Author Topic: 1/4 Scale Ford Cosworth DFV  (Read 8884 times)

Offline JonC

1/4 Scale Ford Cosworth DFV
« on: July 29, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »
Hi all,

I have been a member since 2015 and have viewed some absolutely incredible builds on this site. The skill and dedication shown by people has been amazing and an inspiration for me to start my own project.

My interest is my passion for Formula 1 racing through the 1970's and 80's and the engine that powered most of the teams through this period, the Ford Cosworth DFV.

Being the most successful engine in F1 history it has always surprised me that no-one has ever built a proper scale model as a tribute to this incredible engine, it's designer and the brave drivers who it powered to victory and so I thought I would try to do something of my own to address this.

I would like to say at this stage that although I am an engineer and run an engineering company for my work, I have never been involved with any model engineering projects and so I'm starting literally from scratch on this. Also it was never my intention to post any of the work I have done on here but I have been asked to do so by another member who thinks that it might be of interest to others.

In no way does anything I have done so far, compare or come anywhere near to the work carried out by the members on this website.

I will start the explanation of the journey so far soon.

thanks
It's not what you know, it's not who you know.
It's what you know about who you know

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 1/4 Scale Ford Cosworth DFV
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 09:27:04 PM »
Welcome Jon

Glad you have a passion for this..so I'll take that first post as your introduction.

Dave
…..and do a search on 917.....  8)
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:50:40 PM »
Jon,
Welcome to the forum. It takes all sort's and you find a smattering of everything here with every conceivable combination of machines.
Since Dave & mike suggested a few I'll throw out a few for suggested reading.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3846.0.html
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3007.0.html
I have built my first two engines as singles and am working on cad for an inline 4 next.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline JonC

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »
Dave, Mike, Art

Thanks for the swift replies, appreciated. I'm still very clunky on here having never posted before but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Mike, very few drawings exist however I started with the knowns ie bore, stroke, deck height, cylinder spacing etc and things developed from there.
I'm in Harrogate north Yorks

Dave, yes please. I probably should have done a more general intro first but again new to any posting.

Jon

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »
Hi and welcome Jon. I am sure you will get the hang of things soon and look forward to your future posts.

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:26:34 AM »
Hi Jon and welcome to the group.

Vince

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:03:14 AM »
Hi Jon,
Welcome to MEM!
I'm sure you will find that many people will be interested in a build like this, and willing to offer any support or help you might need.  So, post away!  And make sure to include plenty of pictures too :)

Kim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

That's certainly a challenge, but an achievable one  :) The late Profesor Chaddock Was building a model of the 1 1/2 litre BRM V8 which resulted in him designing and making the Quorn tool and cutter grinder to make the tools to make the engine.

http://www.modelenginenews.org/meng/quorn/dhc.html

Looking forward to some pictures  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »
Here is a great video for inspiration:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OBfOcx7CA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OBfOcx7CA</a>

Offline JonC

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

As I said on my first post, I am no model engineer but do hope to make it something that I can get involved with more toward my retirement. For now though the aim was to produce a cast aluminium replica of the DFV but also to see what challenges may lay ahead if it was ever going to be taken further to a running engine. I am well aware however that as a first project, a running 1/4 scale quad cam V8 would be a little ambitious.

I chose 1/4 scale as a good size that can be displayed easily anywhere and drew in full scale the external features of the main components ie block, crankcase, head, cam carrier and cam cover. I then printed 2D drawings in 1/4 scale from this and then glued them to wood to use as a guides to produce models of each piece by hand.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
Nice...if nothing else something to keep you motivated towards that longer term goal of a running engine!!

Bill

Offline JonC

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
I then got talking to a friend of mine who owns a 3D printing bureau about whether he could scan these models to produce wax versions for investment casting and realised that I had waisted hours producing these as the CAD drawings could be converted to stl files and directly loaded onto his cloud for printing. This also meant that much more detail could be included so I developed the drawing to include as much detail as possible.

Offline JonC

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
This is now where I'm at with the 3D printed version. The engine has most of the water cavities and oil journals and held together with 2mm & 3mm diameter magnets as most people want to pull it apart to see internally.

Offline JonC

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »
More pictures

Offline JonC

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 09:04:29 PM »
and more

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal