Author Topic: Hello from Idaho  (Read 1247 times)

Offline num1bryanp

Hello from Idaho
« on: July 25, 2018, 05:02:44 AM »
Hello Makers,

I was an electronics tech, software guy, and project manager for Hewlett Packard's Storage Division for 25 years. After the worldwide group I was part of got told to hit the road, I have spent the last 7 years just working part-time fixing computers and some oddball handyman work. Last week it was updating a house to LED lighting and working on a broken CNC lathe. It does not bring in the big bucks but the diversity is far better than being a project manager with no authority. My dad was a Journeyman Machinist with Boeing and luckily some of that knowledge has rubbed off on me.

I was on the web looking for plans on how to build a 1/6 size 1900's Anzani 3 cylinder fan radial, for a 1/6 scale Bleriot RC plane I am starting.

I have been flying RC planes since 1975 and moved to electric powered planes for over 13 years now, but a Bleriot needs the look and sound of a real gas motor. After finding your webpage and reading about others building these wonderful radial motors, I am excited that there may be CAD/Drawing files around that I can use to build a working motor.

I hope this does not make me a sinner, but in my case, the motor would not need to exactly scale, therefore I would not need custom sand casting. I would just mill the motor body out of a block, and if it works I could soften the outer surface to give the casting look. I would also be open to plug timing from the crank using maybe a hall effect sensor and a small controller. If I could use a modern carburetor it would be nice, and of course, using any proven ideas for the mechanics that would help simplify the motor would be greatly appreciated!
I have a small machine shop with a manual 13"Leblond lathe and series one Bridgeport mill and have spent the last year working with AutoDesk Fusion 360 forum getting a working POST for my 1985 Bridgeport Interact 720 mill (VMC). It has a Heidenhain controller in it that most people have never heard of. (TNC 351/355)

I have been testing cutting machine wax on my "new to me" VMC and it is time for a real project.

I would be welcome to any suggestions to which group would be the best match for what I am wanting to do. I know I will need a lot of help from people who have been down the path before me.

Thanks,
Bryan
Nampa, Idaho USA

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Hello from Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
Hello Bryan and welcome to the MEM forum,

Sounds like you have some good equipment to work with and great ideas for projects. Hope to see some photos of your builds as they progress.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
Welcome!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bryan. You should be able to get some help/ ideas from several members here that have or are building Anzanis.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:08:24 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »
Hi Bryan
Welcome to MEM!

I'm just down the road from you in West Boise.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:32:14 PM by Dave Otto »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
Hi Bryan,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »
Hi Kim,

Welcome.  I am in Rexburg, Idaho on the other side of the state.  Look forward to your builds.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal