WOW just Wow.   But thinking about the situation I have a couple questions  and a comment. Was the proper work surface available in the shop . a large lead block ?? A  piece of end grain wood a piece of tree stump.  or at least a sheet of heavy plywood? And the other thing that comes to mind IIRC leather is often tooled on a granite or marble surface. So a casual exposier to leather working could have caused  this confusion especial if an appropriate surface was not readily  available.

I am not trying to make any excuses here. But maybe offering an alternate perspective. Proper supervision and training go a long way . one can not assume anything. with the inexperienced. And yes you handled the situation well.

If I send someone to my hammer drawer there are at least 10 choices. I need to remember that.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 11:36:47 PM »
Dave  first impression is WOW just Wow.   But thinking about the situation I have a couple questions  and a comment. Was the proper work surface available in the shop . a large lead block ?? A  piece of end grain wood a piece of tree stump.  or at least a sheet of heavy plywood? And the other thing that comes to mind IIRC leather is often tooled on a granite or marble surface. So a casual exposier to leather working could have caused  this confusion especial if an appropriate surface was not readily  available.

I am not trying to make any excuses here. But maybe offering an alternate perspective. Proper supervision and training go a long way . one can not assume anything. with the inexperienced. And yes you handled the situation well.

If I send someone to my hammer drawer there are at least 10 choices. I need to remember that.

Well, his supervisor, told him to do it on the plate.   Neither one of them asked me first.   I stated to the CEO...that's not happening again.    The go to me first.

His supervisor let him swing too..... :Mad:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2018, 01:04:45 AM »
Sound like the supervisor needs some training !!!
Almost as bad as using a starrett  0.0001 mic for a c clamp.
worse momentarily of course.
Like i asked earlier do they have an appropriate backing surface.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:00:58 AM by Tin Falcon »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2018, 01:42:14 AM »
No....6 months ago there wasn't even a shop....it's growing in spits and spurts...and I have limited space....but I do have lumber for the cover!... 8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2018, 01:59:49 AM »
IMHO you need to find buy or scrounge a piece of  3/4 ply about a foot square  that can be sacrificed for beating on and  a small piece of bench to park it.
And yes make a cover for the surface plate.
As far as tight space know all about it.

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »

Well, his supervisor, told him to do it on the plate.   Neither one of them asked me first.   I stated to the CEO...that's not happening again.    The go to me first.

His supervisor let him swing too..... :Mad:

Dave

This comment says a lot,, how can the youngster be blamed when his "boss" supervisor?  told him to use the plate??? To me the fault is with the so called SUPERVISOR not the young person... he is the person that a few quiet well chosen words should be said to.... Definitely outside the hearing or view of anyone else.. :Mad: :cussing: :slap:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2018, 02:01:46 AM »
Ok guys   context is drifting    enough now
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal