Author Topic: Hello from Maumee, Ohio  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Almega

Hello from Maumee, Ohio
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:50:05 AM »
Hi,  I am relatively new to machining metal, though I was a master cabinetmaker once upon a time.  My machinery is basic and I am hoping to be able to make functional model engines, both steam and I/C using manual processes, not really interested in CNC.  I have done a lot of reading and Youtube viewing and so have gained a little arm chair knowledge.  I will be retiring soon and wanted a satisfying hobby that wasn't too dusty and noisy (woodworking) and would result in something that really works.  I currently have a nice Logan 400 lathe, 4x6 bandsaw, 15" drill press and just took delivery of a Grizzly G0759 mill.  I am still trying to figure out how to get the mill into the basement workshop.  It is heavier than I thought.  I am looking forward to sharing with like minded people on the site.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Hello from Maumee, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:15 AM »
 :hi:
With your woodworking background, the display bases for your engines will be no problem!
Last year I moved one of the Grizzley mills, not too bad with two people, alone would be nasty without a big hand truck, especially on stairs.
Any thoughts on a first model? Definitely start simple, work your way up. We have lots of people hear with both manual and cnc machines, great place for tips and questions.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:20:44 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. I see you are in the USA but whereabouts? It's a great hobby and being recently retired as well, I look forward to more shop time to devote to it. Glad to have you aboard!

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:41:06 AM »
He's somewhere in Ohio. He's going to like that G0759.

I'm looking forward to some pics and builds!

Welcome to the forum.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 05:48:28 AM »
Hi Almega,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline Jeff Michel

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
Greetings from Attica, Ohio and welcome. Lots of very talented people congregate here.
Jeff

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
Note to self...read the thread subject line  :lolb:. Anyway, welcome again Almega.

Bill

Offline Almega

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 12:36:47 AM »
Thanks for the kind welcomes.  Maumee is near Toledo, Ohio (I know, but everyone has to be somewhere) and for a first engine, I haven't yet decided, but I think it will be a relatively simple steam model, just to get my feet wet and allow me to better learn to use the tools of the trade.  Any thoughts as to what might be good to start with and where to get the plans would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking forward to the opportunity to learn a new trade.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 02:58:30 AM »
Almega, many of us began with one of Elmer Verbergs designs which can be found here :

http://john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

All are made from bar stock so if you need to remake a part as we all do at times, you are only out some material and not a casting. You will find many build logs of his designs here on the forum.

Bill

Offline Almega

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:27 AM »
Just curious, but does anyone know about how long it will be before I am approved as a member and will be allowed to post to this site?

Offline Almega

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 12:55:47 AM »
For a first engine has anyone built the first steam engine shown in the book, The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt?  It is a small horizontal single acting engine that I was thinking of scaling it up a bit and trying to build. 

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »
Welcome Almega

Well you are already posting here or I wouldn't be able to read your previous posts .... so just jump in an show us some pictures or whatever you (almost) please.

Best wishes

Per

toolznthings

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 01:03:12 AM »
Welcome and post away !  :)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 01:09:05 AM »
Almega, yes you are already approved of you wouldn't be able to post anything. Are you have any specific difficulties....like posting pictures, etc.??

Bill

Offline Almega

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »
Are you have any specific difficulties....like posting pictures, etc.??

When I tried to post a faceplate project I just completed, with pictures, I got a message saying I was not yet approved and could not post.  The pics weren't too large and the total size was well below the maximum allowed per post.  Maybe I will try again tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal