Author Topic: Mobility Vehicle challenges  (Read 15697 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Mobility Vehicle challenges
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
Hiding in the shade I decided that giving the other side a poke to see the extent of the damage was worth while  :thinking: It is worse than the first end and I need to do a lot of digging out to be able to repair that :facepalm:

So I had a poke at the side of the door with a crowbar and after 20 mins it fell down :naughty:  Except that little steel pin that had been reinforcing the post. I pulled it, I wobbled it I tried putting a clamp around it to give me something better to hold on to but it wasn't going anywhere  :ShakeHead: Not one to be beaten off to the workshop find an 8mm drill... drill hole in piece of metal, poke old bolt in hole and use the crow bar on that  :ThumbsUp: It was a little longer than I anticipated  :o

I need to look at how I can reinforce the corner of the stable next  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
Looks like the roof timbers could do with some remedial work too. Whoever put those new timbers in ran them in the wrong direction, for a corrugated roof you need purlins not rafters. The corrugations give the stifness down the pitch and the purlins support the sheets across the direction they bend in. That is why the joints of the noggins have all pulled out as that is the direction of the load.

May have been easier to take it down and start afresh ontop of a nice solid slab.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
You are not saying my father did a bodge job are you all those years ago  :stickpoke: It has stood for 20 years without any problems. Unless the plastic splits it will probably out last me. My father did that decorative set of joints in the noggins they look just as professional today as when he first did them  ::)

There is a lot of stuff to come out to fix this side so time to give up and do some retirement practise  :DrinkPint:

Jo

ChuckKey

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2018, 09:49:30 PM »
What is the Wickham pump for?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2018, 05:45:58 AM »
A quick poke with a spade and it must be breakfast time  :thinking:

As expected the front corner has one of those new fangled air bearings   :noidea: Need to fix that before hanging the doors  ;)

What is the Wickham pump for?

Its for someone who wants to give it some TLC  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:11:15 AM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »
Some of us have not been skiving  :hellno: they have been gardening  :ThumbsUp: And have now been allowed back to do a bit of gentle retirement exercise...

The air bearing has been supplemented with a met post and a repair pillar which should be easily replaceable in the future if needed and additional met posts have been added along the wall for extra strength  :) . The doors have been hung and are about 5/16" over width  :facepalm: Brown stuff  :ShakeHead:  Working with the brown stuff  :toilet_claw:

Its too hot so time to give in and have some refreshments  :wine1:

Jo

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »
Jo,
Those hinges look very solid. Did you have to special order those? I like that they are half the width of the door. Following up on the roof sagging in spots would something like this be helpful?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-LUS-2-in-x-6-in-Z-MAX-Galvanized-Double-Shear-Face-Mount-Joist-Hanger-LUS26Z/100375105
Might something like this be helpful without undoing everything?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 05:51:05 AM »
Morning Art  :) Those are cheap off the shelf Gate hinges: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversible-Gate-Hinges-600mm-24-Pair-Galvanised-Heavy-Duty-Stable-Door-X-H077/272249072893?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 I was very surprised how cheap door furniture is these days. I have been hoarding second hand odds and ends for years but at these prices I have been turfing out all the old stuff.

The roof has not sagged it is just Jason picking holes in things as normal  :disappointed: Those horrible looking noggins are my father's DIY  :-[ I try hard to avoid letting him loose on anything to avoid features like those  :paranoia: What really gets me is the way when I do a good job he claims I take after him  :hellno:

I won't bother with updates for the second side repairs you have seen it all before  ;) That's assuming it works  :Lol: Other side well underway  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:57:19 AM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
The two ends are finished and I have levelled the floor for the concrete. I am planning on four pours each of just over 1m wide - this takes into account how far I can reach to level and how much concrete I might be able to mix before I feel my age  :old:

The sandy ballast and cement is not due for four days  :facepalm: but I might be tempted to check out the back wall and possibly underpin that with old bricks as well  :thinking:

I will need to make up the cementing frame but does the damp coarse go inside or outside the frame?  :noidea:

Jo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:29:37 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
I would certainly put the three dividers ontop of the sheet so that you get a single joint free membrain, remove one divider after each pour. I would also brace the dividers so they don't bulge with the weight of concrete.

Ideally the sheet would go in first and be turned up the edges and the outer formwork removed but as you have the walls in the way that won't be possible. If the outer timber can be removed and the space infilled with concrete then I would put poly in first if not do outer frame then polly then dividers. Alternative would be no outer frame and concrete upto the walls but does make it a bit harder to level as nothing to run a tamp along, poly turned up walls.

I can see what has happened to the roof now, the whole back wall has dropped easily seen from the cilll of that side window. Rafter on right is supported by the central post and not supported at the rear and just waving in the air. All other rafters resting on the sunken wall plate so the roof dips making it look like it sags. In an ideal world either lift back wall or increase head height with a new plate.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
Jason

Better get over and give Jo a hand to get it done to your satisfaction  :stir:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
She won't pay my rates :LittleDevil:

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »
So you want more than a cup of tea and a bacon butty for a days work for a fine Young Lady ,just retired

Shame on you  :stir:

Stuart

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »
She won't pay my rates :LittleDevil:

This is very true, my natural frugal nature is why I could afford to retire rather earlier than Jason will be  :lolb:

I did consider getting my friendly builder to do it with his gang of illegal immigrants :-X but because of their very reasonable rates (endless cups of tea, with a minimum of two packets of biscuits and all they can eat at lunchtime every day) they are in great demand  :-\

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
I couldn't risk being accused of taking after my father  :hellno: so before breakfast I have been out and under pinned the back wall and added extra timbers to bring the bottom of the wall level so that the membrane frame can be lent against it.

I am in danger of having a little workshop time before the concreting materials turn up  :thinking: ... Mustn't slack I am not at work any more   :lolb:

Jo
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:16:44 PM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal