Help! > Specific Engine Help

Help needed on 4-4-0 Baldwin

(1/3) > >>

Grant Jones:
I am constructing a 4-4-0 Baldwin, 1872 vintage. Drawings are not available for the model I am building, however I have a couple of plans that are very close. The one big difference with my model is, it has three domes...the one closest the cab being the steam dome, the middle the sand dome, and the front one closest to the smoke box contains the throttle. The throttle valve is the slide valve type. Can someone provide me with the sketch or drawing of the general arrangement that would illustrate how I pipe the steam line from the steam dome to the throttle dome. I am building in 1" scale.

Dan Rowe:
Grant, attached is a drawing sectional drawing of a 1871 Baldwin 4-4-0 with 3 domes, the forward dome is simply another steam dome. The throttle gets steam from the forward dome and sends it through the forward tube sheet to the cylinders.

It looks like the rear steam dome is simply a fancy mount for the safety valve and whistle.

Dan

crueby:
Hi Dan,

What are those two fittings coming up above the firebox into the rear steam dome? Blower intakes? Gauge pickups?

Chris

Dan Rowe:
Chris, I think that they are stay rods riveted to the dome shell.

Dan

Grant Jones:
Thanks Dan that section you posted really clarifies what I needed to know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version