Author Topic: Mobility Vehicle challenges  (Read 15721 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Mobility Vehicle challenges
« on: August 02, 2018, 06:29:48 AM »
I have been warned that there is a risk as we get older that we become less mobile so before I get into a rut i.e. move permanently into my workshop and am never seen again  :slap: ,  I am looking at buying myself a mobility vehicle  :mischief:

I don't want to have to give up my old Pug or make it have to be parked on the drive  :hellno: so if I am going to buy the mobility vehicle (test drive booked for the 8th  ;) )  I will need to clear out the second garage bay for it. This means I need to find new homes for my bench trailer, the Lawn tractor and my two Classic motorcycles. I initially looked at the idea of buying another shed but a decent one costs more than three casting sets  :paranoia: So the current plan is to convert the disused stable into a bike and tractor garage with double doors and to store the trailer behind the garage.

So much for retiring into the workshop. Its DIY time  :toilet_claw:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Mobility Vehicle challenges
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:54:17 AM »
Jo
I know that feeling all to well

Started with a walking stick moulded hand grip Ali job
Then two crutches
Then moblity pavement scooter

What are you looking at

Car , pavement or off road

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:54:56 AM »
Before I am told off for the lack of pics I have just been out for you:

The challenged garage bay with Lawn tractor and my bench trailer that has some of the stuff on it that has been extracted from the stable. The Stable itself and yet more hoardings :facepalm2: Finally the two blue doors that I have been using to prevent the rain getting onto my stored wood on the log store.  :noidea:

The work plan: clear the stable, repair the stable, take off the existing door and the timber up to the corner and fit the two blue doors, concrete the floor, once dry move the hoarding back in complete with motorbikes and the tractor. All of this will need to be done before I am allowed the Mobility Vehicle  :disappointed:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:58:04 AM »
Morning Stuart  :)

What are you looking at: Car , pavement or off road

Its a car: after last year's surgery I find driving uncomfortable and have been avoiding it so hopefully the new vehicle will make me feel better when I drive it  :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:40:45 AM »
Jo

Hope it does the job for you

As for our car as it’s an auto and it’s my left leg is duff as well as my left foot it’s ok

The seats are the typical BMW with all the adjustment in a air compressor driven lumber support squeeze do da.  So I get on ok with it

Now my scar is nearly gone I don’t get any discomfort from that

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »
Already the old lady needs a coffee break  :facepalm: One side cleared, some rubbish  ::) plenty of construction materials and my concrete mixer has been found.

It looks like the build is going to be slightly delayed as the door furniture is not due until Tuesday next week  :( and it is probably worth delaying the concreting until later in the week when it is due to be a bit cooler.

Hope it does the job for you

Everyone who has ever had one says using it put a smile on back their face  ;)

Now my scar is nearly gone I don’t get any discomfort from that

You are lucky I have been told another 12 months before I am 100%.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
Just make sure the scooter has got a sturdy basket on the front for all those castings and your zip front fur lined slippers.

Have you got a name for it yet?

You could sell that old drawing board stand, they make quite reasonable prices when converted to "industrial tables" as do old lathe stands.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
Have you got a name for it yet?

I was thinking Minx  :naughty:

You could sell that old drawing board stand, they make quite reasonable prices when converted to "industrial tables" as do old lathe stands.

:thinking: I hadn't thought of that. I was wondering what to do with it. I also have got the parallel motion and angle head etc.

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »

And why not ???   ;D  My first car was a Hillman Super Minx Estate and I did naughty things in mine ...  :LittleDevil: 

Like this except mine was 2-tone marroon / grey

http://www.simoncars.co.uk/hillman/slides/Hillman%20Super%20Minx%20Series%20IV%20estate%20rear.jpg

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »

And why not ???   ;D  My first car was a Hillman Super Minx Estate and I did naughty things in mine ...  :LittleDevil: 

:facepalm2:

No worries about that in this one :hellno:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »

:facepalm2:

No worries about that in this one :hellno:

Jo

Not bothering with 'Privacy Glass' then ????  Quite right too.  :LittleAngel:  :lolb:

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
I thought you might have called it Moby but probably a better idea not to knowing what you will want to add onto the end of that :-X

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
Boys :disappointed:

The stationary engine clearly liked it in there and I had to use a scaffold bar as a pry bar to get it out  :ShakeHead: All clear so now the repairs can start :ThumbsUp:

The intention is to lay 100mm of concrete for the floor. I am planning to do it as four strips as I can't hand mix all of it in one go  :hellno: especially in this weather. But does it need a polythene membrane under it  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
A DPM would help stop any dampness working it's way up from the ground below and for a few quid out of the casting fund would be worth adding. In this weather it will also keep the new slab moist for longer so you get a better set rather than have it all wicked away into that dusty dry soil.

Are you keeping the pump and engine, can't see you really feeling the need to restore that and take it to shows You never know the income from that may pay for a couple of strapping lads from one of the "mix and place" firms rather than knocking yourself up while knocking up all that concrete.

Or you could remove the pump and add a seat and drive train for a simple home brewed mobility scooter :LittleDevil:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
Ta, options on DPM: Rubber water tank liner or some plastic DPM stuff not sure how big that is  :noidea:

The review of the condition shows that the two ends need the bottom 12" of the cladding replacing and as expected the bottom of the main uprights have all rotted out  :(

Brown stuff   :paranoia: working in the brown stuff  :paranoia: brown stuff  :toilet_claw:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal