Author Topic: 1/4 Galloway valve question  (Read 1299 times)

Offline blockmanjohn

1/4 Galloway valve question
« on: July 15, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a question about a 1/4 scale Galloway hit or miss engine that I am building. I have progressed to the part where I have to make the valves. The plans call for a 41 degree valve seat and a 45 degree valve. I have been told that this may be too much of a difference. With no practical experience on this, should I just follow the plans? Also, I would like to use 12L14 for the valves. Again, with no experience, is this a good choice? Thanks in advance for any advice. John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: 1/4 Galloway valve question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:36:01 PM »
John--I have always used plain old cold rolled steel for my valves and never had a problem with them. I cut my valve seats to an included angle of 45 degrees and the valves with an included angle of 46 degrees.--Brian

Offline gbritnell

Re: 1/4 Galloway valve question
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 12:45:57 AM »
John,
For hit and miss engines I fabricate the valves from drill rod. That way you can use standard stock for the stems (nice and smooth) and turn up a disc for the head. To assemble them I use 45% silver solder. Once together I trim the head to size and cut the seat surface. Hit and miss engines don't get that hot so there's virtually no way they can come apart.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal